1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting JFF...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Manziel is a very similar QB to Micheal Vick if Micheal Vick was a lot slower and less athletic.

Also, I hear you talking about how hard he's been working, yet all we ever seem to hear about is how hard he's been partying....

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

lol ... I forgot about you from the draft thread. Forgot that JFF banged your mom or something.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cause a) the media sucks and b) he can multi-task.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH it's VY all over again.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

VY was with your mom too? Daaaayum

6. Remii

Remii Member

If that's the case no team would ever draft a quarterback in the 1st round. But with the rookie pay scale it's not like that investment is significantly greater than others.

Do you mean like Clowney in pass coverage :confused: Or the entire Texans secondary for that matter. Lol...

What if Blake would have fell to #22-23. Would you be willing to lose out on Xavier and Nix for him...???

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I can't wait for the regular season to start, but I'm sure there will still be excuses flowing for some people.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

That might have something to do with the media making a story out of Manziel going out one night...but staying quiet when he's working for a month in a row without going out. Come on.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's not the issue; you're trying to level the playing field by pretending teams invest evenly in every single position, and that simply isn't true. What team trades two starters for a guard?

Yes. There are many ways they might be able to cover for it. How many ways can they cover for an incompetent QB when it's 3rd and 7? Don't bother answering... we'll get to all witness it first hand this year, I'm afraid...

No.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Ok...

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The play where he scrambles for perhaps 20 yards or so and then slides keeps getting replayed over and over on Disney Sports. It's like brain-washing.

12. rezdawg

You're placing way too much importance on OG and DT...specially when both of those positions are being manned by guys that arent proven. If youre going with unproven talent, then QB trumps everything, all day, every day.

Now, if we had taken a RT and a CB with those picks, then you'd have a point...but OG and DT arent game changing positions.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

The guy is going to have a great one or two years in the league

14. Hey Now!

You're getting lost in the weeds. I would not trade two potential starters, regardless of position, for a QB drafted 22nd overall with no general consensus about his ability to translate his game to the NFL.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Not that a general consensus matters but are you saying Blake didn't have a general consensus that his game would translate...?

16. rezdawg

If you're waiting for a QB that will have a general consensus for his game translating to the NFL, then the Texans will never end up with a franchise QB. Other than maybe 3 NFL starters, no other QB had a general consensus.

#156 rezdawg, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  17. Hey Now!

He was more prototypical, sure. That's the problem with Manziel - there's really no precedent; he's a wholly unique prospect.

I was in favor of the Texans drafting him; but I wouldn't give up resources to draft him. The risk is just too big. You don't want to be looking for a new QB *and* two more starters next year.

18. Hey Now!

There's no scientific approach, obviously. But there are basic fundamentals QBs should have (and those are evolving - speed/quickness is becoming a greater neccessity, for instance) and I'm not entirely sure Manziel has them. I went to A&M and watched him each and every week. He was fun but did things that would get absolutely, positively chewed up in the NFL. He turned his back to the LOS, he chucked balls up for grabs, he threw across field while scrambling in the opposite direction... I think he's an exciting player; I think it's going to be fun watching him... heck, I wanted the Texans to take him because I thought it'd be a blast.

But I would never waste additional resources on him. If they thought he was first-overall worthy, cool. If he dropped to 33, cool. But trading two top 80-ish picks for him? No way.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Go out and win games. That's how we'll be the talk of the town.

Good for Cleveland getting Manziel, though. That football team needs all the love and the exposure it can get from ESPN.

20. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

OK... :confused:

I am glad the Texans didn't draft the guy. I just don't think he will live up to the hype. Apparently 21 other teams thought the same, until he called the Browns and begged them to draft him.