1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RICK SMITH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by the shark, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Debate all you want on Rick Smith. If you wrongly think he is a competent GM or rightly think he should be immediately fired, we should all be able to agree he is a complete weasel who has wormed his way right into saving his job.

2. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

what, i rightly think he is a good gm. this is a good roster. that is his job. this team was a superbowl contender two years ago and their starter got hurt. the dumbest move was extending that starter.

3. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

and let's not go back through the schaub supporters on this site. yeah, you guys aren't the gm so that shouldn't matter, but there was plenty of love for that guy when he got that ridiculous contract

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nope.

The fact that it is even questionable as to who was really making the decisions speaks volumes as to the state of "who is in charge" in this organization. Enough people have confirmed that the key acquisitions of this organization (Watt, Cushing, Foster, Schaub) had little to nothing to do with him.

If Smith was really in charge, he doesn't come out and complain that the "coaches have too much input in draft decisions." He also should then get MORE of the blame for a playoff team going 2-11.

If Smith was never really the one making all the decisions, he can't get the credit for any of the picks, good or bad... and that bothers me as well considering that this team still doesn't have a real GM.

I don't see what the big deal is. Its not like Smith is some well-respected veteran GM who has succeeded at every stop along the way, with no question that its all "coaching" in this situation. This is a DISASTER of a team from top to bottom...in terms of the draft, salary cap, and the play on the field... and really nobody in the front office or coaching staff deserves to keep their job.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What's Rick suppose to say to Bob, "yeah me and Gary are joined at the hip, you take him out you might as well take me..."

I still think Rick is just a bean counter and had limited say in player decisions, but I bet Bob wants to evaluate Rick on his own now without Gary.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This.

I could see Rick staying on as he continues his role as the "cap czar" and liaison between the coaches and the execs... while the team gets a new coach along with a new VP of player personnel (i.e. - a "gm"), or a coach that essentially does both.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

And that same depth issue is a large part of the problem with special teams.

8. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

exactly, its stupid.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

I never really put much stock into the special teams coach... good or bad. Rosters with lots of talent tend to also have good special teams units.

With the Texans, they have a lot of should be special teams players (Keo, McCain, K. Martin, insert any ILB other than Cushing) playing regular snaps because they don't have enough other good players.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Most of us in the media reported they wouldn’t try to sign Schaub until after the season. During a charity appearance for his GR8 Foundation, Schaub even admitted he thought it would be after the season.

“You didn’t hear any of us say that,” Smith said. “I didn’t say it because I was adamant that Matt was our quarterback, our leader, and we wanted to get him extended.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/anatomy-of-schaubs-contract-extension/

Rick Smith sucks. And is also a weasel.

11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

At best Smith is a mediocre GM to this point. Too many missed picks, and bad contracts. Still looking for linemen to replace Winston and Briesel. Still looking for a line backer to replace DeMeco Ryans. Overpaid Schaub when there was minimal threat that someone else would offer him any where close to as large of a contract. Signed Ed Reed instead of Glover Quin or going after the cheaper Charles Woodson who ended up with the Raiders. Woodson has 71 tackles and an interception, along with a fumble return for a touchdown this year.

Jonathon Joesph has been terrible this year. Manning is hurt. Spent a draft pick on Bullock who has been the worst kicker in the league this year. Mercilus, Reed, Swearinger, Sharpton, Harris, are all closer to being part of the problem than part of the solution so far. We shouldn't have so many needs and so many cap issues if it was strictly a coaching problem. He isn't the worst in the league, but the only reason for Bob to keep him is because he is under contract for another 3 years.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You're in salary cap hell. For 2 years of first-round playoff victories, you're in salary cap hell.

They couldn't find help through the draft to address secondary needs...he kept swinging and missing on those picks...so we had to go all in with Joseph and Manning. Huge contract to Schaub...choosing Reed over Glover....

Their record of drafting in the 2nd and 3rd round over Smith's tenure here is not good.

Given all that, I don't think he's worth bringing back....BUT...he's got about 3 years left on his deal, so my guess is Bob isn't going to want to pay him to hang out at home.

13. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

he's a weasel cause he kept his job. com on dude let's remain serious

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

To be fair, the roster should have made the Playoffs at least a year or two before we actually did thanks to Kubiak's inept coaching. The one year that we could have made the AFC Championship game, we had TJ Yates starting in the Playoffs, and still almost beat the Ravens.

15. MadMax

There's all kinds of "almosts" and "maybes" in the NFL. There's injuries every year for every team. There's tons of parity. All teams face that.

16. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

and the texans are still good. i mean it sounds ridiculous, but how many games were they picked sixed out of. they should have beat the best team in the league. they were up three scores on seattle.

they had one problem the last two seasons, unfortunately it was qb

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Google helps, but players have made comments about how he treats and addresses players. He is also godfather to one of McNair's grandchildren or something like that.

Anyway, I think, in the NFL, GMs generally get to pick at least one head coach before getting the axe.

Since Smith was a package deal with Kubiak, maybe he gets the can later?

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Smith gone too. But honestly after today and getting rid of the problems we did (including Schaub for all intents and purposes) I almost feel like I'm getting greedy.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yep, and he started setting up this scene 3 years ago when Kubiak dodged the first ax.

Even if you were to argue that Rick Smith wasn't to blame for the sub-0.400 hit rate in the last couple drafts, disastrous signings, cap issues, or anything else.....how can anyone possibly argue that he is the right guy to right the ship?

You have two types of GMs in a regime change: the GMs hired by the new coach, or the GM that is overseeing everything and the new coach answers to. If Rick wasn't in charge of the bad decisions, he's a sap that's not up to running the big show. If he was the guy making bad decisions, he's not up to running the big show. Which one is it?

And please don't try and say that the Texans are a more talented team today than they were two seasons ago. They've been getting worse as contributors left and were replaced by inferior replacements. Watt has been a shining star, but even he can't hide the legion of bombs.

1 person likes this.
  20. MadMax

they're not good. they're 2-11. they're terrible. stop fooling yourself. in a league full of parity and "winnable games" they've lost 11 in a row. they're awful.

if you think their only problem is QB, i'm not sure you've been watching closely. their secondary is awful. they have zero depth anywhere.