1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RG3 about to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Johnny has trade value? Cleveland probably just cuts him

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not really, and they probably will cut him if they don't get an offer, but I could see Dallas sending them a 6th or 7th rounder.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If we get him, still draft a QB like you didn't have him. Redskins did the same drafting Cousins simultaneously.

1) he's injury prone
    2) he might not work out

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought Weeden was talking about the terminology being opposite. I remember reading it was something about Dallas run play terminology being used for pass plays or something in Houston and vice versa. Maybe I misread it.

5. conquistador#11

after witnessing saturday, griffin can't be worse at reading stationary defenses

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

From my understanding this is pretty much the exact opposite of what happened in Washington.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree with the dude that said injuries ruined him . I think his athleticism is severely diminished and he can no longer be a dynamic playmaker running with the football . Plus he probably has mental issues regarding re-injury. Since that injury has he had a stretch of more than 2 good games? Has he proven he is not damaged goods ? Look, I have no problem trying to bring the guy in on a bargain contract with no guarantees , but I definitely don't think a hange of scenery is going to heal his likely physical issues .

He would have to transform his game into a pocket passer to become an above average NFL QB , and given that Washington's coaches have played other journeymen QB's over griffin suggests that he was not willing or able to adapt his game .

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Now that's what i'm talking about there is no way you waste a first round pick on this draft there is only 1 maybe 2 qb's in this years draft that rate as first rounders.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think RG3 and a first round RB gets you more than literally any first round QB would.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He, like every other running QB will have to pass in the pocket any ways. It's not like they can't learn to.

As for his mobility, I doubt it's entirely gone. Even Vick could run with all of his injuries, if you can run you are still going to be able to run. Will he be the dynamite player he once was? I don't know, it's not like he's had a chance to prove that this past season. Very likely though the guy can scramble here and there for 5-10 yards if the defense dares him to and really that's a great bonus to have with a scrambling QB to be able to get that on broken plays.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't understand the "only draft a QB later in the draft" philosophy. It's basically saying "draft a QB that no one thinks very highly of!" Why bother?

Identify someone who you think can be great and go get him. Or don't take anyone at all. Just picking up random guys later in the draft and hoping they defy all expectations is just silly.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason I liked RG3 so much in college was because he wasn't a running QB despite his physical ability to run. He is best as a pocket passer and should be used that way, just because he has the athleticism to be a running QB doesn't mean he's best used that way.

13. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

This is the real rg3. Majority in DC metro want him gone.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic since that's exactly what Washington did when they drafted RG3.... and its the only thing saving the RG3 trade from being a complete disaster for them (and what makes RG3 expendable today).

"later" in the draft is also where the consensus *best* QB of that 2014 draft was selected (Carr), and the one that everybody thought BOB was secretly hot on (Jimmy G).

The Texans need to make a strong effort to improve the position.... but just because you're not sold on the guy being a 1st round pick, doesn't mean you need to avoid the position altogether.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Part of his success as a pocket passer came from defenses having to respect his ability to be a dynamic running threat.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True, but scrambling should be something he does rarely, not as part of the game plan.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not exactly. It's doubtful SEA doesn't run at least some plays specifally for Wilson to run. Griffin doesn't know how to slide. He gets rocked too much. Unless your point is, Griffin specifically, shouldn't run.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I love how ESPN pushes the Manziel to Dallas talkā€¦and the RG3 to Dallas talk. One of them might happen, but definitely not both.

Anyways, Hoyer has no place on this team after that performance in the playoffs. Cut him and we get 5 million dollars extra on the salary cap with no dead money. Absolutely ZERO reason to keep him around, even as a back up.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

I remember that, when RG3 was drafted, everyone loved his interview answers, and how he composed himself.

I wonder what changed.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Texans consistently making the mistake of trying out players that nobody wants. Yes. He has potential. But it has been 3 years. How many times are u going to go down this road before realizing you need to draft a quarterback, start 'em, and try to develop. I think the RGIII drama is exaggerated. He's a good kid. But Houston needs to go looking for their own answer at QB.