1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RG3 about to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Jan 11, 2016.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

KC beat us because they were just a better team.

We just don't have the personnel to cover good TEs. If the defense has holes it's definitely a good safety or coverage LB.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yet, still played him worse than pretty much any other team the Chiefs faced this season. Keeping the score close in the first half doesn't show how poorly we were playing. Just like the week 1 score of 27-20 doesn't show how dominated the Texans were against the Chiefs.

3. rezdawg

We had Kevin Johnson covering Kelce for many of the plays...that's just asinine. Demps isn't the answer, but still a much better option.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of all the things the Texans did wrong on Saturday, coverage on Kelce might have been the least impactful.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

BS we lost because of Hoyer Bottom line need to stop giving trash qbs passes. 5 turnovers by himself alone. Cushing got a interception on defense to help this trash dude... it's on Hoyer and the coaches.

6. rezdawg

I'm just giving an example of a lack of adjustment.

Also, Smith threw for 190 yards and Kelce had 130 yards receiving. Not sure how you can deem that as "least impactful".

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I've said before, for a low cost, I'd sign him as QB3/project. His tools are still outstanding. He'd grade out ahead of any QB's in this year's draft at the combine.

A good coaching staff is not afraid of a project and can handle "distractions". If RG3 gets his head on straight - sweet. If not, oh well.

QB needs to be addressed by investing in a diverse portfolio of assets. Pray 1 hits.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

At this point in his career, RG3 is more of a science experiment than a football player. And we already have a science experiment on this team (Clowney).

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We have no answer, that's the problem.

And Hoyer is part of the team.

Alex Smith is a 10x better QB than anyone we have on the roster, thus KC is a better team and won. I don't see how that's BS.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think it depends on what it costs us. The reward of getting a real QB are higher than the rewards of hitting on any other position. So if we don't have to risk a lot or pay much to make it happen, I think it's definitely worth the shot.

Clowney cost us the #1 overall pick...RG3, at this point, wouldn't cost us anywhere near that.

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I say sign him & give him a shot.

Bill is suppose to be this guru QB coach, lets see what he can do!

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

name me someone who is as "flexible" as you describe - ie willing to change any and everything at the whims of those around him - and i'll show you a loser.

that's not how real life works. you sure as hell wouldn't be that flexible at your own job or you'd be a total pushover. at some point you stand by your core beliefs and adapt around those.

edit:

you're crazy if you wouldn't take a flyer (read: not committing any substantial capital) on RGIII. as someone else mentioned he'd grade out higher than any QB in this draft. you put in him in the right environment with the right coaches and let him compete his ass off.

13. rezdawg

Who said anything about changing everything and anything? :confused:

And I'm guessing that RG3 comment isn't towards me?

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Was the Jets game televised in your area?

15. rezdawg

Yes, I watched that game. Nice trick play in there, but doesn't really prove or disprove anything I'm saying. That was a well played game.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

And I'm saying they were able to keep him out of the endzone this time around. The defense came ready to play. One of the true testaments is when a defense gets back in the game after a turnover and are able to get the ball back. They weren't doing that early in the season.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I guess this is about me, since I'm the one the guy you quoted was talking to.

1) I don't care how they win. Offense, defense, special teams, mobile QB, stationary QB, whatever. I just want the Ws and the postseason success. If we win 48-45 or 3-0, I'll be OK with either one.

2) I don't even really have a "way". If anything, I'm a more of an "adjust your system to your players" kinda guy.

3) I wouldn't hope that he would fail. I would view it similar to how I viewed the appointing of JBB as Rockets head coach: best case scenario is that he succeeds and is The Man going forward, but I really really don't think that will happen. In RG3's case, I am certain that wouldn't happen.

That being how I feel, why would I want to waste X year(s) on the guy at QB? I wouldn't. I don't wish him harm; I just don't believe he would stay on the field for long, so why waste all the practice reps on him?

Now... if the Texans do the Texans thing and completely ignore upgrading the QB spot until the last minute and RG3 is out there sitting pretty, then yeah I guess we should give him a shot because at that point we've already f'd ourselves. Otherwise... nah.

And FTR I was a big RG3 fan. Watched a ton of Baylor games (my roommie back then was a Baylor grad), and really thought him and Luck would be the top dogs for a while in the NFL. But that time is long gone. Injuries and the Shanahans have done him in, and his alleged character/attitude problems just make it that much worse.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Because he's not the same guy he was in 2012. I actually hope he succeeds, because I like him. I like that he's considered weird by NFL standards. I like that he's into goofy socks, figurines, and comics. I don't care that he was politicking to the owner. Many star players use their leverage, and so do coaches. But he's just not the same guy. ACL twice, LCL, meniscus, ankle dislocation, and two concussions have changed him. I've watched him for two years after 2012 and this was the culmination of his progress:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

His body can't take the beating of a read-option heavy offense (the only offense he's been successful in, and he's no longer all-world fast), and his mind can't consistently make NFL plays from the pocket. And that's not a knock to his intellect. I think he's smart, but there are only 15-20 QBs in the entire world each year that can do those things successfully. It's just the hardest position to play in sports. He's never had to do it up to 2012 and has shown no ability to consistently make pocket plays in the two years he played since then until finally being benched for good this year.

19. beardsanity713

RG3 is better than all current QB's on the roster

beggers cant be chooser's

No one in the draft is a sure thing

& no one is trading their franchise QB bc they unlike the Texans know how important the position is to win

Cut Hoyer sign RG3 you arent missing anything

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No no, trust me. It wasn't about you.

Just in general I've seen a lot of it.

With Harden, Mario Williams, Clowney or whoever.

You get a lot of people that are more about being right then just hoping their team wins.

I think there is a difference in saying "I think RG3 will bust here." and then going on to hoping he does terrible just to prove your point. I'm just saying that if we get RG3 you are going to see guys that are self-proclaimed Texans fans all the while hoping he fails to say they were right all along.