1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Richard Jefferson: Utah's Gimmick Defense Won't Work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

And it may work depending on who is reffing that night.

hakeem94 and robbie380 like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm currently coaching a 7th-9th grade YMCA basketball team. It's a league full of jr. high and freshman team players. On my team, I have 2 7th grade girls that are on the spectrum. Sweet girls that try hard...but we're at a massive competitive disadvantage in every game as I'm required to play everyone 50% of the game. They are both kind of slight and are playing in a league with nearly full grown teenage boys. They mostly try to get out of the way so that they don't get run over.

My girls play better defense than the jazz did last night.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that House also helps in this department. He can drive to the basket without looking clumsy and turning the ball over. If House gives us a godly playoff run, it will be difficult to beat the rockets(think Stephen Jackson as a Spur being paid like $1.5m and having an amazing playoff run then getting paid).

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yep, if we just hit those wide open threes against Milwaukee no one would be talking about how they had the secret formula. I'll give them credit for not making it easy for us though. They are super athletic and physical. Utah cannot easily replicate it because they don't have those long, athletic wings and their usual defense funnels everything into Gobert which just doesn't work against us. We take over half of our shots from downtown. If we hit at a decent clip our offense can't be stopped.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

Patience, HP3, MD_in_Training and 4 others like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup it legitimately scares me a bit lol

Nook likes this.
  7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

The funny part is he still went left past Rubio, but they cut him off at the rim. Only took 3 people to run that scheme. To guard one.

Patience and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Codman it's nice to read that you share the same optimism some of us do regarding Rockets and the Worriers. I have stated many times that Rockets were the better team last year (CP3 injury changed everything) and the Rockets this year (provided healthy) will take down the Worriers culminating a fantastic changing of the guard.

Rockets have to get to the Finals this year or it's a Bust simple as that. This is a golden second chance opportunity for CP3/Harden and I think they will prevail this year as long as they are healthy.

Once they get to the Finals, Rockets will win the ring. I just can't see the Rockets getting to the finals and then losing.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

And Ingles and Mitchell both hedged from the outside to help. That's almost a 5-on-1 defense there, and it still failed miserably.

bulkatron likes this.
  10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

You're exactly right. I've been watching as long as you have as well and just today I was telling a co-worker that I've never seen a team scheme for ONE player ever. Jordan never got that treatment and neither did Hakeem.

Very interesting to say the least....

Hakeemtheking and Blurr#7 like this.
  11. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Not arguing with you brother...you're actually one of the posters I respect on here. But I've never seen teams scheme for MJ as drastically as they have for Harden. Harden is on an island in that regard from what I gather.

D-rock and Blurr#7 like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, i saw that and was confused

Rubio still thinks he’s playing against Russ in the 1st round?

RocketsPower, HP3, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It’s a different game. The Pistons, Knicks even Seattle would pack the paint on Michael, the soft spot back then with HOF centers roaming the paint was the midrange or mid post.
    With James the defense is extended to half court because of his range, that’s a lot of area to cover for a defense.
    Then add Hardens passing, he’s picking you apart and putting you in rotational hell every time he has the ball in his hands.
    This is a different animal than MJ...you’re agent Smith and he’s full power Neo.

DavidRocket, D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sonics on Hakeem?

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Sonics loaded up the paint, where they killed us was on the perimeter. Payton and Nate McMillan owned our guards. Hakeem fought valiantly but never got help.

Jake Tower likes this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What is your opinion on their ability to beat the Bucks in a hypothetical finals matchup? I agree with your thoughts on the West matchups, but fear this year we finally beat the Warriors and cant figure out the Bucks defense.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

fify

18. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Harden is changing the game, I love it !!!

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree with you!! But the MJ rules were the closest I've seen to the cartoonish defenses on Harden.

Some have even described it as Girl's Middle School D.

DavidRocket and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

"Godly" might be pushing it but it seems so rare for the Rockets to find a serviceable role player, especially out of summer league. House is showing the world he is on Eric Gordon's level?