1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice to be cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Oct 1, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Oct/10012003/sports/97550.asp

The Jazz dumped disgruntled center John Amaechi, sending the final two years (worth roughly $2.5 million each) of his contract to Houston. In return, the Jazz accepted 14-year veteran forward Glen Rice, one of the 50 greatest scorers in NBA history -- and more importantly, took on the $9.6 million salary-cap charge that Houston wanted to shed. The Rockets even sweetened the deal with draft picks, possibly two first-rounders, and some cash.

But don't go stitching Rice's familiar No. 41 on a Jazz jersey yet. At 36 and with a history of leg injuries, Rice, who averaged 9.0 points in 62 games for Houston last year, is unlikely to take part in Utah's rebuilding-with-youth project.

"We're going to sit down with him and sit down with his agent and go from there," said Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's vice president of basketball operations. "In 24 or 48 hours we'll have a better feel about a decision."

The most likely decision involves a settlement on the final year of Rice's contract, making him a free agent. A similar decision by the rebuilding Nuggets last fall allowed Mark Jackson to walk away from Denver and join the Jazz. "We're going to do what's best for the organization," said O'Connor, though he wouldn't rule out bringing Rice to camp. "We would consider it. He can shoot the ball, he's proven that. There are some things about him that are positive. We're just going to sit back and let the dust settle a little bit."

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

It's a cruel business!
    At least he will get his millions...

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see who picks him up (for beteran's minimum).

4. aldenix

aldenix Member

Amen.

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Not that it's my money but...

AND cash! CD is not a much of a negotiator.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

After Utah cuts him, we should offer him a 1 yr. vets minimum contract.

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Damn the j*zz are stupid. Why dump him? They can just use him + our picks as tradebait to get SAR or Sheed. In other words, they would have got Shareef for Amaechi and a 2nd rounder. This just made my day man.

8. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

yeah i'm sure no hard feelings?

9. mos-def

mos-def Member

the jazz want to be the worst team in the nba, ala the spurrs, so they can get the 1st pick.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Losing big is the only way the Utah Jazz can grow. They need a few top 3 picks over the next few years if they're ever going to be a contender again. They got Stockton and Malone through the draft and haven't signed many big free agents through the years. Salt Lake City isn't exactly a target destination for many NBA stars and unless the league has a miraculous influx of white, mormon star players, it never will be. I feel bad for Jazz fans at this point. There are going to be alot of ugly years ahead of them.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Or Rice wasn't very valuable as evidienced by the fact that he's being waived.

12. mulletman

mulletman Member

2 first rounders? wtf?!?!?!?!:mad: :mad:

i wasnt happy about trading 1, but now i'm reading 2. thats basically 2 lottery pics. the rockets arent going anywhere the next 2 years:(

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes that sounds odd, though isn't there some CBA rule about a player who has been traded cannot be traded again x amount of days afterward...blah blah blah?

14. MFW2310

I believe that is true. But they don't have to trade him this year. Imagine if the vet starved Cav signs him to a vet minimum and the j*zz paying for it. Oh that would be fun.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If a guy is cut, he's not traded. He's free to sign wherever, if not claimed.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

It won't be two first rounders in a row, NBA rules prohibit teams from trading first round draft picks in consecutive years.

Also it is a conditional from the Bulls, so it was never really our pick, we're just passing it on.

17. MFW2310

I know xiki, that's my point. Instead of trading Rice for a cash strapped over the cap rebuilding team like Atlanta or Portland or Miami, they want to cut him? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. As for the Cavs part, I was merely saying the Cavs can sign him with Utah paying most of the bills. Sounds good to me.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You just didn't say that! As Rocket fans, we can't ever feel sorry for fans of the Jazzholes!:D

Oh and on the trading a guy to a team and then that team cuts him and he re-signs with the team that traded him: remember Stacey Augmon?

He came in the Cato deal from Portland, spent a week with the Rockets in camp, was cut, and then signed days later by Portland, and I think played like 3 or more seasons with them.

Personally, I don't see CD doing that and even if he did, I am not sure that Rice would come back. He seems to be a very prideful guy.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't know if he would come back too. I mean, the guy was shopping around houston the past 2 weeks searching for a house. And now all of a sudden he is gone.

Man....what a glorious day to see the Jazz as #29th in the league.

20. MFW2310

I would like to see Stern find another expansion team after this year. :)