1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RICE A ROCKET?!?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fatty FatBastard, Aug 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Fatty FatBastard

My guess is a big no.

They weren't high on him when the Quitten deal was made.

The Rocket's Brass have never thought much of him.

MY OPINION: The Rocket's will trade him, and quick! To someone who needs an athletic, small forward.

MY OPINION: I wish we had traded Pippen for Rice, straight up. I've loved this guy since '96. BUT!!! He does not fit into this teams objectives, and I expect his signing was pendant on another offer.

POINT BLANK: He will never wear the pinstripes.

Thoughts?

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, how does he NOT fit into the team's objectives? He is easily the Rockets best 3 pt shooter now... He fits the Rockets objectives, at this point, than any other guy available...

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

isnt there a rule where you can not trade a player until like 2 months after the trade was made? Can someone confirm this for me?
    Thanks

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was my understanding as well. Whether you like it or not, Fatty, Rice is here to stay, for at least one season. If there were <b>any</b> plans to ship off Rice to another team, I am sure it would have been completed, or at least rumored by now. You don't trade for a guy like Rice, with the intention of moving him somewhere else, if you don't already have the deal all lined up.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll respond with Rudy's quotes. Now Rudy could be blowing smoke up our butts, so we'll see. Would Rudy say all this about players he had no intent to keep? I remember he made casual comments about Don McLean when we got him that led me to believe that guy wouldn't be hanging around for long. His comments below seem a lot more convincing that Rice is here to stay. With the talk of a Jahidi White possibly coming, perhaps Walt is gone... perhaps Rice is gone... perhaps... perhaps... perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about.

"In getting Glen Rice, here's a guy I coveted and this organization has coveted for a long time because he is one of the premier shooters in this league..."

"We have always believed in penetration, getting the ball close to the basket, be it a post-up play, a drive or a cut. When you play that way, you have to have good shooters to keep people honest because the defense has to shift on us. We've got guys that move the defense around. And to have an efficient offense, you have to have guys who can bury the shot.

"He's a guy who I think just fits with the young, penetrating guys we have. I have a real good feeling about him."