1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman on why Terrence Williams isn't in the rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2011.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I'm not trying to relate blocks to team defense, I'm debunking the common myth that Chicago has no shot blockers when in reality they are one of the best shot blocking teams and have two of the top 15 blockers in the NBA.

You claim that we have that sort of talent/length/atheleticism on his team but we don't. As you pointed out even bad defensive teams can have good shot blockers but we don't and that is a purely personnel problem.

Defense is obviously a combination of scheme and talent which is why a formerly good defense like the Rockets can be bad which 75% of the same players as before and a team like NY can be bad with good shot blockers(Turiaf and Randolph have been good in the past as well).

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, I have to admit that I am genuinely perplexed by all of this emotion over Williams. Sure, the guy is a baller but so are a lot of the guys playing over at Fonde during the weekend. While he may be physically talented, he is also a head case and clashing with your head coach is a great way to wind up in the D-League. Folks here want to roast Adelman because he doesn't trust a guy with his attitude to play within his system. Imagine that. This guy had a falling out with a very good NBA coach (Johnson) and yet you guys act like AJ was snubbing the second coming Dominique Wilkins or something. Last time I looked, Avery Johnson was a solid NBA coach who knows what it takes to win a championship and he has the ring to prove it. EVERYTHING he said about the Mavericks has been proven to be true especially this year when they finally decided to start playing some defense and look at the result.

Yet somehow because Williams looks good in a few minutes of garbage time or on YouTube, he's suddenly "the answer" and a coach who won a championship as a player and another coach who has 900 wins are now some sort of dumbass for not elevating him ahead of guys who play basketball the right way in their system. This was the same stuff that was being posted here about Hill until he actually played and exposed his limitations on the court. And before anyone starts to blame Hill's problems on Adelman's system, remember that this is what the Rockets owner and you fans wanted, no make that demanded: an offensive minded coach. I watched the Uncle Les press conference when RA was hired and that's exactly what he wanted. You guys wanted JVG gone because he was too focused on defense and his offense sucked. Now you are ripping Adelman because he isn't focused enough on defense or because he won't tank the season and play guys at the end of the bench. I suppose that even if RA were to do what you guys wanted, he'd still get ripped for losing . Look, I'm not saying that he's the second coming of Red Auerbach but he's not as bad or as dumb or as stupid as he's being made out to be around here. It's always the coach who is at fault around here as this is a team loaded with great NBA players. Maybe, just maybe, it might be that this group of players is simply not up to the task of really contending. Oh, and I understood what Adelman meant in Clutch's video clip: They already have enough guys who can play at the 2/3 position - they need someone to man the 5 spot and they need him NOW.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not claiming that the Bulls do not have the ability to block shots. I am just stating that their current rotation players do not have much of a difference athleticly than the Rockets current rotation and bench. The team defense is just that much better.

Taj Gibson is doesn't have that many more gifts physically than that of a Pattrick Patterson, but he is high on this statistic because why???... He is not a better athlete, he isnt much longer, smarter, etc... Could it be that more shots are being blocked in general as the result of better team defense? Not saying its a fact, but its certainly logical.

When you have good team defense, you block more shots because you help side defense, clean rotations, and you stop dribble penetration.

If Shot blocking = better team defense and wins, then the Timberwolves should be one of the top defensive teams and be in the mix for the playoffs with Darko Milicic in the middle.

Its just my opinion here, but if you took the Rockets roster and just switched coaches from Adelman to Tom Thibs, I believe the team defense would be much improved. Not saying Adelman is any less of a coach then Thibs, but as a defensive coach, there are not very many people other than you that will debate me on this.

My point here is that there are much bigger problems here defensively than just a 7fter that can block shots. There have only been a few Centers in the history of the game that can make up for bad team defense with just size alone.

4. dobro1229

With that being said, the Rockets do still need a freaking Center for crying out loud.

-All of that had to be put out there just simply because I stated that Terrence Williams not playing has more to do with him not fitting within Adelman's system offensively than it does defensively, and it scares me that Adelman has not considered rotation changes to fix the biggest issue that is costing them wins and team continuity.... DEFENSE.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

And the offense would be a lot worse. The record overall would be about the same, probably a little worse. It just depends on how high you want the score to be when you watch the games.

6. dobro1229

Not sure if the offense would be much worse... just different. If you have talented scorers like Martin, Scola, Brooks, etc. the ball will find a way in the bucket.

The most basic play in the NBA is still the most effective... the pick and role. I can think of at least two players on this squad that could run the offense effectively off of the pick and role. Aaron Brooks, and yes... Terrence Williams.

There wouldn't be as many easy buckets in transition though i certainly agree. Adelman's offense is a thing of beauty, and I love watching it work more than any other offense in the NBA, but the heart attacks I get watching the defense...

7. ashishduh

Well actually Pat is on that list he just got filtered out due to lack of minutes.

But I don't think that physical attributes are all you need to defend. I mean Hill is like Ben Wallace physically but there's something to be said of instincts and general bball knowledge that makes a player a good defender and Hill lacks it.

Btw I think Pat is amazing defender and could help our big man situation a lot but I have no idea why he gets no playing time.

8. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

Jordan is 6-10 and pretty skinny. Ben is 6-7 on a good day and built like a brick outhouse... That comparison is just kinda weird.

9. acjeitherocket

*waiting for T-will to get traded*...

10. ashishduh

You're right it just sorta came to my mind but my point still stands.

How about Yao compared to Muresan. I could name dozens of examples, you can't evaluate a player based on physical tools alone, not after draft day anyway.

11. TheDude34

TheDude34 Member

Oh yeah, the point is definitely valid. The comparison just made me do a bit of a double take.

I think the best example for your argument would be someone like Gerald Green. That kid had all the physical tools you look for in a wing prospect. Height, speed, hops, a silky stroke. There was nothing between the ears, though.

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

Man I wish Wade Phillips would get fired in Chicago, so we could bring him in underneath Kubiak, err, Adelman.

13. dobro1229

So you would make the assumption that if the Rockets switched coaches with the Bulls, the Rockets wouldn't be playing better defense as a team?

Disregard offense. Just defense???

-So you think the defensive mistakes that are made by the players on the court (dribble penetration, rotations, back-court pressure, closing out on shooters, etc.) are not fixable by the coaching staff and preparation, and these players are just bad defenders by nature even though they have similar physical attributes as regular rotation players on good defensive teams?

Basically you are saying they are not naturally able to play good team defense even if they were coached to do so???

-My opinion is that the Rockets rotation players have the ability to be a good defensive team, they just arent because of a combination of things... and having a true 7'0" center (while acknowledged as part of the problem)wont solve all the problems unless the coaching staff can get these players to buy into a defensive scheme, and execute.

If the players do not execute and still are allowed to play then I believe the coach should be held somewhat responsible.

JVG used to have hair on his head... well he doesn't now.
    Rick Adelman used to have a top 10 defense... well he doesn't now.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

For crying out loud just bench Brooks+Bud+Hill and let T-Will+Pat Pat play. Come on Aldeman, as Rob Scnieder would say - "You can do it"!!!

15. romaboy

romaboy Member

so houston rockets won't never let a player in the rotation if he's been traded?
    even if God will give us melo?

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

Are people actually questioning Adelman's willingness to play young players? Look at our team for goodness sake!

Patpat, Hill, Bud, Ish. ALL of the 1st and 2nd year guys on the roster have earned significant playing time, except for TWill. Heck, even JT got to play a little bit.

If you can't crack Adelman's rotation, it means you either aren't ready, or aren't good enough. If TWill is deserves to be in there, then he'll be in there.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

let just talk about what RA said and not try to extend beyond what he said. let me ask you a question. did RA say tw is not ready? did RA say tw is not good enough? No and none. if RA had said tw were not good enough to crack the rotation, i would have had no problem at all.

RA said there is no spot for tw to play coz other players are playing very well. If other players were horrible, he would have tw to play. my question for RA is he forgot rox is horrible right now. there are somethings wrong btw players doing very well and team sucking badly.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People questioning Adelman's willingness to play certain players have excellent reasons to. First name that comes to mind is Tim Hardaway. We all know how that story went. Also, Adelman's known to being loyal and stubbornly plays people he likes. This is why typically players are very loyal to him. Unfortunately, this stubborn trait has reared its ugly head again and again when it comes to playing better players or making the right substitution calls ALONG with RA's complete inability to call timely time outs and match up swaps. Adelman needs to get his head out of his ass and start calling the game more and sit some of these useless players for some young blood, ESPECIALLY since we aren't going anywhere this season. Hopefully RA will get fired and retire and we can get a younger coach with an open mind and good energy who stresses D.

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Also, you are telling me that T-Will cannot steal more minutes from a worthless CBud? Don't try to shove that garbage on anyone.

20. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

People saying Rick don't play new guys are wack. He plays guys like Bobby Jackson, Ron Artest and Lowry right away when the Rockets traded for them. I dunno why he's not playing. Williams, but his love for Bud needs to stop. Williams is an all around better player then Bud.