1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Revisiting JFF...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it would be a great success for Manziel to reach RG3's current level. I don't think there's much chance of it honestly. He doesn't have the talent with his legs or his arm that RG3 does and RG3 is pretty far ahead of him on the mental part of the game. I'm not saying RG3 is some great QB, only that Manziel has very little talent at the NFL level.

2. Summer Song Giver

Okay, we disagree, RGIII may be out of that job in the next year or so if Kirk Cousins continues to outshine him.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We do, Manziel may never earn the job to be able to lose it, he certainly wouldn't if Cousins was on the same team as him.

4. Remii

Remii Member

Johnny is more like Doug Flutie on a molly IMO... Lol. If he studies tape on Flutie and Russell and learn to pick and choose when he runs _ he'll be fine.... RG3 hasn't learned to win with his arm yet so there's still question marks on him.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Kirk Cousins...??? Lol... That's an anonymous report that said that. Probably Washington trying to drive his trade value up.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

ESPN keeps bringing up how the Texans passed on Manziel.. didn't 20 other teams pass on him as well? smh

7. Summer Song Giver

Texans have arguably the worst starting QB in the game, and a local boy falls into the area where your lap could have very easily been; that's why.

Texans continue to outsmart themselves. We get Fitzpatrick for their (lack of) efforts.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. He's not a local .

2. How would giving up picks to trade up for him help our QB situation? We'd still have arguably the worst starting QB in the game and we'd have fewer draft picks.

3. ESPN is pretty much a joke.

9. Summer Song Giver

1. Everyone's local to a certain degree, just depends on the definition of local, in state talent maybe?

2. Not if Johnny is better than Fitz, that's not so much a reach even in year one I think. We'd also have hope, right now where does the hope lie, over in another thread they are already discussing next year's crop of QBs, that's promising right? Personally I think we'll eek out enough wins 5 or 6 that we'll have to "move up" for one of those guys anyway, ha the Texans.

3. Agree minus the pretty much part.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sure; but it's easier to cover-up or outright replace OL/DL. If you miss with your QB, the impact could last for years. The Matt Schaub implosion has already cost the Texans one year (2013, not to mention derailing a promising 2012), more than likely this year (as I don't see Fitzpatrick outplaying '13 Schaub) and every single year thereafter until they find a suitable replacement.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When did this organization ever say that Fitz was the long-term solution? He's clearly a stop gap... one they feel will do better than Manziel this year or even next year, while they come up with a "better" solution.

I don't think anybody is saying the Texans are fine with QB... I think everybody is saying that they didn't need to risk trading or passing up on other players THIS year for the QB's that were available.

They probably consider moving up more if the quality of QB was better... they weren't going to move up for Manziel and/or Bridgewater (and weren't going to draft Bortles over Clowney).

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even though this thread is not about Clowney, can anybody really say with a straight face that him + Watt has a high risk of being a failure?

Now, I know you can say that pretty much about "anybody" + Watt... but you have a guy with all the physical tools needed to succeed, and you pair him with one of the most special/gifted pass-rushers in this league, there is absolutely no way teams can get away with not game-planning against them (freeing up plentiful weak-side opportunities for safety - Swearinger or LB - Cushing/Reed blitzes).

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. I'm sure "in state talent" is how they see it, but he grew up over 200 miles away and in pretty much any other state, that wouldn't be in state talent. Also, what difference does that make? There's like 8 or 9 starting QB's in the NFL that either are from Texas or who played here and another 10 or so that are backups.

2. In a legitimate QB competition, I doubt Manziel would beat out Fitz and Keenum, he just doesn't have the talent or work ethic. Even if he managed to be marginally better than those two, is that really worth wasting multiple picks on? We'd still need a QB.

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Bottom line is that the Texans messed up. With JFF, this team has the excitement, energy, and talent to have a chance to do something special. Sure he may bomb in the NFL, but at least you are going for it, and you really have that chance.

Instead, the Texans have a good amount of talent on both sides of the ball, but with no real "high potential" talent at the QB position, the most important position on the field, this team has absolutely no chance of going anywhere special. With a great year for Fitzpatrick, by his standards, the best the Texans can hope for is an early playoff exit. That is in the best possible case, just like we had with Matt Schaub. Might as well have kept Schaub around.

I was all for JFF, but even if they had decided on Bridgewater, Bortles, or even Carr, I would have at least felt they were taking a chance and "going for it." Instead they play the safe route, like always, with a best case scenario of an early playoff exit. This feeling is why Andre Johnson went ballistic, and I believe he has every right to be upset. Teams that don't go for it are destined for mediocrity year in and year out.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, that would be the sentiment if you had the "its this year or bust!" mentality. Also, there is no NFL team that consistently "goes for it" year in and year out, so by your definition they're all mediocre... do you really think the Browns (who are in the NFL dictionary under "mediocre") are "going for it"??? The Cowboys have been even more mediocre than the Texans over the last 4 years... why aren't they "going for it??"

They're trying to rebuild a 2-14 team.... and while you can make quick turnarounds in the NFL, I don't think at any point did anybody with actual knowledge feel this team was one QB away from getting there.

They clearly don't like Manziel as a QB... bust potential or not... and will wait to see what other/better options come down the road (and whether or not they're in position to act on those options).

16. RocketManJosh

Yes, it does have a high risk of being a failure. I feel it is almost a certainty that it will be a failure.

Without a good to great QB, this team has very little chance of succeeding, and finding one of those guys is hard, and not something you can just assume is going to happen in the next 2-3 years. You have be going for it to have a chance of finding that QB.

With that said, if Clowney becomes all world, and plays well alongside JJ Watt, great. This team wins some games with no chance at the Super Bowl because they don't have the QB. In 5 years, when Clowney is up for contract, you absolutely cannot pay both him and Watt what they are going to command. That would leave too many holes in the rest of the team (we saw this with Mario leaving).

So if in those 5 years, we don't win anything (which is unlikely given aging talent like AJ and no potential solution at the QB), where does a great Clowney+JJ Watt really get us? No where.

17. Remii

Remii Member

That's not necessarily true. If you miss on any position it can hurt the team for years... The quarterback position is just the position that people pay the most attention to.

Since Mario has been gone the Texans have spent two 1st round picks on pass rushers that play the same position (and some mid-round picks as well) and they also haven't been able to sure up the right tackle position since Winston left. So it's not as easy as you make it seem.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the same sense that the Jags were "going for it" when they drafted Gabbert, yes.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3 of the last 4 QB's in the NFL weren't "good to great" but were basically average or game managers and yet this belief that teams are doomed without "good to great" QB's still persists....

20. RocketManJosh

Yes, 2-14, but a team that lost a TON of close games with a QB that had a record number of Pick 6s in consecutive games that also went to the second round of the playoffs 2 years in a row with terrible play from the QB position in the playoffs. Sorry, but this team is A LOT closer than a 2-14 record implies. This team gave up last year, and I believe they could have played a lot better with the energy that a new QB could bring.

I don't believe it's that the Texans didn't like Manziel as a QB, it's that they didn't like the spotlight that it brings on them, and they are not willing to take a chance on failing in the spotlight like that. McNair pretty much said that himself.

The Texans can keep on waiting for the perfect situation to fall on their lap, but even if it did, they'd likely screw it up based on their history.