1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RGV]Greg Smith 18 pts 11 rbs 4 bs 28 min

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BetterThanEver, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

This could get interesting. Greg Smith needs development time in RGV but how long can you go without having someone else sign him while he gets better and better?

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I like him enough, and its obviously better to get big stats than to get NO stats.

But Greg Smith already getting up there as the most highly prospected 1 total field goal-making Rocket preseason player ever. Extrapolating a lot out of so little.

Smith's Rockets totals, 2 games:
    13 minutes
    3 points on 1-3 FGs. 1-2 FTs
    4 rebounds
    2 Turnovers, 2 fouls
    Zero blocks, zero assists.

But him BIG and he DUNK good, me like.
    And per-36 minutes thats double digit rebounds a game!

Some might remember years ago when 7 footer and D-league MVP Courtney Sims averaged 23/13/3 blocks a game there.

He's played 24 total MINUTES in the NBA.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still Smith is unproven, ....give me a 7foot Jordan clone anyday, I hope Morey learns from this

5. BetterThanEver

If I were to compare Adrien and Smith to current and previous Rockets, Adrien would be an undeveloped Hayes. Smith would be an undeveloped Dalembert.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't know about much Courtney Sims, but Greg Smith is a big strong cat. The perfect type to player to get minutes at either PF/C and not give up much on the defensive end.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't know much about Courtney Sims, but Greg Smith is a big, strong player. He is the type who can slide from PF to C and not give up much on defense.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ah screw it, I'll buy in :eek:

Here's a HIGHLIGHT video. at 1:05 a big Greg Smith facial dunk

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo%20sports/site/player.html#vid=27750898&browseCarouselUI=hide&startScreenCarouselUI=hide&shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fplayer%2Fnba%2FDLeague%2F27750898"></iframe></div>

9. Roxs-Redemption

Thanks. the dunk was at 1:11 btw.

10. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

wow we are desperate aren't we… a d-leaguer?? this is why we are a middle of the pack team… skimming through the garbage pile...

11. txtodd

txtodd Member

Nah, Smith didn't block shots at a high rate in college, so not expecting him to do that in the NBA.

12. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

[NBADL] Prospect Watch: Showcase Edition

My apologies if I started this in the wrong section. If so, please move it :)

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/prospect_watch_showcase_2012_01_09.html

Preferred this kid over Thabeet anyday...

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Greg Smith, where Big hands = Big
    talent? :confused:

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

just one?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will bet that Morey has promised him a contract after the trade deadline......

Adrien is only here as a babysitter for Thabeet, there is no other reason for him on the roster.

Smith should be here over Flynn or Thabeet...at this point and definitly Adrien.

I am not sure what Morey has against young talented big men....but he needs to get over it soon.

DD

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How does a call-up work? Is there a chronological "claim" filed or do the Rox get first right of refusal?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

ANY NBA team can offer him a contract because he is an unrestricted free agent.

If he signs with Houston, they can then send him back to the Dleague and only we can bring him back.

Seriously, not sure why Adrien is even on the team, this guy has WAY more potential we should lock him up with a CBud style contract now.

DD

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Adrien deal totally stumps me. Give him guaranteed money, for what? I keep looking at his contract thinking there has to be a pre-agreed to trade that requires that we use his contract to complete once he is trade eligible or a trade that depletes our PFs so much that we need him on the roster as a backup PF. I cannot reason out why he was given a guaranteed contract and is taking up a roster spot over Smith other than that. I actually think he can play a little bit. But he's useless on this team with Patterson/Scola/Hill....all our bigs bigger and at least as skilled and way more experienced than him. He hasn't shown anything since he's been here. McHale has run him out there just to blow off some minutes when we are in foul trouble. I do not understand the Adrien contract.

#38 jopatmc, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  19. BetterThanEver

I am confused on why Adrien hasn't been sent to the D-League with Morris. He isn't NBA ready and he's not getting any play time. His skills may not translate to the NBA level, because he is too short. He needs the minutes more than Morris.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Adrien made the team to give the Rockets a better practice body and add some a cheap veteran presence.

Smith wasnt going to get minutes this season anyways and was sure to not have the experience and intelligence between the ears to help out young guys like Thabeet, Hill, etc. in practice.

Also, if he needs to play a minute here and there he will execute properly.

Smith has some potential, but McHale can only handle so many big man projects at a time.

Dont worry though, the fact that he signed with RGV probably means that he still believes he will be getting a call up at some point from the Rockets. If anyone calls him up, its most likely the Rockets.