1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reuters] U.S. Prewar Intelligence Saw Possible Iraq Insurgency

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Sep 28, 2004.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you read franks' book, or perhaps hear his speech to the RNC, or his interview w/ jim lehr afterwards? he's a pretty strong Bush supporter and has some strong feeling of a different sort for Senator Notbush.

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Wow, excellent find, mc mark. Thanks.

So, basso, I don't see a date, so I'll ask first- you still stand by this?

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

LOL! That's great that he supports Bush.

Care to address the substance of my post, and the specific quotes from Franks in this thread which have nothing to do with his RNC speech? I'm still lol here.

4. basso

Supporting Member

i wrote it in response to a post of yours a few days ago. unlike Notbush, i don't change positions every three days, so yes, i stand by my statement.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Franks says Kerry qualified for president
    Posted 8/8/2004 6:09 PM Updated 8/9/2004 8:47 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — Retired Gen. Tommy Franks, producer of the early military successes in Afghanistan and Iraq, said Sunday that criticism of John Kerry's war record is political hyperbole and Kerry is "absolutely" qualified to be commander in chief.

A year into retirement, Franks also said he has not decided whether to endorse President Bush for re-election. "I don't know yet. I'm leaning in that direction," he said on ABC's This Week.

Franks, whose hometown is Midland, Texas — where the president and first lady Laura Bush grew up — has been making television appearances in recent days to publicize his just-published memoirs, "American Soldier."

"Do you think Senator Kerry is qualified to be commander in chief?" Franks was asked.

"Absolutely!" he said.

But like the criticism of Kerry, the retired general said the Democratic nominee's recent harsh words about the war plan Franks created in Afghanistan was motivated by politics and his failure to capture al-Qaeda network leader Osama bin Laden.

"I think a presidential election year is a marvelous thing. I think Senator Kerry is a patriot. And I think what ... what we're doing is, we're seeing an attempt to sort of draw the lines between the two parties in this country. And I wouldn't have it any other way," Franks said.

The characterization of Kerry as a coward and liar who did not earn the medals awarded him for his Vietnam service came in a television ad sponsored by a group that fashions calls itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Kerry was skipper of one of the small Mekong River boats and received the Silver Star and Bronze Star for valor and three Purple Hearts for wounds.

"I really work hard to stay away from hyperbole," Franks said. "People ask me all the time about 'Fahrenheit 9/11' and then others will ask me about some equally vitriolic view at the end of the continuum on the conservative side."

"I believe that life really is someplace between the two," Franks said, "and so I am not a fan of hyperbole, whether it is for or against Senator Kerry or George W. Bush."

"Fahrenheit 9/11" is the anti-Bush film by documentary filmmaker Michael Moore.

Franks said he also has not decided whether he would want to speak at the Republican National Convention.

"I'm a fiercely independent kind of guy and rather proud of it," Franks said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-08-08-franks-on-kerry_x.htm

6. basso

Supporting Member

what's your point? no one is questioning whether kerry is qualified to be president, they're questioning whether he should be president. franks is voting for Bush.

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

you said Franks was a strong Bush supporter and had strong anti-Kerry feelings.

Franks said he wasn't even sure who he was endorsing in early August and he seemed OK with Kerry back then too.

No one is questioning Kerry being qualified???
    Many people on this BBS have on several occasions.

8. basso

Supporting Member

did you not see franks speak at the RNC? whatever he may have said back in august, by labor day he'd clearly made up his mind.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

to me that doesn't equate to strong Bush supporter
    and where in his speech does he dis John Kerry as you implied?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57264-2004Sep2.html

10. basso

Supporting Member

endorsing bush and speaking on his behalf at the rnc doesn't equate with being a strong bush supporter???????????

his comments re Notbush i've posted in another thread, i'll try and find them to repost. you can find them yourself at pbs.org search for "franks"

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

not when he goes from not being sure to doing that in less than one month.

Tommy Franks is a flip flopper! :)