1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Richard Justice]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jan 4, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/01/final_countdown.html

The Astros have had serious discussions with the Orioles about shortstop Miguel Tejada.

There are three serious roadblocks:

1. The Orioles want three big leaguers in return. So pick three primetime players - say, Brad Lidge, Jason Lane and Willy Taveras - and that's going to be the cost. I actually have heard Baltimore would take three pitchers - say, Lidge, Chad Qualls and a starter. Would you do that?

2. Because Tejada is in the middle of a multi-year contract, he can demand a trade at the end of his first season with the Astros. Before this deal is done, Tejada probably would want a contract extension. And he's already making big bucks.

3. The Orioles have about six general managers. Their decision-making process is screwed up. Having said that, Tejada is a guy worth pursuing. Maybe they'll get lucky. The Orioles have done a lot of stupid things over the years. Maybe Tim Purpura will catch them on a good day.

I would give up anybody on the roster for Tejada except Berkman, Oswalt, or Pettitte. I would send them Lane, Lidge, and Everett which IMO is a fair package for Tejada. Tejada is a stud on every level. He would make the Astros the best team in baseball if they get him IMO.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

My bad, I forget to put in the title. Don't know how to edit but if someone can, please title it "Tejada to Astros?"

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Astros Dream Lineup

2B-Craig Biggio
    CF-Willy Taveras
    SS-Miguel Tejada
    LF-Lance Berkman
    3B-Morgan Ensberg
    RF-Preston Wilson
    1B-Jeff Bagwell
    C-Brad Ausmus

If Bagwell retires, but Berkman at 1st and Burke at left.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i MIGHT give up lane, lidge and everett. MIGHT. i think i'd be inclined to gamble on that.

but i wouldn't give up lidge, qualls and player x. if you give up lidge, you have to keep qualls around, i think. giving up lidge, qualls and a starter for a guy who is only guaranteed to be here one season??....no, thanks.

lidge, lane and taveras?? hmmm...i'm a taveras fan, even though i know he has limitations at the plate. that's a tough one.

remember..this team just won an NL pennant on the backbone of pitching and defense. mostly pitching. i'd be very careful.

5. msn

msn Member

OK, I *rarely* do this...

Remember, they want quality.

What about Burke, Everett, Qualls, and Astacio/Bucholz/Nieve for Tejada and some prospect?

What about Lane, Everett, Qualls, and Astacio/Bucholz/Nieve for Tejada and some prospect?

Or to get really insane,
    what about Lane, Everett, Qualls, Astacio, *and* Bucholz/Nieve for Tejada and some prospect?

...now you see why I just don't do this. :eek:

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Wow, Richard Justice wrote an article that said the exact thing Purpura said this morning on the radio. Thanks Dick.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I'm not sure I want to give up so much for Tejada. He only hit 26 HR last year with 98 RBI after 34 HR and 150 RBI the previous year.

After the All-Star break last year, in 75 games he only hit 7 HR while batting .276 as opposed to 19 HR batting .329 in 87 games prior to the break.

Isn't that kind of suspicious?

8. msn

msn Member

How do his career numbers look?

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I was hinting at a possible withdrawal from some type of performance enhancing substance.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at the Orioles roster...their missing out on Burnitz is interesting. Right now, they list Jeff Conine #1 on their depth chart at first and left field and don't seem to have much depth...I don't envy the team starting Conine at either position, so Lane would be a nice fill in (especially if they nearly gave Burnitz $6m). I don't know what their positional prospects look like. I would think Lidge, Everett, Lane, and Nieve/Astacio for Tejada and an arm would be intriguing for them.

They have Luis Matos in center as it is, who's a decent speed guy, nothing special. I think they'd prefer a run producer like Lane to a run scorer like Taveras.

Adding Bagwell to the lineup, and sandwiching Berkman and Ensberg with Tejada and Preston Wilson suddenly makes this offense look a lot more pleasing.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

TipJar

12. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

don't give up three pitchers, that is dumb. then you completely deplete your staff's depth. that isn't worth it. a couple of field players and one pitcher is what i would do.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

How did that Don Henley song go? I think it went.....

"IN A NEW YORK MINUTE".....

I would do either of those deals

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What's the holdup? Git 'er done.

15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

No way can you give up Lidge and Qualls. That leaves you with Wheeler and not much else in the pen. No way.

If they want 3 major leaguers, they can take Lidge, Lane, and Everett. Maybe you throw-in a pitching prospect (though not your top one). This guy is coming off a down year (for him), he has a huge contract, and he's a complainer. No way you give away the whole farm for him.

16. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, I wouldn't give up 2 bullpen pitchers, UNLESS something like the mumblings of Dotel's return have any substance. Then I'd consider it.

Definitely have to include Everett in a deal. But is he worth the price??? Large salary PLUS 3 major leaguers. I'd eat the salary no prob if we weren't giving up TOO much talent ...

17. Furious Jam

FYI:

ESPN's player card for Mig says "Tejada generates his home-run power to left and left-center field." Can you say "Crawford Boxes"?

Add a guy like this, I bet Rocket runs back to the club - at a discount from last year.

18. Furious Jam

Dotel already signed with the Empire.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Migel Tejada would simply kill in MMP. We have an abundance of outfielders and I would be willing to give up Lane, Lamb, Everett, Astoscio or any of our youngsters. I'd shy away from giving up Burke, Taveras or Qualls, but you gotta do what you gotta do... I want Tejada but I don't want to give him 5 guys full of potential, maybe 3.

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Here's my list of people worth giving up for Tejada.

Everrett.

Either Lidge, or Qualls...not both.

Any combonation of two of Burke, Lane or Taveres.

One of a group of Astacio, or Wandy, or a minor league pitcher like Taylor Bucholz (sp). *Not* Troy Patton.

A huge package that could fill a lot of holes for the Orioles, but wouldn't bankrupt the future of the team. The only problem with this trade is the clause where Tejada can demand a trade at the end of the year.

#20 BMoney, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006