1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RICK SMITH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by the shark, Dec 6, 2013.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could not agree more! See the list of picks I posted earlier - there is no quality depth on this team. Once the top guys get hurt or have a drop in performance, it is over.

Bad depth and bad cap situation, but Kubiak gets the boot while Smith skates... smdh.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

Rick smith is not going anywhere..

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Whoever wrote that doesn't know anything about the GM job security. For one Smith didn't hire Kubiak. Kubiak get Smith the job.

4. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

This is what I'm hoping for as well.

5. Nook

Nook Member

For all we know McNair didn't want to fire both Kubiak and Smith during the season. Another possibility is that the next coach will bring his guy in and push Smith out.

6. SuraGotMadHops

Gruden's thing is developing QBs, the timing may be perfect with the Texans taking a QB in the 1st round, or working with Keenum as a backup/possible starter next year.

7. Summer Song Giver

The fact that Rick Smith is not going anywhere is just further proof that the problem is with the Mcnairs and their ability to run a football franchise. Kubiak is gone but nothing has changed folks.

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gruden won with Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson as his QBs, so with that as his background, he'd be more likely to try and "fix" Schaub than invest in a young QB. I know he has the Gruden QB camp thing on ESPN, but his track record in the NFL was built around the West Coast offense and a veteran QB.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Did I miss where McNair gave Rick an extension today? Seems pretty obvious to me that the new GM will depend on who the new coach is.

And before you say McNair doesn't have the balls to fire Smith, that's what everyone was saying about Kubiak just a few days ago.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is it? Name one QB he "developed".

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Bob doesn't see our talent level being a big issue. Rick was in on the decision to fire Kubiak. He'll be in on the decision to hire the new coach. He's going to be our GM.

This isn't like when Capers was fired and Casserly was only held on through the draft. We knew that was the case going in and that's not what's happening here.

If Smith does get pushed out, it won't be this year. Bob thinks we still have the talent to win and I think he wants to see how Smith and the roster perform divorced from Kubiak. If it still sucks then he might look at firing Smith next year. But I think he wants to give the roster the opportunity to prove that it was Kubiak, and not our talent level, that was the main problem. Based on talent alone, we should've beaten Jacksonville (twice), as well as Oakland and St. Louis. But we didn't and coaching is the reason why. Given how open the last playoff spot in the AFC is this year, I think this same roster would've had a very good chance at making the playoffs with a better coach at the helm.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He collects quarterbacks.

13. Summer Song Giver

If there was any consideration being given to firing Smith he wouldn't have been up there with Mcnair(s) today, he stays, because he is Cal Mcnair play buddy, they probably have matching expensive train sets that run throguh their houses. Regardless of Rick's mismanagement of the salary cap, failure to add quality players in the draft outside of round 1, none of that matters, Rick is Cal Mcnair's bestie.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm mixed on Rick Smith. He's made his share of mistakes too but he hasn't failed to the degree Kubiak has.

15. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

HAS TO GO TOO

There ya go, completes the thread title :)

16. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

You just don't get it do you.

Rick Smith is a Kubiak hire and Kubiak puppet, a know-nothing and do-nothing but whatever Kubiak told him to do. With Kubiak gone, his presence with the team is no longer relevant.

I give it to him that he's probably smarter than Kubiak in following what the owner directs him to do instead of defying the owner not once, not twice, but thrice.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not a fan, but I think he takes a little too much heat for drafting in the mid rounds. Not many teams consistently draft good players in the mid rounds. If they were that good, they would be taken earlier.

My problem with Smith is the big money contracts he hands out to players who probably aren't worth it (Schaub, Foster, and sadly even Cushing).

18. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Rick Smith acts like Isiaih Thomas with the NY Knicks.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forget about good... but how about being worthy enough to be on an NFL roster.

2nd and 3rd round picks should have a role on teams in this league. Many teams do consistently draft players who find a way to not only stick, but make an impact.

The Texans have trouble doing that.

This leads to spending big money on free agents, and continued cap hell that results in cuts or inability to keep your own free agents (Quinn).

Agreed that even if we limit Smith's only job to managing the cap (for which he was brought in here to do), he has NOT done a great job at doing that either.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lmao, dude your delusional. Let me this right, so according to you, Rick only had a hand in the bad picks and absolutely nothing to do with all the other good picks we had?

Your hatred for Rick Smith seems like something other than football related