1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reports: Donaghy bet on more than 100 games he worked

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rn_xw, May 17, 2008.

1. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy bet on more than 100 games that he worked, federal prosecutors said in a court filing Friday, according to media reports.

Donaghy pleaded guilty last year to charges he conspired to engage in wire fraud and transmitted betting information through interstate commerce. He was alleged to have given a pair of gamblers inside information, including tips on which crews would officiate games and how the various officials and players interacted, and collected $5,000 if his picks were correct.

According to court filings, Donaghy bet on about 30 games each season starting in 2003 and 14 games during the 2006-2007 season, the New York Post reported.

Donaghy, who started placing bets on NBA games in 2003, is now scheduled to be sentenced on July 14.

"The government's investigation revealed that Donaghy provided picks for anywhere from 30 to 40 games for each of those three seasons," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Goldberg said in a letter filed Friday at U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, according to the New York Daily News.

Two other men who were high school classmates with Donaghy, James Battista and Thomas Martino, have pleaded guilty to their role in the scheme.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3400551

funny is the clip they show on canadian TV is a game that rockets played in, and JVG was arguing with Donaghy.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

WOW... Any Rockets games?

3. Crush

Crush Rookie

Although the venue of entertainment may seem trivial, the value of money and time is staggering, and the punishment should be like mob hits.

4. Crush

Crush Rookie

Money, time, lives.

Go back to barbaric roots, fit the bill to the crime, out intimidate the actual mob threats of punishment in order to force compliance.

-OR-, alternatively, the NBA could implement an official instant replay system to double check calls and supposed non calls. People stop the game for all sorts of reasons already. Why not make it fair, draw in fans, and avoid this mess?

5. Crush

Crush Rookie

AND fight crime. AMAZING!!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

More than 100 games...wow. Are we minimizing the impact of this?? What it meant to the integrity of the league?? I'm assuming they're investigating to make sure he's not the only one....but I'm less than thrilled it got to this level.

7. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Shhhhh! Just keep moving people. Nothing here to see. Come on now, hey you buddy! No photos. Go back to sleep. This was just one ref acting alone. No conspiracy here, no groups of refs who were biased against certain players and coaches (well maybe they did mention that in Donaghy's acitivities) but just watch the shiny metal ball swinging, swinging, you're getting sleepy, you're asleep. Good, now when you wake up you remember nothing except the NBA is clean, solid American entertainment......zzzzzzzz

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I wonder how many of those he won... probably lost a whole lot of them.

9. Asian Sensation

I wonder how many of those Barkley wagered on. 4? 34?? ???

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I hope he bet on the Knicks every single time. Dope.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well 100 games certainly is a lot. in 3.5 years there would be about 4200 regular season games so he would've been in on around 2.5% of all the games. that's pretty significant. on the other hand, nothing says he even reffed the games he bet on (edit: except the first sentence of the article). going by the above article (and some other articles) he could simply feed them info on who was reffing a certain game. as in refs x, y, and z are doing this game and they call lots of fouls so take the over. or ref x hates this team, so take the other team. donaghy didn't necessarily affect anything or have anything to do with the outcome of a game. if it weren't for the public relations angle, the gambling industry would probably have more to be mad about than the nba.

#11 francis 4 prez, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

except for the part where it does say that:

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy bet on more than 100 games that he worked

13. MadMax

:D yeah, i was gonna point that out.

14. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:D :D

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i know, i know, i'm an idiot (nothing new).

i just heard them say that on nba fastbreak and realized i was stupid.

to be fair, it was hidden all the way down in the first sentence. :D

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem. Good for you. But drop the excuses, which are a step backwards.

Seriously, the NBA is hoping ESPN doesn't harp on this the rest of the playoffs. There is so much (justifiable) chatter about refereeing that it's disturbing.

17. MadMax

Can you imagine if this were baseball umpires or NFL referees? I think the outcry would be far bigger. In the NFL we have a guy who might have taped some signals to give his team an advantage, and Congress is interested. We had Congressional hearings over whether ONE PLAYER used performance enhancing drugs to give himself an advantage in MLB. Those guys were trying to get over to win.

But this is a referee betting on games HE WAS OFFICIATING!! Over 100 of them. I would argue that strikes far deeper to the core of the integrity of each game you watch than anything short of the coaches betting on their own teams to lose and taking a dive. And there seems to be very little attention paid to this. This is not dominating ESPN...I've seen next to nothing of it. Stern told us the problem was contained....but I think he greatly underestimated its scope. And if even one other referee is doing this, then you're talking about a lot of contests affected.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it was a big story

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Quick, somebody find how many Rocket games did Tim D ref.

20. MadMax

Where?? Big in that it was reported, perhaps...but not big relative to how the media is running with the Patriots taping coaches thing. We're not cutting time away from ordinary programming to dissect this story. And this story dropped like a rock the other day, and I haven't heard anything about it since, outside of this forum. And it has a grand total of one thread that's about a page long. On an NBA-centered forum.