1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ric Bucher] Dwight Howard has eye on Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Dec 22, 2010.

1. MD_in_Training

Almost half the teams in the league would be serious contenders with Dwight.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

If he does follow Shaq's footsteps to the Lakers.. does that mean he will eventually join Bosh and co. in Miami??

:eek: scary face :eek: scary face :eek:

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Can you imagine Kobe trying to slap around Dwight? The end of Kobe Bryant for sure.

4. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

You swear you don't post in offseason, another lie.
    Never saw a person with less integrity than Clippy.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Orlando is a nice city as well.

Problem is, Dwight wants to win.

If the Rockets were to put together a package better than Bynum/Odom, we would probably have a team worse than the current Magic squad and then Dwight probably would not re-sign screwing us over.

As much as I'd love to get Dwight, I personally hope we stay away (unless by some miracle we can convince him to sign a contract extension, or Orlando offers him for Yao straight up in a S+T, but those too are a pipe dreams).

This is a pipe dream.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

The post you're quoting was from December 22nd, genius. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We aren't carrying any bad contracts (Thabeet's, Miller's expiring +1m payout and Scola's are the closest we have to bad, and they're really pretty manageable or expiring), so if we were to get Dwight, finding someone else to put around him would be kind of easy.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We saw him do it already, in the 2009 Finals. Kobe stole the ball from him, threw an elbow at him, cursed at him (shut the F up and play is what he said IIRC) and walked to the other side of the court. And what does Howard do....walk behind him trying to talk it out. That's when I knew the series was over. So if he let Kobe punk him like that when he was battling him for a title, then I'm sure Kobe would have no issues punking him when they are fighting for one together.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Actually, that's not in Cuban's plans. Mark has his sights set on going after Blake Griffin. I'd have to see Howard pick Houston over LA before I believe it. I just think the Rockets have a zero chance of landing Howard.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Look for Phil to unretire if the Lakers get Dwight.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Kobe/gasol/Dwight would just be sick.

12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Howard/Turkgolu/Q-Rich for Odom, Bynum and 2 future 1st rounders. YUP. Dwight just needs to hold his ground like Melo did and be really stubborn. This trade becomes a matter of when rather than if

13. Garner

Garner Member

You want to "stay away" from a franchise player? What is wrong with you?

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Otis Smith starts doing crack, this trade might happen.

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Does he have a choice? What if DH just like Melo says he wont sign an extension unless he's traded to his desired team? If he's gonna send DH as a half year rental without an extension he's not gonna get much back

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The threat only works if the desired team can sign you outright. LA doesn't have the capspace to sign him, unless he takes a MLE deal (if it still exists).

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We all remember how that strategy forced the Nuggets to give Melo up for almost nothing, right?

Anything could happen, but I don't see what the Lakers could offer the Magic to make a deal acceptable. Also consider that the Lakers (supposedly) aren't the sole team Howard is willing to sign with.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While I'm not sure the Lakers have the BEST offer, I do think that Bynum & Odom are one of the more attractive assets offered (if they are offered). And if the Lakers offer to absorb Gilbert Arenas contract (which they are very capable of doing) then I'd have to say the Lakers offer would be more than acceptable to the Magic.

Magic trade - Dwight Howard, Gilbert Arenas = 38 million
    Lakers trade - A.Bynum, L.Odom, Walton,Fisher = 34 million

The Magic will not only a YOUNG, high potential, top 5 center, maybe franchise player in Bynum and a versatile all star level veteran in Odom, (both with reasonable contracts) but also dumping the remaining 3 years 61+ million on Gilbert Arenas contract for the 18+ million in the contracts of Walton and Fisher, both of which ends in 2 years.

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

"The Decision II" coming to ESPN soon.

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

I thought they came out with some really nice pieces