1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Restaurants] Best Seafood?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by iRonRon, Mar 1, 2009.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

trulucks
    ocennaire
    reef (although i have a hard time believing this is the best seafood place in the country)

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That's exactly how I felt after going there. I was thinking "seriously, this was voted the best seafood in the country?"

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It was? I live across the street from there and have never made my way in. I did hear that they have a nice happy hour there. Any recommendations on what is good?

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Long John silvers fo sho.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, but some national magazine. My date had the "Redfish on a halfshell", and it was pretty awesome. I got the scallops which were average at best. We also got an oyster appetizer that was not good at all. Go check it out and get the redfish. I am also good friends with the girl that handles all of the wines, so she can hook you up with the perfect wine to compliment your meal.

6. what

what Member

I am sure there is a difference between when they service a national food critic and when they serve the joe blows of the world. For example, I live in Memphis and our so-called world famous bbq joint is Corky's. Well, I have never been served a descent bbq sandwich at that place and I just stopped going. Yet, when some famous person is in town you see these attention whores rolling out the red carpet, they plant their lips so far up the guys ass. That's what all these big joints do.

7. mic

mic Contributing Member

I had almost the exact same experience. I went for my birthday last Saturday with my best friend. We had mussels rather than oysters for the appetizer, and they were actually pretty tasty. But for the entree, I had the scallops, and they were pretty underwhelming. I had wanted the redfish on the halfshell, but that's what my best friend was getting, and I didn't want to get the same thing. The redfish was quite good, and the fried mac and cheese was very tasty. The dessert we had was also pretty tasty (the thin lime tart). But overall, it just didn't live up to the hype. I wasn't crazy about the atmosphere, either. I don't think I'll be going back in the near future. But I definitely know what I'll be getting when we do go back.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Considering it is a chain restaurant complete with a drive thru, they have some pretty damn good ribs. I also ate at Rendezvous, which I prefered, but Memphis ribs are better than Texas ribs.

BBQ isn't on the whole, but their ribs trump ours.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I hear the Boiling Crab is supposed to have delicious crawfish.

Funny you ask, I just asked my coworker yesterday the same question, she suggested this.

They say the seasoning is the best, "the whole shabang" you should Google them.

10. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

your mom's bedroom

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It's official.

Fatty Fat b*stard is out of his freaking mind.

Went to Danton's earlier this evening. It was wonderful. Beats the living crap out of Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen. Gumbo was to die for. Stuffed Shrimp were spectacular. Others at my table had the red beans & rice and shrimp creole and raved about it. Talked to one of the owners about playing their Sunday Blues Brunch...might be a go, will let you know.

Lay off the booze, Fatty. Your dead brain cells are killing your taste buds. Danton's is *****ing fantastic.

12. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Two thumbs up to the Boiling Crab. I went there for the first time on Sunday, and the the crawfish was darned good. Its a real easy going place where you don't have to worry about making a mess. Get there a bit early before you want to eat -had to wait about 40 mins to get seated.

13. Fatty FatBastard

The problem with the variety of restaurants in Houston is that if your first meal at a place fails to please, you rarely go back again. I don't recall what we ordered when we were there, but everything we ordered was unimpressive. They had just opened, though. I might give it a second chance. How was the shrimp stuffed?

And I'll stand by the two above plates I mentioned from Mandolas. Both are spectacular.

(Oh, and, FYI, I made your Nicoise salad. I liked it, but the girlie didn't, so :p on your advice)

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Nick's Italian Restaurant in Richmond tx or Nicks' Pasta Place on 610 and bellaire ..small family owned...they have Nick's specialty shrimp, basically 5 large jumbo shrimps the size of a baby's fist...lightly breaded topped with a lemon butter garlic sauce....it is amazing...comes with a side of veggies and pasta....among the best shrimp i have ever tasted.

15. Fatty FatBastard

I grew up at Bellaire and 610 and got my first car at Nick's Pasta Place. Of course at the time, it was an antique car dealership.

16. RocketMan Tex

I went to the Boiling Crab yesterday for the first time. Definitely two thumbs up. I will be back.

17. RocketMan Tex

Shrimp were stuffed with crabmeat and breading and then deep fried. Yum. You should try it again. I've had the same experience with going to restaurants right after they open. You've got to give them a little time. Your lady did not like the Nicoise? I'll bet she'd like it if I made her, er, if I made it for her..... :D