1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter Killed Live on Air

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by youknowme, Aug 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cranberry_Juice

Is this guy a product of the "self entitled, no fault of my own,uninformed activist,faux outrage instigator,critical mass loving,like my post, #me,Cecil humping" generation that is #ussyfying America? IF so, how many more of these jackholes have to popup before we start banning twitter,facebook,skinny jeans, and bike only lanes?

2. VanityHalfBlack

We shoot them!:p

1 person likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Mate (obviously I'm Aussie), I GET that you guys have a different 'culture' of guns. But the sad truth is that it sux.

We had horrific incidents involving guns, and we had a leader who had the balls to take a stand. People got paid to give their guns in. And look at the results 25 years later - apparently we are world leaders when it comes to lack of death from guns.

Yeah, we still have some idiots in our country. Yeah, we had a horrible gun incident within the last 12 months in our biggest cities CBD - but even in that horrible incident, one can fairly argue that the gun laws reduced what could have been an awful toll.

And here is the saddest thing, the mental idiots from the NRA (I realize I'm offending some people - but the stats don't lie) THIS YEAR came out and told us Aussies that our gun laws are a mistake.
    Fail.
    Epic fail.

Again, we have mentally disturbed people in our country, just like in any other. We have trouble makers, bikie gangs, drug problems, etc. But changing the gun law in no way made death by firearms worse, it improved things out of sight.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cranberry_Juice

Out of all the countries that should have guns, it should be Australia. Every animal designed to kill human beings reside there. #Aussielivesmatter

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'm with you DrNuegebauer. I am also Australian, although have lived in North America for 13 years, so I know a thing or two about the gun culture here.

By any measure, gun control worked in Australia.

I'm just tired and jaded by the arguments against gun control. Of course mental health is probably the root cause of a lot of shootings, but the simple fact remains: mental health issue + easy access to guns has much bigger consequence than mental health issue with without easy access to guns.

1 person likes this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

Black/White. We gotta band together man.

7. cebu

cebu Member

Was there any civil war in Australia/

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think isolation in modern city living plus increased population density is reinforcing mental illness and existential questions on each person's self worth and meaning.

Banning guns or increasing funding in mental health treatment won't solve this problem. We should try anyways to reduce it, and at the very least strive to be better human beings. Ultimately, it'll be about changing our culture and the things we genuinely value.

For the most part though, breathe and relax. Things are still better than most other countries out there.

Know how to keep our country from going to ****? Start caring and stop focusing on your own priorities. Making a difference is hard, and it takes time and patience. Doesn't mean it can't happen or is impossible.

I disagree. Most Americans have to drive. Even if they're afraid, if they have no realistic options, being forced to drive daily is like exposure therapy.

OTOH, not a lot of Americans are forced to fly in their jobs. The majority have an option to fly as a luxury, so the priorities aren't that high enough to be forced to confront that fear.

#348 Invisible Fan, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

We don't need no Civil War - it feeds the rich and it buries the PO-OOORRRR.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No one should be focussing on the gun. The guy could have walked up with a knife and slit their throats. The gun, in this case, is an irrelevant variable.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Oh really?

I think the chances of escaping/self defence from a guy approaching with a knife are far higher than a guy pulling out a gun.

There is a reason that they say 'don't bring a knife to a gunfight'

13. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

You have a good point. This isn't exactly the elementary school case where several people died because of guns. This guy easily could have came behind the cameraman and slit his throat and very easily could kill 2 women after that.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

How are there so many Aussies on this board?

15. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

You underestimate the element of surprise and if he takes out the only man there first like in my post above.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why, because he watched The Raid 2? Because he studied the techniques of hammer girl or something?

LOL @ our well-meaning Australian friends trying to talk sense to our insane country. Crying/laughing.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She's actually compartmentalizing a lot of personal duress to do her job and public duty to refrain from misreporting facts without sources or corroboration. She's probably in a lot more pain and grief now and her actions then witnessing the death of a friend and colleague were a lot more commendable and meaningful than your self-righteous indignation.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Another narcissist...

19. Major

Major Member

But these people DON'T do that. They choose guns because it's easier to inflict the harm they want to do. The more work that is required to do something, the less likely people are to do it. It's basic common sense. It's the same reason people use guns instead of bombs in most of these school attacks, despite bombs inflicting much more damage - guns are *easier* to get, so why go through the trouble of assembling a bomb?.

20. cebu

cebu Member

[​IMG]