1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Retiring Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Do you think Rockets will retire Yao's jersey in the future?

1. Yes, he's done so much

181 vote(s)
    40.1%
  2. No, too injury prone

99 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Ask me in a few years

171 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. wgray

wgray Member

what has he done??? nuthing yet

2. wgray

wgray Member

he dont fit yet

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Of course not. If we're raising Yao's jersey, we might as well do the same for Steve Francis. He's been the face of the franchise too.

The fact is, there hasn't been a player worthy of this honor since the Hakeem-Clyde era.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

As much as I want him to be retired, he needs to get back to his old self and if that happens it will happen.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Maybe someone could make a list of All-time Rox players and see where Yao fits on that list?

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is hilarious. The guy has not accomplished ANYTHING at all yet for the Rockets and you want to hang his jersey on the rafters with our other legends? Let's take a look at him:

- Bring success to the team... hardly. Last time I checked, his tenure is mostly marked by postseason failures, injuries, and we still have only two O'Brian trophies.
    - Bring the team and city more visibility... not really. There may have been hype initially, but players that actually matter are still going elsewhere. Nowadays, the only publicity Yao brings is the big question of "When will he come back again?"
    - "1.4 billion fans" is something that makes me laugh. You mean all those worthless YOF riding him like the worthless parasitic sluts they are? If anything, those r****ds make our fan base look worse. If by getting rid of Yao, we lose all those mindless ****s, then that in itself is a good enough reason for me for the Rockets to dump Yao.

Yao has not done anything for the Rockets that warrants his place with the rest of the Rockets legends.

7. Happii

Happii Member

Yes, his jersey would probably be retired due to the amount of money the franchise is making from him, through merchandise and whatnot.

8. J-Man

J-Man Member

Like Hakeem or Clyde?

hell no

But if he can get us to a championship....

hell yes

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If they retire his jersey it will only be because the NBA and the Chinese sponsors will presure them to do it marketing wise.
    Certainly not basketball-wise.

10. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Houston will retire his Jersey because he is the 1st Asian Basketball player who had a huge impact globalizing NBA in China (the largest market in the world). I compare this to the Jackie Robinson era.

That alone is enough to hang his Jersey.

If you don't understand that statement, you need a history lesson.

11. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

He is still an All Star every single year and still put up great numbers before his injury. You can compare him to Drazen Petrovic who was retired by the Nets.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Didn't Elvin Hayes also wear #11?

13. deshen

deshen Member

I have to say sorry for that. One time tour of the second round is not enough for that.

14. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

No WAY Yao deserves to have his jersey retired. NO WAY.

Not at this point anyway, it would take a comeback of epic proportions. Meaning, he would need to do more than just "come back"...he would need to be even better than he ever was before AND stay healthy for 2-3 years. I don't see that happening.

15. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

I can't believe 231 think, "Yes, he has done SO much."

Wow.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So 7 all-star selections in 7 years, all with the Rockets, isn't enough for him to have his jersey retired?

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If you made one of your poll choices... o Just Another Stupid Thread... I Guarantee that would win by a landslide.

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Just for the record, I would retire Yao's Jersey. 7 All star, quite a few 50 win seasons, and decent career averages. He also did make Rockets a national and international team.

Though I don't know about him bringing 1.4 Bn fans... maybe 20 million that will support the Rockets even after he leaves and about 200+ million people who would complain about how Yao would have been great if he just played on the Lakers and had competent management to bring in a PG that can just give him the ball and would follow the Lakers after Yao retires :cool: .

19. wgray

wgray Member

just because he is a good guy and he is but that don't get it

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Whether or not he's deserved it, Yao has been selected to the all-star team every year he's been eligible, and that's more than enough for his jersey to be retired.