1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republicans Fillibuster Veterans Jobs Corps Bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This didn't get much press for some reason. Nice work Republicans. God Bless America and support the troops and blah blah blah.

Legislation to help job-seeking veterans has faltered. | Reuters
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81151.html
    By STEPHANIE GASKELL

The Veterans Job Corps bill was held up in the Senate late Wednesday night after Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) filibustered to gain support for the release of a Pakistani doctor who helped locate Osama bin Laden.

The bill, which has bi-partisan support, would create a veterans jobs training program, costing $1 billion over five years.
    Continue Reading

“A vet job bill – does that deserve a fight?” Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) asked after a Senate roll call.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) argued that his filibuster took “15 minutes” and was for a good cause – to call for the release of Shakil Afridi, the Pakistani doctor who helped the CIA find bin Laden.

Paul has promised to stall Senate action until the doctor is released from jail – something the Pakistani government has said it will not do. Paul has also called on the Obama administration to cut foreign aid to Pakistan until Afridi is released from jail.

“We’re going to do nothing to help the man who helped up get bin Laden?” Paul asked.

Paul also said the United States should stop all aid to Libya in the wake of the attacks on the U.S. consulate there that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

“I do this because I think it’s important for our allies to act like allies,” Paul said.

Reid said he disagreed, saying a vote to help veterans find jobs wasn’t the time or place to play politics.

“I think my friend from Kentucky should have run for Secretary of State rather than the Senate,” Reid said.

Republican senators were using the Veterans Job Corps Act, backed by President Barack Obama, to play party politics in an election year, Reid said repeating his often-stated assertion that Sen. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) only goal is “to defeat President Obama.”

“Everything has stopped, everything,” Reid said. “We have been able to push through a few things but not many. Couldn’t we just agree on veterans?”

Reid also noted that there have been 380 filibusters during his nearly six years as majority leader, compared to just one during former President Lyndon B. Johnson’s tenure leading the Senate from 1955 to 1961.

Earlier, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) said during debate that the bill was only being considered on the floor “so that we can say we’re doing things” and argued for further study.

“Is this about veterans, or is this about politicians? I suspect it’s about politicians and not veterans,” Coburn said.

Veterans groups said they were disappointed by the political posturing on the jobs bill.

“This is something that should be above any politics,” said Tom Tarantino, chief policy officer for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of Americans

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans are big on supporting the troops with lip service. Obviously their actions are anything but supportive.

1 person likes this.
  3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

gotta work across the aisle, dims

haven't done that

you can't just hurl excuses

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Working across the aisle...

Reid also noted that there have been 380 filibusters during his nearly six years as majority leader

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sen. McConnell: "Making Obama A One-Term President Is My Single Most Important Political Goal"

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I notice that you're hurling insults again. And we know that means according to your own statements.

In addition this response has zero to do with the Republicans blocking a bill that would Veterans of the United States military.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Any pork to this bill?

8. jocar

jocar Member

I hope all veterans take this to the voting booth.
    Remove all "party before people" chickenhawks in November.

9. jocar

jocar Member

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who cares? Just trade the veterans for draft picks. Rookie contract guys are where it is at. Are you Kevin McHale or something?

1 person likes this.
  11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I cannot rep you. I want to rep you a million times over for this post. Post of the year!

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rand Paul is such a b****. Pakistani doctors have nothing to do with this- I'm more certain he is just too afraid to Galt out on those vets.

1 person likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pathetic -- this story needs some legs.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

How many federal job training programs would this have brought the total to? Thirty? Forty?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Exactly, veterans don't deserve jobs programs cuz other people already got theirs!

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's just frustrated that Obama is spanking Romney and this is the only place he one of the few places he has left to troll. You should feel a little pity for him. C'mon. When a clutchfan is hurting, we should all support him.

I feel ya Bigtexxx. I know it must hurt. But it will be ok. Someday. Some day.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why do republicans hate america so much?

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

An even better question is...

Why do Republicans block so many policies that would help Americans?

1 person likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wait, I'm confused about what happened here...

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

SO after further reading it looks like this article is a bit misleading. It seems to blame Rand Paul for killing the bill when in fact other sources say it was Tom Coburn's filibustering that killed the bill. Is that right?