1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reports: Donaghy bet on more than 100 games he worked

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rn_xw, May 17, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

edit:

#21 pgabriel, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the steroids story only became big when the hated bonds man was about to break the home run record

the patriots are the best team of this decade, of course its a story if they were supposedly cheating. this was a big story when it happened. this latest information is only an update

edit: this is one ref, the steroid issue is much bigger in scope

#22 pgabriel, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not arguing the steroid story isn't bigger in scope. But there's something that strikes more at the intergrity of a game to me when refs are calling games with an absolute money bias as opposed to when players or teams are using every advantage they can to win.

I'm just surprised this isn't getting more attention.

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Stern is part of the Mafia

5. conquistador#11

He provided picks, which means that he knew which refs had agendas against certain teams.

We must interrogate donaghy, and find out why the rockets are never officiated equally. :mad:

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I hope they find out he was on steroids the whole time.

8. MadMax

crickets chirping.

i don't get it.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3404607

Damn.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe because the NBA is about way less popular than the NFL.

11. MadMax

Yeah...but it's popular enough for this to be a bigger issue I think. Admittedly, I didn't see the news or ESPN last night to know how they reacted to Donaghy's claims from yesterday.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's one way to look at it -- the other is that the person cheating in the NBA was fired and up on criminal charges ... the one cheating in the NFL wasn't even punished and coached in the Super Bowl a few months later.

I also remember the ref scandal being pretty big news when it came out. If more comes out -- evidence linking others (rather than an attorney defending his client with wild allegations) -- this will blow up again.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not a big ongoing media story because, there's nothing really new, it's over and done with and there's no real villain like Belichik or Roger Clemens to focus attentiona on - just an unknown small time gambler who was mixed up with small tiime bookies - most of whom have already been legally dealt with. Other than writing the same story about Donaghy that was written 500 times last year, there's not a lot more to say.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rasheed telling a ref "I ain't scared of y'all.":

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVhGdeASB-o&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yVhGdeASB-o&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

15. MadMax

maybe so.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is anyone else appalled by this part of it?

I mean, we all thought some refs were better / worse for the Rockets (for instance), but to the level that professional gamblers bank on it giving them an advantage vs the line...and a ref believing it as well.

This is a whole nother issue for Stern to deal with. Betting is one part, but now he has proof that his refs are biased in their officiating enough for gamblers to use that info.

Does anyone think that the NFL or MLB has biased reffing on that level? Is it because NBA refs are so close to the players on the court, that they learn to favor / dislike certain players.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Stern was looking pretty nervous on TV last night. I can only imagine what skeletons he is trying desperately to keep in the closet but I'll bet my paycheck (not really) that this goes deeper than we are being told.

I guess I'm a bad person but I hope the truth comes out and the good Dictator is forced to step down in disgrace. Shortly after, I want JVG to step up and say "see? I told you all this in the 04-05 playoffs but the Emperor put the gag order on me."

18. heypartner

what?

That article proves there is bias in NBA officiating enough for Donaghy to sell that info on who will be officiating games. that wasn't reported before. not that i remember.

19. MadMax

This is what I'm saying, really. The mere allegation of that doesn't seem to be attracting attention...or any real substantive attention. Which makes Sam's point originally perhaps appear to be stronger...that the NBA just isn't being covered the way the NFL is, period...whether good or bad news.

The mere allegations in football and baseball spawned threads here that lasted for weeks and media coverage like crazy. This went relatively unnoticed here yesterday. I haven't seen how ESPN is covering it so far...but we have a referee indicating there's a lot more to this than that he merely bet on 100 games. He may absolutely be lying and it wouldn't surprise me at all....but I'm just surprised it's not getting more play.

20. heypartner

MadMax,

in short, Donaghy risked his entire career and public life, because he believed officiating crew info adds value in betting. And insider is saying his colleagues are biased.

to me, that just blows this story wide open.