1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Returning to Houston after being away 11 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Band Geek Mobster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Hopefully it hasn't changed as much as the format of this website! :eek: :cool: Is the speed limit still 65 or did that get reduced to 55 again??? I need to prepare myself for this mentally and emotionally. What else has changed in Houston in the past 11 years? I already know about Astroworld. I'm sure that space is being used for much better things!

Nook and heypartner like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It hasn't gotten any smaller and the traffic hasn't gotten any better, but Houston is still a great city. Good luck!

3. VanityHalfBlack

If you see a wagon trailing west. It's katy,BOOK NOW!!!

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

We use designated hitters now.

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Moving here from what city?

6. Band Geek Mobster

I forgot about that change. Instead of hating the Cubs/Cardinals, we now hate the...Rangers?

7. Band Geek Mobster

I'm currently living in a shoe box in San Francisco paying $2,000/month. o_O

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Yes, yes we do.

Are you a Rice grad? Guessing from your moniker? If so, welcome back! Class of '10 here.

9. Band Geek Mobster

I'm thrilled to be coming back. Something I never would have imagined hearing my future self say 11 years ago...

10. Band Geek Mobster

My name is a callback to my love for the Voodoo Glow Skulls. It was a different time back in 2000...

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If you're planning on living inner loop Midtown, Uptown (Galleria) or downtown, you'll be paying about the same. There is a huge excess of apts and condo's now though but pricing hasn't gone down much if any at all since the oil layoffs. You will be amazed at how much the city, especially inner loop @ midtown and the parks have changed. It's a totally different city now.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hobby now has international flights

Swimming in galveston is like playing russian roulette

Astrodome is a rat infested rust bucket...oh wait, nothings changed in 11 years

Woodlands is noice

Bufallo Bayou Park is noice

Dont be shocked if you see $80 mil high school stadiums going up

Dont fall into any potholes...but if you do theres an app for that

Kim and LonghornFan like this.
  13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I guess I need to move away now since I was your fill-in for the past decade.

Band Geek Mobster likes this.
  14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

$2000 outside of the loop should get out something pretty nice.

I just moved back about 2 years ago after 15 years in Austin. Lots of changes everywhere you go. When I grew up in The Woodlands, there were about 10,000 people and we had to go to Spring, down 1960, or Conroe for just about everything short of groceries. Now it's over 100,000 and you don't have to leave for anything.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Ha! Good one.

donkeypunch likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can still hate the Cubs.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Welcome back! Make sure you live inside the loop (preferrably midtown) and make sure you do most of the stuff inside the loop.

Out of loopers are crazy, they have bad driving habits - they text and drive, they take selfies while driving. The city also gets dirtier as you go further and further outside the loop and you have lots of weirdos like @SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D and LonghornFan like this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just as always, you'll walk out of the airport....and for a moment, smell every chemical in the air...and then after about 10-15 seconds..nothing. The masking agent that works with the olfactory system is in full force.

Rolling into town, or at some point early on, it'll hit home that the native art of offensive/defensive driving with manners is lost, forgotten, or never known by many in our sprawling metropololis.....this boiling pot of heat and anger.

We've lost SOME of our southern hospitality...Still friendlier than most cities, but nevertheless a microcosm of society.

And, all of us Rockets / Texans fans are still held hostage by the same crappy owners.

So, welcome home. : )-

#18 Plowman, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    tinman and pippendagimp like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still no Rockets championships since Clutch City.
    Owner still cheap.

20. Band Geek Mobster

I've had the great misfortune of living in San Antonio, Boston, and San Francisco and seen each team win a championship. We need to swing a trade at the right moment for the right player to have a chance, and Les has shown willingness to do that every time he's had the chance.