1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting JFF...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, I sort of find that odd, but it's still fine. Even if you completely ignore all of the off-field stuff, Manziel doesn't have the size or skill set to make it in the NFL IMO. I don't think he has the running ability or passing ability to play at an NFL level and I see him as basically just a short, small version of Vince Young that did well on the Wonderlic.

That said, obviously I could be wrong, it's happened once before.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are no bigger. Manziel has a stronger arm than Wilson. The off field stuff doesnt worry me either. He's shown to be a hard worker when it's time to shut up and get to work. I think he clearly understands his position right now and he's putting in the work necessary to succeed. He's been nothing but solid in his time at camp. The dude wont slack off.

Again, not saying the guy is a superstar, but I dont think it's far fetched to say that he could be a solid NFL player. I dont think throwing around a "bias" label for someone that has that opinion makes much sense. He could be good, he could be bad...but what the Texans have at this moment, is no hope of a future QB. It didnt have to be Manziel, but I think the Texans made a huge mistake in passing up on any QB that has some potential to be a solid NFL QB. They hung their hat on Savage, who is very far removed from being the guy...even someone like Aaron Murray would have made more sense than Savage. At least Murray has proven himself in the SEC...and actually had similar numbers to Stafford, who played on the same team, in the same system, against similar competition.

3. Fantasma Negro

With the 8th pick of the 2015 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select Jameis Winston quarterback from Florida State

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno, when I see Manziel, I see a poor man's Micheal Vick with Matt Leinart's work ethic.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't know, man... I wanted them to draft Manziel because I thought it would breathe life into what has been a rather boring franchise. But from a strict football perspective? The boom-to-bust ratio is sooooooo much smaller for linemen; if all three reach their potential, sure - Manziel has a higher ceiling ( I think). He definitely has a significantly riskier floor. At their very worst, Xavier and Nix can be rotational/depth guys. More likely, they'll be productive starters from day one.

Manziel is just too big a question mark; a player of his unique skillset has never worked in the NFL. And when you add his offield antics, and how annoying.distracting that can be... I don't think I'd make the trade. I don't think a lot of other teams would have made the trade, either.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Anyone who uses Tebow and VY as a comparison to Johnny is being completely biased. Tebow could only play in a read option offense ---> That's no comparison to Johnny.
    And VY couldn't read defenses or a play book ---> That's no comparison to Johnny.

And it's okay that you "hate the hype" that Johnny has... But that also shows how truly biased you are.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And Manziel can?

Remember, VY lasted a few years (even made a pro bowl as an injury replacement) before those "issues" caught up with him.

I'm expecting Manziel's lack of recognizing defenses, and his skiddish nature to take off at the first sign of coverage/trouble/"just because" to be an issue from the get-go.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Really :confused:

And defensive lineman bust as much as any other position in the NFL BTW... And you hardly never know what you'll get out of an offensive lineman.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why does Manziel have to be boom or bust? It's like people think he's going to completely bomb or he's going to change the NFL. There is more of a likelihood that he is a decent NFL QB. Let's say 20% he bombs, 60% he's middle of the pack, and 20% he's a top 10 NFL QB. With those odds, you have to take the chance at giving up a OG (a position that is easily replaceable) and a DT that has injury concerns. Even if he turns out average, like an Andy Dalton, it's still worth that trade, imo. I'd do that 100 times out of 100.

A QB trumps everything else on the football field. If you have a chance at someone that can be good, you take it. The Texans are in a horrible situation right now and there is no telling when it can get better.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's a good point, if you go back over his film, Manziel is awful when it comes to reading defenses and you'll see that by how many wide open receivers he just didn't see...and that was in college. Things are much more advanced in the NFL.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Two big-time exceptions that slipped in the draft for a reason... and neither had anywhere close to the hype that Manziel has totally bought into, which does impact a player's development.

If both Wilson and Brees came in with similar hype, I feel strongly that they would not be as successful as they ended up being. Especially Brees who was given up on due to his perceived failures, and needed that wake-up call (along with being paired up with the perfect coach and ideal offense) to become a true star.

Wilson also impressed people more with his acumen, his makeup, his ability to read defenses, and his overall football IQ first... prior to his athleticism.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think if people bought in to your odds, he'd be thought of more highly. Again, tell me how he's any different than a poor man's Micheal Vick that parties like Matt Leinart?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because most first round/hyped QB's are boom or bust.

Also, I don't see anybody saying he's going to "change the NFL"... but certainly, if he succeeds with his style, it will be unprecedented. I just don't see him creating a lot of imitations... as what he does is mostly instinctual/intangible vs. something that can be taught (and still, with that "special ability", I don't see him having a lot of success in the NFL).

14. Remii

Remii Member

You can expect what you want and that's completely fine... I'm not trying to change your mind or debate your opinion. But you've showed your biased by comparing him to a quarterback who can't throw in Tebow, and to a quarterback who didn't try and was a head case who choked the goose who was going to lay the golden egg once he got to the NFL in VY.

On the subject of Johnny there's no debating with you because you have no objectivity and Rez is just wasting his time.

15. Summer Song Giver

There were probably only 5 players over the last 10 years that were bust proof. Johnny isn't one of them, however his ceiling is very comparable to an RGIII, the fact that he was available late in the first is a gamble a team in need of a QB has to take.

From all reports the Texans abstain from any conversation to make him the pick, that is why they are gutless.

16. Remii

Remii Member

McNair has made it perfectly clear that Johnny doesn't fit the system that the Texans want to run. The Texans want players that fit their system... Which is probably why they drafted the best defensive lineman prospect in the past 10-20 years and made him a linebacker.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, how is it comparable to RG3? RG3 had more physical talent, and had the mental aspects of the game more under control his first game in college than Manziel does today.

Again, the comparison is a poor man's Vick.

18. Summer Song Giver

Mcnair has made it perfectly clear he has no business anywhere near a football operations conversation as well. He nor his puppet GM do in fact, that leaves our rookie head coach in over his head.... GO TEXANS!

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Manziel is an accurate thrower. He just need to stay in the pocket

20. Summer Song Giver

Disagree, in fact RGIII for all his talents seems to be stuck in quick sand as far as his progression goes. You telling me Manziel isn't at a minimum of reaching RGIII current level, we'll have to disagree.