1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Retiring Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Do you think Rockets will retire Yao's jersey in the future?

1. Yes, he's done so much

181 vote(s)
    40.1%
  2. No, too injury prone

99 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Ask me in a few years

171 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I would re-sign him if he except to play around 15 to 18 minutes from here on and come off the bench. That will extend his career and he can get a alot of touches in that time.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Retire Yao's jersey? No offense to anyone but why? I mean he's a nice guy but what has he done for this franchise? He's a good player but so far in Yao's era, the Rockets has not been successful. I mean he contribute a lot in other areas instead of basketball to this organization and the NBA. I respect him as a hard working player and person, but all the set backs took a big toll on his career.

I know his career isn't over but he is far from that dominant Yao Ming we all witness.

So retire Yao's jersey? Why? To remind us of all the disappointments and injuries?

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

didn't hakeem win 2? Even that didnt get you 1.4 billion fans. That alone retires yao jersey.

5. toby

toby Member

Since when does # of fans mean you should retire a jersey. Yao simply isn't as good as the any jersey the Rockets have retired. I'll give you your fans argument after he proves himself on the court. But right now, he's a Shaun Bradley.

6. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

jeez,,,how on earth did you put Shaun Bradley and Yao in the same sentence?? the freakin Shaun Bradley?? seriously??? i'd take a limping Yao anyday over Shaun Bradley....

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I'm surprised theres even a discussion about it. Of course his jersey gets retired. Not only that, he'll eventually get into the HOF.

Put it into perspective...assuming they had a good professional relationship w/ the organization, how many 7-time all-stars didn't get their jerseys retired?

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Agree on your point about the fans, that gets him in the Les Alexander HOF, and not doning enough on the court, HOWEVER, Yao, at one point, was recognized at the best center in the league while Bradley was a journeyman. Yao, to be honest, is Rik Smits. He is a tall, skilled big man who can do things most players his size can not but injuries have made him into something different.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pau Gasol probably won't be retired in Memphis. Garnett will be retired in Boston and not in Minny.

Yao deserves to be in the HOF simply because he's the ambassador of the NBA and China. If he retires right now his jersey doesn't deserve to be retired simply because he hasn't done enough for the franchise ont he court.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Both of them had greater success with another team so it's understandable that their original team won't retire their jerseys.

McGrady has 7 all-star appearances, but I wouldn't be surprised if his jersey wasn't retired. He was simply a bad employee.

So you're saying that he's HOF caliber, but not worthy of having his jersey retired? That logic might work for a player like Sabonis who came into the league in his 30's, but Yao came in when he was 22 and played his prime years here.

11. davidghall

davidghall Member

If so, I'm all for Zan Tabak having his number retired also.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

If anything, give him a purple heart, but NOT a medal of honor.

(excuse the military perspective)

1 person likes this.
  13. rox81

rox81 Member

We need to retire Yao, not his number.

14. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

So what your saying is the game is purely about the money...

15. rox81

rox81 Member

Exactly. To those Les Alexander d!ck-suckers on this board, it's all about the Benjamins. They don't care about the rings.

16. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

they have to...the guy has soldiered through so much pain...do u not remember him playing in pain in the playoff games until he was basically unable to move.

17. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I'd guess Yao gets retired because the benefits from fan reaction far outwiegh the drawbacks. You aren't going to piss off Houston if you retire him, but you might piss off China if you don't.

If he was no where near consideration based on his play, then an exception won't be made...but since he's in the neighborhood, why not.

I also think he makes HOF as the first Asian player to make signficant impact on the league.

Honestly though, I just want him to retire. He will never be traded, and will never be consistently in the lineup. Because of his unique nature, you can't play the same way with him as you can without him. I'd rather move on then continue to gamble on him.

18. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

It's not all or none. Yes, money factors in, but it's not as if Alexander doesn't care at all about winning.

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

can't you read? I'm explaining the reason why yaos jersey will be retired, having 1.4 billion fans isn't all about money.

20. toby

toby Member

the NBA is all about money.