1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisiting JFF...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's clearly Bottles or GarrApolo

2. Mr. Clutch

This is the NFL, no one gives a crap what happened in the sec.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rather have Clowney. There's a reason why Manziel dropped in a league that is desperate for QB's. He has a huge bust factor. The hype doesn't win you football games as VY surely demonstrated, that takes actual ability and the work ethic to improve. Every minute you spend drinking and partying, which sounds like a lot for Manziel, is time you could spend getting better.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if he didn't do all those things, the odds would be against him... its highly unlikely for somebody of Manziel's overall skill-set, his college system background (unlike anything he will have to deal with in the NFL), and his overall size to have a lot of success in this league.

Add in his off-the-field issues, and the franchise he was drafted to, and he's got quite the uphill climb to make a career of it.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

6. Mr. Clutch

I saw it

7. CometsWin

Yes and that's why it baffles me why some people are so enamored with him. He doesn't have the big arm or great accuracy or anything near the size you'd want either in height or body type and though he runs around a lot he's not fast. He doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent or having high football IQ either. So he's just going to show up and win games in the NFL because why exactly? It would not surprise me if Manziel spent as many weeks on the DL as he does on the field.

8. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

Hey Now,you know them dudes at ESPN can't handle this TEXAS HEAT! There is now way they would hang around Houston practices for more than a day! Their sorry a$$es would melt!:p

9. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed :grin:

10. CometsWin

What does the inevitable Manziel implosion have to do with Clowney? Nobody but the most delusional Manziel crazy advocated taking Manziel over Clowney. If we could not trade down Clowney was going to be the pick. Cry about it all you want.

#70 CometsWin, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Bobbythegreat hates Manziel...but most unbiased people view Manziel as someone that can potentially be a franchise QB. Potentially.

He made some nice plays in his first preseason game and if he continues to build upon that, then yes, I would most definitely trade an OG and an injury prone DT for a solid NFL QB. That shouldnt even be a question unless you think Manziel is absolutely going to suck.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most "unbiased" people who think Manziel could be a potential future franchise QB are likely still biased, or have some sort of A&M background/rooting interest. With all the evidence we have of which QB's excel and which ones fail, it would be hard to make a case for Manziel unless there was a degree of bias.

I don't "hate" him... I just hate the hype. Hell, if you compare him to Tebow and VY on paper, those two guys likely had more of a chance of succeeding (especially VY)... and still failed.

That being said, if he is able to prove me wrong and succeeds, he deserves every bit of hype being thrown his way right now.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't "hate" him, the hype is just annoying. He's the next coming of Vince Young and Tebow, ridiculously overzealous fans, very slim chance of ever being even an average QB in the NFL. As to the part about him potentially being a franchise QB, that's exactly what Tebow fans thought too.

14. rezdawg

Okay, but there isnt any bias in saying that he could be a solid NFL QB...just like Bridgewater...just like Bortles. Instead, the Texans stood pat and drafted Savage, who's odds of becoming a solid NFL QB are very, very low.

Even at just the potential at getting a solid NFL QB, it should be a no brainer to trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick to move up to grab a QB of that caliber. So to my original point, yes, I would absolutely trade our OG and oft injured DT for a chance at a solid NFL QB. It doesnt matter if "Manziel" is written on the back of the jersey or another name.

15. rezdawg

I didnt go to Florida, A&M, or Texas...so I have no affiliation with any of these QBs. Manziel, to me, is far superior to any of the other two.

I never thought of Tebow as an NFL QB and Id be surprised if anyone outside of Gatorville had a different opinion.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Browns-Lions featuring Johnny Manziel had 1.8 NIelsen rating on NFL Network, best preseason number in net history. Houston rating was 3.6.</p>&mdash; David Barron (@dfbarron) <a href="https://twitter.com/dfbarron/statuses/499217532335575041">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnny Impact: Saturday night's Browns-Lions game is the most watched preseason game in NFL Network history (2.8M viewers)</p>&mdash; darren rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/statuses/499210102466162688">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnny Football proves to be a TV draw: CLE-DET sets rating &amp; viewership record for preseason game on <a href="https://twitter.com/nflnetwork">@nflnetwork</a>: <a href="http://t.co/i9py7jNVM5">http://t.co/i9py7jNVM5</a></p>&mdash; NFL Media PR (@InsideNFLMedia) <a href="https://twitter.com/InsideNFLMedia/statuses/499213689057067008">August 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

#76 J.R., Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, he was a more accomplished college QB, had a more sturdy frame to make injury concern less, was by all accounts a "good guy" without worry for off the field distractions, and deemed to have enough arm strength and overall strength to be worth a first round pick (selected higher than Manziel).

But yes, I agree... I never thought of him as a potential future franchise QB. Just like I don't think of Manziel as one.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except he couldn't throw the ball.

1 person likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Except, as Air Langhi said, had throwing motion or throwing mechanic issues.

And Manziel went 22nd, Tebow 25th.

20. rezdawg

It was a shocker for Tebow to get drafted where he did...the guy had no throwing ability. Manziel, on the other hand, has an incredible arm.