1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Warriors' Klay Thompson looking for a max extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 20, 2014.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

LOL These delusional idiots and their max contracts.

2. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He is not worth no where near 50 million.

3. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Cuban will pick that up in a heartbeat.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There are plenty of idiots in the NBA

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He would of if he didn't sign for peanuts 2years ago. He was always hurt though.

6. Entropy

Entropy Member

Hayward is a star. He does it on both ends of the court, can finish, can create, can defend. It's not surprising they matched his offer. Parsons on the other hand is lackluster defensively now, and he got helped by having Harden and Howard doing most of the work. Hayward had to put the jazz on his own back.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Warriors fabricate and leak this message just before trading him... just to make it go down better with the fans.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I know, the NBA has to do something about these delusional players asking for max contracts.

9. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Parsons didn't get anywhere near max. A max for him would've been $63M guaranteed over 4 years, with a salary that starts at $15.8M. Parsons received $46M guaranteed over 3 years, with a salary stat starts at $14.7M.

Big difference between $63M guaranteed and $46M guaranteed.

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

If there are teams willing to play max contracts for below all star level players , I don't blame for Player X and his crew , Wife , Gf's , Butlers , asking fox max $ .

11. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Agree. People underestimate this guy. I'm not a fan of him and don't think he deserved a Max, but if he got it I'm not one to complain. Parsons on the other hand is an 8mill player at max. Way to streaky and no D. Good ballhandler and slasher though, for a team on the decline a Max is a risk or bust that's affordable . Now Thompson I wouldn't pay over 8 even if he claims to leave. Let another Gm make that mistake.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Incorrect.

The max starting salary that Chandler Parsons could have possibly signed for under the CBA was $14,746,000.

His starting salary was $14,700,000. Essentially, that's a max contract.

Also, the reason he signed for three years (with a player option after Year 2) and not four was to be in a position to make EVEN MORE money when the salary cap skyrockets in the next few years.

In fact, I'd say that Parsons deal is LESS team-friendly that Hayward's straight-up four-year max deal. (Hence, why the Rockets elected not to match it.)

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I actually think Klay Thompson is the best SG in the NBA. Granted, the league is limited at the SG position right now...but comparing Harden and Thompson as the top 2 currently, I'd go with Thompson due to his defense. Klay is a tremendous defender and is also one of the best shooters in the NBA. He doesn't get as many touches because he plays alongside Curry, but if he were the main option, he'd put up much bigger offensive numbers.

14. slestack11

slestack11 Member

If you look at last season, the Rockets really struggled when Parsons missed games...more so than when Harden or Dwight was out. I think Parsons is one of those extremely valuable glue guys both in the locker room and on the court. That said, the Rockets got another good glue guy in Ariza to backfill.

15. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Agree, the glue is replaceable, and we did it at the right price. Max contract is not the right price for glue (unless we got Bosh, of course). Parsons was my favorite player for a few years and it hurt to see him go. Glad to see the Mavs are the ones stuck with that horrific contract though. Morey did the right thing. It's been discussed to death, but we're paying someone with similar offensive skill set, and a waaaaay better defensive skill set half the price of what the Mavs paid Chan. And for them I truly think it was just to get back at Morey. Hope it was worth it for ya, Mark.

16. NotChandlerParsons

He doesn't get many touches because he can't reliably put the ball on the floor, unlike Harden or many other SGs.

17. slestack11

slestack11 Member

That said, he makes for a better SG because he moves without the ball much better than guys like Harden and Monte Ellis. Harden may as well be classified as a point guard because he dominates the ball. If he were a true SG, he would be able to find his way around screens and allow the point guard to do his job. Watch Harden when he doesn't have the ball...he just stands around pouting until he gets it back. He is not just lazy on defense, but also when he does not have the ball on offense.

Another SG to watch is Bradley Beal who I think will improve a lot this season. Wizards should lock him up longterm as soon as they can.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mark, along with most of the media, never guessed we wouldn't match. His "hit Morey in the Gut" trade kicker has seemed to boomerang. Poor Mark.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So, I guess Kobe and Jordan are "point guards" now?

20. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Kobe allowed Fisher to play point guard and find him off screens for mid-range jumpers. Kobe lived off of the mid-range jump shot which is his bread and butter and probably all he has left at his age. MJ did end up playing point for a while one season, but still was able to play off the ball with Paxon as well as BJ Armstrong. Both Kobe and MJ did go into ISO but that's only during crunch time moments and not every play of the game.

What made Kobe and MJ great all time shooting guards in my opinion is not their offense though...it's that they both were tremendous defenders as well and took responsibility to shutdown the best offensive player on the other team. That was what got them through playoffs even though it's their offense that was the focus of the highlight reels. Ray Allen is probably a better shooting guard off the ball than both Kobe and MJ, but he is not the defender either of the two were and obviously can't create his own shot like Kobe and MJ.

Klay is more like a Ray Allen type shooting guard on offense, but his defense is what makes him extremely valuable especially in the playoffs. Harden isn't just an average defender, he's a terrible defender and should not even be considered in the same league until he works on that part of his game. The Blazers ran plays to Wes Matthews because that's who Harden was guarding should be embarrasing to him. Klay Thompson on the other hand took it as his responsiblity to guard CP3, Redick, and even Blake Griffin on occasion in their playoff matchup with Clippers. Harden is definitely better at creating his own shot as well as flopping which helps improve his efficiency numbers. But in the playoffs, they didn't call the normal flop fouls Harden got in the regular season which hurt his effectiveness. Anyway, to sum up all my babbling, I think Harden is a slightly better offensive player than Klay Thompson, but it's day and night on the defensive end in favor of Thompson.