1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Trey Radel 'Profoundly Sorry'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Nov 19, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rep. Trey Radel arrested on cocaine charge

Rep. Trey Radel, R-Fla., is "profoundly sorry" after being arrested Oct. 29 and charged Tuesday in Washington, D.C., for misdemeanor cocaine possession.

"I struggle with the disease of alcoholism, and this led to an extremely irresponsible choice," Radel, who's serving his first term in the U.S. House, said in a statement Tuesday. "Believe me, I am disappointed in myself, and I stand ready to face the consequences of my actions.

Somewhat ironically, Radel is the cosponsor of H.R. 1695, Justice Safety Valve Act of 2013, which would give judges more flexibility on sentencing in cases involving mandatory minimums. He's also gone on record as citing his favorite vacation spot as Cartagena, Colombia, which as of 2004 accounted for 80 percent of the world's cocaine production.

Radel, 37, is a former television news anchor and conservative radio talk show host and represents southwest Florida. His election last year marked his first foray into politics.

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, remarked on the arrest in a statement: "Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards, and the alleged crime will be handled by the courts. Beyond that, this is between Rep. Radel, his family, and his constituents."

link

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I am profoundly sorry....I got caught.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Meh. The guy likes cocaine. If I agreed with his politics, I'd vote for him regardless of his alcoholism or cocaine use.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

He's also a hypocrite that voted a month before he was busted for mandatory drug testing for people receiving unemployment benefits.

Perhaps it's the congressmen we should be worried about instead of some poor schmuck looking for a job?

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "No big deal. He's cool in my book."

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Mandatory drug testing for congress. Period. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

You'd think a politician would avoid using the "I am a drunk and that's why I did coke/crack" excuse after the Toronto fiasco.

How a politician (or anyone) could be so stupid as to purchase cocaine from an undercover cop is beyond me.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I never said I agreed with his politics. Of course, if he decided to come out against the War on Drugs because of this, I'd probably support him in that regard. But to be a coke-head pushing for mandatory drug tests for those on unemployment is not a position I can support.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

What pisses me off is that the guy got a year of probation and a $250 fine. Meanwhile if you're poor and black, the odds of getting a sentence that low are basically zero.

#9 geeimsobored, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, remarked on the arrest in a statement: "Members of Congress should be held to the highest standards,

That would be a good start.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But then he immediately said this was ultimately between the rep and his family and his constituents, backing away as quickly as he could from this smelly turd of a dude.

12. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Do you just throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks....you have no evidence to support his claim...smh

13. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Marion Barry says hello..Furthermore he kept get getting elected Mayor I wonder why?! lol smh

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nope, can't look for new ways to negate a federal election.