1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Warriors' Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Only old players sign for discounts. Ariza came here for one reason and one reason alone, money. Washington weren't willing to go up to the $10m that his agent said was needed to match the cost of living and tax advantages. When you're in that 30+ bracket, 5th year max has a special ring to it also.

2. i3artow i3aller

Pasrons & Gordo are already Max Men.
    Fegan wants to Max out Rubio.
    Now Klay's a Max Man too?
    What the deuce?!
    Ahh, forget it.
    Max extension money for errrbody!

You've got a real type of thing going down, gettin' down!
    There's a whole lot of rhythm going round!
    Ow, we want the Max!
    Give up the Max!!
    Ow, we need the Max!!!
    We gotta have that Max!!!!
    [​IMG]

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think he could. The Thunder don't get by the Spurs with Heyward instead of Harden. Harden owns the Spurs.

4. spysta

spysta Member

This is bad for the NBA, I dont remember any other time when a bunch of ok - good players felt entitled to max dollars.

Seriously, Klay plays really good defense and he is a good shooter from the arc, so I say he is above average but he isn't a star in this league.

Without the elite Curry you wouldnt have even heard of Klay Thompson he would be a role player on a bad team.

5. Asian Sensation

I don't understand all the complaints. This should be good news for us.

6. Aleron

Players always want max contracts, the issue seems to be that teams are actually giving it to them.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

At this point, why would Minnesota want to even touch that? That trade would basically give Golden State an out of that horrendous contract if/when Klay ever does get his money.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I guess they'll learn the Utah and Houston way. :p

Ain't gonna give it to me now, I'll get it later!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: With deadline looming,contract talks with no max offer between Klay Thompson &amp; Warriors causing frustration. <a href="http://t.co/bRdszq4saI">http://t.co/bRdszq4saI</a></p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/526126048635662336">October 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They got money, go get it big dawg

Paying Kerr that crazy ass contract

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This makes no sense from the Warriors.

They thought Thompson was better than Love (unwilling to part with him in a trade for Love), and Love got a max salary. You better expect to pay him one too.

They are lucky they got Curry currently at a discount because of his injury problems, but if they want to claim Thompson isn't worth giving up for Love, they better be ready to pay him.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why pay him a max until you absolutely have to? They're just doing what Phoenix did to Bledsoe and letting the market determine his value. I'm sure they know Thompson will get a max offer sheet, but a lot of people though Bledsoe would get one as well.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Warriors are just being stupid. Everyone knows they will give him the max. There is no reason to antagonize the guy and prolong the inevitable.

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

The Warriors didn't think it was worth giving up David Lee and Thompson for Love. I'm pretty sure they would have traded Thompson straight up for Love if the TWolves would have done that. The Warriors did reject a straight up trade that Thunder offered them to take Harden for Thompson because they didn't want to pay a sixth man who plays no defense a max salary.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The Warriors have the best chance outside the Spurs/Cavs/OKC/Clips of winning a championship. That squad thrives on chemistry and camaraderie. If you are going to pay him anyway, why play hard ball and risk leaving a bad taste in Klay's mouth?

Phoenix had one year of Bledsoe (- injury time) and realistically could think of passing on him. GSW has no such luxury with Klay Thompson.

15. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

The MAX he can make as a RFA is less than the max the warriors are expected to offer now. Therefore, they are saving money by taking this stance.

You're welcome.

16. Aleron

but you can get options and trade kickers if you go through rfa

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is very true. I agree with you. I was looking at it strictly from a business perspective, but it does run the risk of alienating him.

18. Aleron

That was just Golden State leaking to save face after Minnesota killed off talks to deal with the guys with the #1 pick (Minnesota were waiting for Lebron from the moment Cleveland won the draft lottery, May 20), they might have budged for Lee, Thompson, Barnes and their 2017 pick, but the rest was bull****, which is why them not wanting to pay Thompson isn't as surprising as it seems.

#98 Aleron, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  19. Raven

Raven Member

You mean like Lin's contract? These are all bad deals done by teams desperate to keep/add talent because free agents aren't giving them the time of day. And you're right, Parsons contract was probably not well received by a lot of teams around the league.

20. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Klay is a young top 3 sg. I don't think they mind the trade kicker or the options. Now if I was his agent, I would threaten with your points.

With lee, bogut, Iggy, plus new deals coming for klay, green and eventually curry, gsw will have a high payroll. Don't forget Livingston too.