1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Restaurant prices?!?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Cooked a b1tching casserole for granny the other day, straight out of the Pedernales Cookbook. It was shockingly good the next day when I ate some:

1 roasted chicken, deboned and shredded
    1 box of long grain/wild rice, cooked
    1 cup mayo
    2 cans "french style" green beans, drained
    1 can cream of celery
    1 can water chestnuts, drained
    1 2oz hatch chili
    1 2oz pimentos
    1 onion, chopped and sweated (serrano or whatever pepper as heat is needed)
    paprika, chili powder, garlic as needed
    top it with Parmesan cheese, as much as you want

Mix all that up, and bake at 350 for 30-40 mins.

My 93 year-old grandmother likes it.

arkoe likes this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

As someone who has sponsored quite a few dates in the last year or so..eating out IS EXPENSIVE.
    20 dollar entrees are the norm now. 25 x 2, 2 apps at 10 each, dessert and bill's usually at 80-100.

Hell..go to ruggles green for a burger and you are at 15 bucks. 15 freaking bucks for a burger.

3. Buck Turgidson

When exactly did the $15 burger become the norm?

Not complaining, but it seemed to happen within the past 10 years or so.

snowconeman22 and Sajan like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Definitely happened in the last 5 years. I blame the millennial hipsters.

5. Buck Turgidson

I blame lots of **** on those youngsters. They proper ****ed Austin, and they're trying to expand Westward.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The price of labor goes up, the price of everything else goes up. People don't make 5 bucks an hour anymore.

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I eat out everyday, but don’t pay prices like that. You want a great burger? Go to Hubcap, Tookies, Stomps, Sparkle, Bernie’s.

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I'll be nice to you for once and help you out. You're welcome.

[​IMG]

kevC likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wife and I went to Pappadeaux for the first time in 3-4 years (with another couple because that's where they wanted to go). Prices were insane but we learned the trick (from the other couple) of ordering one appetizer + one entree and splitting it. We had never done that before.

Because of the prices, Pappadeaux is joke now IMO.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hopdoddy has one of the best happy hours out there.

From 3:00-6:30, you get a $5 gourmet burger, $5 queso or truffle fries and $5 signature drinks.

Also, FM Bar and grill currently has my favorite burger in town, and you can get both the burger or a grilled chicken sandwich for less than $6 a piece, and all of their sides (fries, hush puppies, tots, etc.) are under $4. And this is all the time.

Both of these are great places to take someone for a nice place to eat on a budget.

http://365thingsaustin.com/2017/02/07/hopdoddy-5-happy-hour/

http://theleadernews.com/fm-kitchen-and-bar-serves-great-burger-prices/

[​IMG]

#30 Roscoe Arbuckle, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    droxford likes this.
  11. Entropy

Entropy Member

Does that book have a good fried chicken recipe?

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's easy to find a $10 burger and fries. You also don't have to order an appetizer, dessert, and drinks when you eat out. Entrees already come oversized.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

@swyyyguy can fix you a nice burger, fries and soda for under 3 bucks. He'll even supersize your meal for free.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Only a sucker could be convinced that paying $15 for two pieces of bread and a 1/2 lbs of ground beef is normal.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  15. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Is this really normal in Houston?

I live in Florida but have vacationed to Tampa (yes, still Florida) and Atlanta recently. Usually when the gf and I go out for dinner, it's something like:

Appetizer: $8
    Entree: $12-16
    Beer: $8 for two
    Mixed drink: $8

Even a nice dinner for us is usually around $40-50. Entrees are always huge so we split an entree and appetizer. The drinks are the only thing that really jacks up the price. Hell, we went to a place people consider expensive here for seafood and the entrees were still only like $25.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You are aware that virtually every restaurant has their menu online (usually on Yelp or via user submitted pictures of their menu).

I know the price of every Avocado Toast in Brooklyn. The cheapest is about $12 and can go up to over $25.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I first noticed it in Chicago and NY and now it has filtered down to Houston and Dallas and even Atlanta.

Yes, it has been about the last 10-12 years.

The problem I have with it is that usually the burgers aren't even THAT good, in fact most are not as good as Whataburger.

The best burger I have had? It isn't from a mid or high level restaurant (although there are a few good ones in Chicago).

The best burger is from a place in Wisconsin named "Monk's Bar and Grill". The grill have been in constant use for over 100 years and you can taste the difference in the meat. The buns are made on the premises as well.

On a side note, Wisconsin has got to be one of the 5 most racist places I have been in the USA..... up there with Chicago, Columbus Ohio and Mississippi.

[​IMG]

Exiled likes this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you're not worried about impressing anyone (i.e. married), you can really save a lot of money by keeping track of all the happy hours in your area.

I'm about to go "full nerd" here, but I actually have a spreadsheet of all the restaurants in Kingwood/Humble that have happy hours/specials, what they offer and when they offer them. I'm not such a tightwad that I only eat somewhere during happy hour....but it definitely helps to be aware of all of them. I mean, if you're going to go get Mexican anyway, why not pick the place that has $1.99 beers/margaritas that particular night? Or if you're taking the kids, why not go on 'kids eat free' night?

fattz and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds pretty good. I'm always interested in a good casserole. Easy to make and leftovers make for covenient lunches at work.

Unfortunately the Mrs would sooner eat shards of glass than onions, so that severely limits the repertoire. Best I can do is just do the onions on the side and add them to my own plate after the fact.

20. droxford

droxford Member

OKay,... so... if those places can sell good food at decent prices, .... doesn't that mean that the people selling the $15 burgers and $22 chicken breasts are EXTREMELY over-inflated?)

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.