1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reuters.com] China man registers "Yao Ming" sanitary pads

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RioGrando, Nov 10, 2006.

1. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Sorry this one caught my eye. Sorry if it's a dup-thread, lock if necessary.

China man registers "Yao Ming" sanitary pads

BEIJING (Reuters) - A man in southern China has applied to register a line of women's sanitary products under the name of Chinese basketball star Yao Ming, state media said on Friday.

"This kind of registration is obviously malicious," Xinhua news agency quoted "Team Yao" spokesman Lu Hao, as saying. "It's unbelievable that someone could do such a thing. It's just too much."

Yao is one of China's best known and highest paid sportsmen. The 7ft-5in centre plays with the Houston Rockets in the NBA.

The application, which also included Yao Ming-branded medicine and disposable underwear, was listed on the national trademark office Web site and about to enter a "three-month approval" period, Xinhua said.

The application comes as Chinese singer Ai Dai plans to take legal action over a businessman registering a line of condoms in her name, Xinhua said in a separate report.

The brand name "Ai Dai" is a play on words for "love to wear".

In July, a media storm broke after a man from China's southeastern province of Fujian applied to register condoms and other contraceptive products using the brand name of China's state-run news channel, CCTV1.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...A-SANITARY.XML&WTmodLoc=NewsLanding-C11-Odd-2

This is a travesty! I was just telling a friend of mine today to get a snap shot of one of his famous ball player friends wearing a t-shirt with his website name. I guess that makes me a hypocrit because Yao should be as far as possible from advertising sanitary pads (he's already famous, regular guys need the help getting in the places where Yao's name could possibly rest on a woman!) This is just tasteless (but hilarious)!

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What's the word on the Yao Ming beer that was rumored a couple years ago? I GOT to get me some of that.

3. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

I heard about Clinton and Monica condoms in China but Yao Tampons? I can see it might work for a condom though :D

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ok, that is kinda funny...I mean, manpons...

5. today

today Contributing Member

Let's hear some marketing lines for this one, I'll go first: "Stay clean, strap on a Ming."

LOL, I know some of you guys will have me rolling here in a second...

6. FFz

FFz Member

... i have more problems with this ignorant writer. Obivously he needs to talk to Steve Kerr about the use of china man.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I think "Jeff Van Gundy" tampons can make more money

8. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Yao's gonna be up there in the HOF with Wilt Chamberlain for all the 'Tang he'll get once the product hits the shelf in China!

But seriously, who's gonna be the hardcore memorabilia collector to pick up a pack of "Yao-pons"? Photographic proof necessary.

9. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

If the pads can make it tasteless... ship em over here :p

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

It says yao is "one of the highest paid athletes in china"....ok seriously, is there any athlete in china who is paid more. I mean this guy will make over 120 mil on basketball alone before he retires, i believe after this contract he will crack the 100 mil mark, adding his rookie contract with his current one.

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Chris Kaman gets a 52 million extention. Last year, I think Yao got a sub-100 million extention. Oh well, probably to save some money for the Rockets to sign free agents.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ai Dai.

Not sure how that's pronounced, but... hehe.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Liu Xiang, the guy won 110 hurdle, regularly now, who was the first Chinese male to win a medal in track in international competition, is getting all kinds of endorsement left and right, domestically and internationally. Getting paid, yes, I think Liu is on par with Yao, but not salary wise.

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

[ai] [dai], "Ai" is the exact same pronouciation of the Chinese word for "Love", "Dai" is the same as Chinese word for "wear". Same pronounciation, different characters, happen to be the name of some female actress. That's just so wrong. :D

15. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao Ming on a string.....

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I can see the ad now: A woman coyly looking downward, then a flirty smile saying "Makes me feel (breathless)....Yao."

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Both first rate quips. I'm still rolling on the floor laughing.

18. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Yao, "Nah, baby, I don't live with my parents, I have my own pad."

19. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

Yao clogs the lane! :)

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

A little somethin' for the ladies...

[​IMG]