1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Resign Foster or Mario?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by chongx04, Dec 20, 2011.

?

Mario or Arian?

1. Mario

8.7%
  2. Arian

91.3%
  1. chongx04

chongx04 Member

Foster is RFA, Mario is FA...I really doubt we're paying (don't know if we actually can with salary cap etc, don't know much about NFL caps) both of them, so who do you pay?

2. Bellaire Brody

3. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

I say Arian. Brooks Reed is the man.

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I say Arian. Mario will be expensive to maintain with more miles on him while we have a bunch of good emerging young linebackers. Keep the Arian/Tate combo alive!

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Obvious answer is obvious

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

neither

wait wut

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

We can sign both by matching any offer that comes to Arian and Mario can be franchised for a year. And are you guys kidding me the defense is alot better when Mario is on the field. Brooks Reed may be doing great but if you recall the first five games when Mario was healthy he was playing great and that was also when Antonio Smith was playing at a very high level recording 4.5 sacks in the first game but since mario has gone down Smith has not recorded a sack. Mario forces a double team freeing others something Reed doesn't do. We Need Mario Back!!!

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

When the Colts had to choose between Edgerrin James and Dwight Freeney several years ago, they chose the pass rusher and replaced James in the draft with Addai. They havent had the same run production since, but Freeney carries that defense and letting go of James helped them keep other parts of that offense.

Is this analogous? Not sure - defense is playing well without Mario, offense not as good without Foster. I think because of Mario's injuries and the way the D has played, I'd lean toward franchising Mario no matter what unless his injury has driven down his price tag. But not sure how much Foster will demand - I might be inclined to let him go and draft another one-cut RB.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No, the Texans actually CAN'T franchise Mario. It would be far too expensive. Under current CBA rules, if your cap number is over $10 million, then you have to pay 120% of the player's CURRENT salary. Mario makes $18 million this year, which means that if the Texans want to franchise him, they would have to pay him $21.2 million next year. That's WAY too high to pay him. I'm guessing we sign Arian to nice deal, roll with Brooks Reed, and draft his back-up next year.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If I had to choose one, Arian.

For the poetry, of course.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

One gets tagged, one gets the big deal. The main debate here is Arian deserves the big deal but RBs at his age and relative lack of use may ask for 10+ million, and it may be a price point where management decides to let him walk, since this system has a reputation of producing 1000 yard backs.

In theory, elite pass rushing talent is much rarer, but I'm scared Mario gets tagged honestly. The other defensive players I know of that have had pec tears, return to the game and it takes more than a season to see them producing at a high level.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Arian will be about as half as expensive as Mario. Better value.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Mario isn't going to get tagged to play here. I didn't realize the new CBA changed the franchise tag. He'd get a little more than $20 million in guaranteed money if you tag him, all of hitting your cap that year. I don't mean to go all John McClain on you guys, but the Texans really might not be able to absorb a $20 million cap hit.

I believe Mario has played his last game as a Texan.

14. justtxyank

Not even close. Arian will be playing for less than a $5 million cap hit next year. So maybe 1/4 the cost of Mario?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As I stated in my earlier post, "tagging" Mario will cost us $21 million. Unless we sign him to a long-term deal, I'm fairly certain his days playing as a Texan are over.

16. Egghead

Egghead Member

sign and trade mario for a 1st and 3rd round pick

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Arian will only cost $5 million next year then it's really not a question if the Texans should sign him or not.

For Mario I would rather use that $20 million on a 2nd WR and 2nd CB.

18. justtxyank

He's a RFA so they don't have to give him a monster deal.

I've been on this train since before the season began with the caveat that I was under the impression we could easily franchise and trade him and get picks. That might not be possible now.

But for his cap number this year (16 million) let alone his franchise number (21 million) you could go get a Desean Jackson PLUS a veteran corner PLUS a veteran LB for less money. (not star CB or LB, just veteran guys)

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

While I do agree with you about the price, Mario I very Important to this defense. And all I am saying is the Texans defense would have been better with Mario right now.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good teams lose guys of Mario's caliber all of the time. Its part of the league. Its the reason why there has been a team go from last to first in their division so often. The NFL is a league of parity.

I expect we lose Mario unless A. Wade Philips goes to bat for him and assures McNair he is vital to the team or B. other teams are scared to sign him after the injury (doubtful).

You cant blame the Texans for not resigning Mario Williams. Arian Foster? That's another story. If they fail to resign him then that might be unforgivable.

What if the Titans released Chris Johnson after his poor showing then used that money to make a run at Foster in the offseason? How would that be for drama! Stealing Foster from Houston and bringing him home to Tennesse. Home to the Oilers.

Ha.

What if we could resign Williams but it would mean releasing Ryans. How would y'all feel about that? Williams over Ryans?