1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter to McHale: It looks like Jeremy Lin is not involved much in the offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 14, 2012.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Lin was originally cut from the Rockets for a reason. We are now seeing that reason again. #moreyfail

2. conquistador#11

not really a mauryfail. Kind of obvious that Lexx wanted lin. DM told the story of Lex calling him asking how lin got away. Lex was blinded by linsanity.

I wanted gogi but now lin is a rocket. why would I want that to be a fail? Why would any rocket fan want lin to fail?
    I'm hoping lin will rise to the challenge.

3. yaominginfohere

I like McHale's answer. it funny.

But there weren't many pick-n-roll plays designed for the point guard (Lin). This is where Lin excels. They ran the pick-n-roll nearly every possession in NYK, and that team thrived on it. I haven't seen much of it in practice or in preseason.

The pick-n-roll is one of the basic basketball plays ... it's unstoppable with a smart point guard, gotta use it more.

4. yaominginfohere

Also, when they did run the pick-n-roll... the Houston bigs don't screen as well as Tyson Chandler. He is like a wall.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Omer Asik sets really good screen's.

6. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Corners

If you watched his plays before in GSW and NYK, the two corners are his best 3 point positions. The difference here is once he passed the ball away in the three preseason games, the ball almost never came back to him.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

There is absolutely no pressure this year. No one expects this team to do much of anything nor do they know anyone on team other than Lin. As opposed to say his team last year that had realistic hopes of making the playoffs and dreams of being a single trade/move sort of contender status, it would definitely make someone much more laid back to answer question.

Also add in the fact that he got a full off season and pre-season with the team and with assistant coaches and staff who know their roles having been on the team for a year as well as a bit more of a drawn out schedule compared to last year, and he will definitely seem more laid back than last year.

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

But why are you so quick to judge Lin? And clearly you didn't watch any of his games. If you saw all of it, it would be extremely hard and biased to say it was a fluke, again and again and again and again.

I just want to know why the hate is SOO strong against Lin. Do people not want to see an underdog do well? Does it have to do with race. Why is there so much hate. What did he do? Did he give conceited interviews? Does he not work hard?

9. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

True. I'm concerned that mchales system doesn't maximize lin's strengths.

10. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

You'll learn quick that SacTown is a troll that posts inflammatory things to incite discord.

People on this board are "quick to judge Lin" because there has been such an influx of new posters that seems to put Mr. Lin's success above the Rockets'. Nobody here wants to see a new thread started because the Dixie High School Newspaper did a spotlight about him and we sure as hell don't think that any player, Lin included, is more important than the Rockets as a collection. This is especially true in Moreyvile;)

Don't take it personally, it's happened here before. There have been Francis, Yao, Mcgrady, and even Moochie only fans. They still bother people around here. We cheer for the Rockets.

That said, don't pull out the race card.

1 person likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. trolltown setting traps for the newbs.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

The reporter asking McHale why Lin was not involved with the offense is an example of someone who doesn't really care about the game or know much about it.

I'm sure in the inside McHale is thinking, I can't believe I have to explain to this guy what a point guard does.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This man dishes out the truth!

14. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

You can be Derek Fisher bring up the ball, and giving it to Kobe and clear his way to the other end of the court, type of involvement.
    Or
    You can be Deron bringing up the ball and they have set plays to not only high pick and roll, once, or twice, but three times if the first 2 fails, type of involvement. :grin:

15. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

This is true but it is pretty clear that Lin is closer to the latter. He just had a horrendous game. Thats all there was to it.

16. pnr

pnr Member

I'm worried McHale called those plays. Or maybe Lin was just taking it easy in a preseason game. It was weird watching him dribble to the 3 point line and pass it off to Asik of all people? I feel like his knee is really holding him back. If he was in pre-surgery form he woulda used the Asik pick to drive.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

what the Reporter really meant was:

I didn't watch the game but I noticed that Lin didn't score much, is this your fault McHale?

18. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

Nah, I don't think you understand chinese. Let me translate. He said, why wasn't my boy ballin? You got to set screen after screen after screen and after screen until he is open. In 24 seconds shot clock, you can set at least 10 picks. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I believe he was speaking english. Did you not watch the clip?

20. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

Oopps, I had my SAP in Spanish here in Houston. I couldn't tell. :grin: