1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice Released!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chad44, Oct 3, 2003.

1. chad44

chad44 Member

The Jazz released forward Glen Rice. The Jazz and Rice agreed to a buyout of the one year remaining on the forward's contract. "I appreciate the professionalism that Utah afforded me in settling my contract," Rice said. He'll end up with some team in need of a veteran shooter.
    Coming back???? :confused:

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I'd rather keep our $7 million dollar trade exception intact as oppossed to resigning him.

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Are the two mutually exclusive? If so, of course we let him walk. But if not, bringing him back for cheap sounds like a good idea.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Well, clearly if part of the motivation for the move was that JVG and Rice are incompatible, it obviously won't happen.

If not, and he comes really, really cheap, that's a decent shooter coming off the bench, and contrary to his rep coming here, he was never a lockerroom problem in his time here, almost the closest we had to a veteran leader.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think there were some reports he might return to Miami, I personally would like to see Glen here for another year. Hopefully, there is no resent against the Rockets, I hate to see a classy guy like Glen leave.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Classy Old Guys are not needed. JVG wants players that he can mold into his way of thinking and playing. Glen's leadership was not required, JVG is the leader now.

7. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Trade exceptions are not for signing players, it's for trades only. Being under the cap (excluding the exception), we can sign him to anything up to cap. But why do that? Why not just sign him to a vet minimum which we can do as long as we have roster space?

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Good Point, remember that Van Gundy did trade off Glen Rice from New York to Houston.:D

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind re-signing Rice and getting another shooter off the bench, but I don't know how much interest the Rockets have in him. They may have alot, they may have none. Plus, I don't know how much interest Rice has in coming back. Not because he was traded, but because this Rockets team is extremely deep and he may see an opportunity to get more playing time somewhere else. If he re-signs though it's a nice insurance policy and gives the Rockets a deeper bench.

10. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Where did you get this report from? Could you please provide a link. Thanks. He would be perfect for New Jersey. They need shooters bad!!!

11. yaoisgod

yaoisgod Member

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

There is of course the possibility that the Rockets planned on re-signing him from the beginning, a la the Stacey Augmon inclusion in the Pippen deal, but it's looking less like that. They would have already acted on it I think.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'd take rice at like the veteran's minimum but really we don't have time for him. jj, griffin, and pike will all get time at the three as well as behind cat. also i hope to god that boki is ready to get some minutes as well.

14. whats up

whats up Contributing Member

Rice getting cut -- what does that tell you about his salary-coming-off-the-book trade value? :)

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's up - I was just going to say that. Very good point, even if I don't say so myself.

16. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

But there was a time involved before he could resign, don't you remember we carried him through the training camp and into the pre season before we released him. I forget what it is but there is a time that has to past before he can resign with his old team.

17. king911

king911 Member

Teams like ATL or whoever would have still traded a guy locked into a long contract like SAR... So I think.

18. chad44

chad44 Member

i think we are starting to bulid something.................yao....stevie...cat.....griff (ill be much better this year)....pike.......mo t.?????& ......and jvg...... it's gonna be a good year.....and with the mid cap and the new jerseys oh baby someone better keep me away from brittney spears!!!

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

It'd suck to be a black guy living in Utah. That has to be the worst.

20. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

If it sucks to be a black guy living in Utah isn't this the best? He just got a free ride out of town and still gets paid 9 mil.