1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reporter asks Draymond Green if the floods had an impact on the game (UPDATE: Reporter fired)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Apr 24, 2016.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He was trying to ask if there was any coincidence to losing on days that floods occurred..

It was like watching Stephen Hawking trying to jump a fence tho...

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That would make sense...but it wouldnt be classless, which is my point...dumb question, sure, total waste, but it wasnt what Draymond guessed he was asking.

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea the guy was just going off on a tangent, it wasn't malicious

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

he asked him before apparently.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Reporter : So Draymond, it seems like you sometimes win and sometimes lose on days that end in the letter "y". Do you think that's coincidence?

Draymond : ...

The only thing I really ever think about when I see Draymond Green is that one year when Chandler Parsons called him some irrelevant trash-talking rookie. Kind of makes you cry inside now.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

And judging by this guy's delivery, he probably babbled off that one too:grin:

7. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

That Chinese journalist sucks. Les loves his china market.LOL

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It wouldn't surprise me if he cited that as his driving force to stardom..seems like everything we do or say motivates him to another level

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why sometimes I feel there is too much media availability. Do we really need so many post game, pre-game and in game interviews by so many different reporters?

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The reporter who continued to ask Draymond Green questions about the Houston floods was fired about 1 hour after the Game 4 press conference</p>&mdash; Henry Wofford (@HenryWoffordCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/HenryWoffordCSN/status/725087536645853186">April 26, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

12. BackdoorHarden

Draymond is a racist!! He got Ho Chen fired, again!!

Ho Chen, whose questions about the Tax Day Houston floods went viral and angered Golden State Warriors star Draymond Green reportedly has been fired.

Henry Wofford, the Warriors reporter for CSN Bay Area, tweeted Tuesday that the reporter, Ho Chen, who apparently is based in Houston, was relieved of his duties an hour after the infamous news conference following Golden State's Game 4 victory Sunday afternoon at Toyota Center.

He's a 1st year reporter, born and raised in China. He was working for a Chinese publication, but based in Houston. Fired after Game 4 after he was fired from CSN Houston.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

The sad thing is, I don't think he was trying to be controversial or get a rise out of Draymond. I think he legitimately believes that the floods caused problems in the game. Lol maybe not a guy that knows a whole lot about the game of basketball.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I should say something here. I was sitting a few seats over from this guy, a couple rows back.

The moment he said he had an "interesting question", me and a couple others looked at each other in kind of disbelief.

I've seen this reporter run into issues throughout the year. It's not my place to write about those, but he's not malicious... just oblivious. In fact, he's a very, very nice guy. I just don't think he understands the proper procedures, culture, work environment, etc. and the language was an issue for him as well. For example, one time in a group interview, he asked me to hold his camera for him so he could get in the shot and ask questions (never mind that I was trying to film the interview as well for ClutchFans).

The question was so awkward, but the response by Draymond was so heavy-handed. I was cringing the entire time. I said it immediately afterwards to the person next to me -- Draymond overreacted. The guy was not mocking the flood or the crisis, though it was a ridiculous question to try to get to (he never got to one) all the same.

One other thing -- I don't think this was in the video that went viral, but the reporter apologized to Draymond as soon as he was done blasting him. Simply said, "I am sorry." Feel bad all around on this one.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I do feel bad for him, though it seems like it was not the best role for him and maybe coming anyway

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Appreciate the details, Clutch. But it's obvious that this is not the right line of work for him.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

was Draymond making up the stuff about being asked previously?

Yea he didn't seem malicious, just a poor command of the language.

18. i3artow i3aller

Definitely feel bad for the poor guy, but take solace in that ESPN will pick him up off waivers.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Would be awesome if he replaces Skip Bayless on First Take

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

It's hard to know how to feel about this myself as an Asian American. I hear this guys question and I know it's not malicious. It's definitely a cultural difference. The line of questions and rationale behind it wouldn't seem inappropriate at all in Asia. Every time I'm overseas or around my family I hear comments and see things that make me go "really?? Did you actually just say/do that?!?"

It's obviously offensive in our context but clearly not for the fan base he's reporting for. But as someone else has mentioned, not the line of work for him if he's going to have to interface with people in this culture.