1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Jefferson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ugly, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Ugly

Ugly Contributing Member

I watched the Nets game tonight and RJ played a really good game. He plays great D, rebounds, hustles, slashes to the bucket and run the floor. He played more than Van Horn and was in down the stretch, during crunch time. Kidd also ran plays designed for him on more than one occasion. The Nets obviously have alot of confidence in him already. He already looks to be a steal (judging not by the trade, but by where he was drafted). I look for him to be a very solid NBA.

I sure would like to see more of EG and Tmo, hopefully that will come in time. I know EG was hindered by injury and did not play much in the preseason.

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

RJ was the only regret I had in the Griffin trade.

I wish there were some way we could have traded Langhi or Walt instead of RJ.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The way I look at it, we got Kevin Garnett instead of Wally Szczerbiak in that trade. Sure, Scuzzbag is decent, but Garnett is a star. Griffin will be a star, while Jefferson will be "good".

At least, that's the way I look at it.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I disagree.

I don't doubt Eddie will be a star.

But RJ has 3X's more potential than Wally.

RJ is the next Shawn Marion.

If RJ can get a consistent shot, he's an all-star.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

kidrock-By the same token, if RJ's jumper doesn't develop, he's the next Shann Anersn.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Nike-Except for the fact that RJ is a much better athlete. RJ will be a good pro, just on athleticism alone.

He will be great, once he establishes himself as an outside player.

In HS, he was a center, and was asked to play predominantly inside (that's why he's a good shot blocker). In college, he played on a loaded Arizona squad, so he wasn't really give then chance to be the focal point.

I'd compare RJ to Marion before I'd compare him to Shandon.

Marion is a good player right now, based on athleticism. RJ's got the same freakish athleticsim as Marion.

7. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I would rather have TMo than RJ anyway. We got Tmo and EG how can we complain.....

8. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

I am HUGE Tmo fan but I think RJ has more potential than does tmo. RJ is going to make a heck of a player.. Collins and Armstrong won't amount up to much so their ineffeciencies make the Eddie trade on the Rockets favor.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

NIKE, you took the "d"s out, too? Better be careful, Dreamshake is already fuming with verse and I for laughing at the $5.3m man's Knick debut.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

:eek:

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Eh?

RJ will be a better pro than T-Mo.

12. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I'm with most of you. I watched Jefferson last night and was pretty impressed. He didn't necessarily fill up the stat columns, but he was very active around the rim and the guy can just leap out of the gym! I definitely thought to myself that he'd look pretty nice in the ol' pin stripes.. Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy w/ Eddie Griffin and think he has more star power, but Jefferson's definitely a baller (not a hooper)...

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

IMO, RJ was the most physically-ready player in the 2001 draft. He is 6-7 220 lbs, which is a pretty strong frame for a guy who should be in his Sr. season in college.

The sky is the limit for him, if he has a PG the caliber of Kidd. RJ is a great transition player to pair-up with a running PG like Kidd. I guarantee you the Nets front office went nuts when they considered the potential of Kidd leading the fast-break with Kittles, and RJ on the wings, and Martin as the trailer.

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

RJ is a talented player, and I always liked him. He'll be a good player. He is ready for the NBA sooner then T-Mo, but T-Mo is mroe talented and will be the better player down the road. RJ is a good defender, slasher, and scorer, T-Mo is a good scorer, and rebounder, and defender, shot-blocker and can step in and be a force at two key positions in the frontcourt, and may be able to play some minutes at center down the road in his career. Definitely I like T-Mo over RJ, and I don't think J will be a great player, just a good player. I don't see him being another Shawn Marion though. More a Michael Finley-type, though not quite as good.

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I'm gonna save this message and in a couple of years repost it. EG is just 19 years old, we'll see what hes like when he is RJ's age.

16. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

IMHO:

Jefferson like Jason Richardson and Joe Jo are talents supreme out of that draft to be sure ... but clearly the cream of the crop was Griffin.

For pure delight in a well rounded athlete with size, speed, defense, coachability and a devleoping offensive arsenal ....

... well, Eddie Griffin shines above everyone.

Kwame will get his kudos down the road. Curry and Johnson will get their nods early, and Jefferson and Richardson will get some excellent press .... but Griffin will be hurting opponents and making us scream by mid December and accelerating past all other rooks by All Star break in fundamental all-around game.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

Richard Jefferson = Harold Miner.

any questions?

18. idrockfan

idrockfan Contributing Member

I agree with superkev, When Eddie is the age that Jefferson is now, it will not even be close.
    It was a good trade.

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

SuperKev-You are mistaking what I said. I KNOW EG will be better than Jefferson.

All I said that the only regret I have in the trade, is letting Jefferson go to NJ.

I do think Jefferson will be a better pro than Terrance Morris.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Stop the presses, RM you think Marion is better than Finley? Thats a joke, Finley is a top 10 2/3 man in the league. he defends,passes, scores, everything you would want out of that player. Marion can't hold Finleys jock