1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter expelled from public university 'Black Lives' event for not being of 'African descent'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BDswangHTX, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Arbitrarily decalring racial exclusivity at an event appealing for long-term tolerance is starkly counter-intuitive.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point was that if he was from South Africa he'd be of African descent so the racist ******* would have to flat out say what he really meant, "No white folks allowed"

3. Remii

Remii Member

No he wouldn't... Lol...

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

That's Hispanic community. I'm not upset at all at all living my early life there. The neighbors were warm, caring, funny, fun and deeply religious. My parents moved only for one reason -- to get my sister and me into a better school system.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he would.

Descent
    de·scent
    dəˈsent/
    noun

The origin or background of a person in terms of family or nationality

If your family is from South Africa, and you were born and raised there, you are an African.....much more so in fact than people who call themselves "African American" that are 6th or 7th generation Americans. In some sense literally everyone is of African descent if you want to go far enough back in their ancestry.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

7. Remii

Remii Member

That's what I said.

Sounded like you were complaining about having to be "lost amongst hispanics." I'm glad it worked out well for your parents.

Most/many white folks in South Africa will tell you they are of European descent. Many of them also refer to themselves as Anglo-Africans or Afrikaners and don't identify themselves as Africans.

As far as "African American" _ that's some stuff Jessie and his crew came up with and people ran with it. And you won't find any of my post using that term.

I just find it baffling that white folks waste their time wondering about what black folks are doing. Why do you care...?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What "many white folks in South Africa will tell you" is irrelevant since it doesn't change anything.

Getting back to the story at hand, it was an example of a racist organization making public displays of racism...that's why it's a story. It informs people that might not otherwise realize that the "Movement for Black Lives" is in fact a racist organization so that they won't mistakenly help fund them.

I mean, if you didn't know any better, you'd think that a group with a name like that might be a good thing.

9. thumbs

Hispanics should be capitalized as in the case of Caucasians, Africans, Asians, etc. Peoples can be white, black, brown, etc. according to skin color. Origins, however, are capitalized.

Now, after review, I can see how you could see that the term "lost" could be misconstrued, albeit through some strain. My parents simply wanted a normal life, which was not as easy in North Texas as it was in San Antonio, where the cultures were more closely meshed.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So instead of hearing their grievance, we'll just call them racist and move on.

I mean they must be, this incident proves it. Meanwhile every week seemingly there is a story of police brutality against black people, but it doesn't prove a thing. We've even had a Baltimore officer discuss about what he thought was wrong with policing...yet every time a certain group among us plays these off as isolated incidents.

Cause and effect is just completely lost on some people.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In this instance, yeah. If a white group was having a public meeting and stopped everything because they spotted a minority reporter and wanted them kicked out because they were having a "whites only meeting".....I don't think we'd "hear their grievance", we'd rightfully write them off as racist and move on. This group is no different.

There is no comparison between incidents involving police shootings and this group forcing people to the back of the bus based on skin color.

12. thumbs

More people would have listened to their grievances had they themselves not changed the whole focus of the gathering by tossing out a reporter just because he is white.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I still think it would have been funny

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when one of your grievances is that there is someone of a different race present at your public meetings....the rest of your grievances are irrelevant.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well you should. Everyone knows why organizations like the KKK exist, it's important to know the why isn't it? When Dylan Roof killed those people it was important to know the why of it as well.

One thing to remember is where Black Lives Matters comes from . It stemmed from twitter and tumblr posts from just everyday users who would rant or make points and used that hashtag. As such, anyone that claims to be part of #Blacklivesmatters is a part of it. It's more of a 'Movement' then some organization with a hierarchy. Now it is moving to the more physical world.

Also, the reason I bring up the police shootings is because that is the very reason the hashtag was created. It was the entire reason the hashtag spread.

Were there any white people at the conference at all? Are there any other videos of it somewhere online? I ask sincerely because it would help determine why they were hostile to this guy. This was posted to a conservative site and as such they could have been this way towards him because they simply didn't trust that he'd convey their message. I mean it's very hard to believe the guy is even an amateur reporter with that footage any ways.

Again though, it's not that people are writing this off as racist, perhaps it is...but that this one incident means that the entire thing nationwide is now racist because of this one incident.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see a distinction between the KKK and the "Movement for Black Lives", they are both racist organizations and I don't really care "why" those people decided to form a racist organization. I don't really think there is an excuse for it.

17. amaru

amaru Member

As a person who has had family members lynched by the KKK, I find this extremely offensive.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

......Well there are many distinctions to the KKK and #Blacklivesmatter...but you ignored the rest of my post it seems.

As for it being racist, since you are going to take that one video and apply it nationwide to call it a racist organization, here are some pictures for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So again, before saying that #Blacklivesmatter is a racist organization no different from the KKK...Understand both of them.

One is a group that was established to uphold the idea that white people are superior, to terrorize the black community by any means...among other things.

Another is a hashtag that has spread beyond Twitter...

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree completely. They should welcome people and be inclusive to their movement.

That said, comparing them with the KKK is just beyond ridiculous and stupid.

20. Remii

Remii Member

If you find a white South African who identifies themselves as African _ congratulations.

And the KKK and other supremacist groups get funded and they have a history of killing people. A small black group kicks a white guy out of their meeting and you start complaining.... Go figure.

Do you know how many black folks were being murdered in north Texas during that time...??? Most black folks who have family roots in Texas can tell you horror stories that their elders told them and or had family members who were murdered. But yet you have a cute story about your parents not being able to get an apartment because of their biracial relationship... Was it your father who was South American...?