1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Unexpected NBA team will fire coach within next couple days

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KelvinCato13, May 28, 2015.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Definitely makes sense, but is it "unexpected"? Ujiri left the door open to firing Casey. He did not say he would return next season.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling it is going to be Doc Rivers. The crap he pulled with Austin Rivers and just melting down in the last series after being up 3-1.

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I hope it's George Karl. It would be unexpected, plus it would further prove that Sacramento is cursed. Can Ranananananadive be a worse owner than the Magoofs?

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Bingo!

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Look, that one game was an obviously horrible night. I'm not going to judge this team's offensive system based on that fluke.

However, you mention running off screens and stuff. I love that type of basketball.

Maybe we should get Brewer more open looks off of screens. I mean, he's a bad shooter, but let's let him shoot more off the dribble just so we can we have creativity.

Or maybe we should try more TJones post ups?

I could do this using every player's name on this roster to make my point, but hopefully you will get it. We don't have players that you can run off screens and get open shots that you'd prefer to a James Harden iso. On top of that, they actually were getting tons of open looks in the WCF, just missed most of them.

We need better shooters in order to run the offense better. It's as simple as that in my opinion. It's no coincidence that when Brewer, Smith, Terry had games where the 3 point shot was falling that this offense looked amazing.

6. delishman

delishman Member

Love the CodMan but think he's off base here. McHale is no basketball mastermind but he was solid on the X's and O's this year (not in years past) and he from my perspective, he checks the other boxes. He outcoached RICK in the first round for sure. (Rick is still a way better coach). Unless you have an elite coach whose willing to come here. I'm fine with another year of McSnail.

1 person likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My categories:

Ain't no way:
    David Blatt
    Mike Budenholzer
    Rick Carlisle
    David Joerger
    Steve Kerr
    Jason Kidd
    Kevin McHale
    Gregg Popovich
    Doc Rivers
    Quin Snyder
    Erik Spoelstra
    Brad Stevens
    Stan Van Gundy

Very Doubtful:
    Steve Clifford
    Jeff Hornacek
    George Karl
    Terry Stotts
    Randy Wittman

Legit Possibilities:
    Brett Brown. Would not qualify as a surprise
    Dwane Casey. Would not qualify as a surprise
    Derek Fisher. Should be fired
    Lionel Hollins. Would not qualify as a surprise
    Melvin Hunt. Apparently now has a good chance of returning
    Flip Saunders. Should be fired
    Byron Scott. Should be fired
    Frank Vogel

My guess is Flip Saunders. This would surprise the media and the mass of NBA fans. He's a worn out old shoe who can't relate to players and has no business on the bench.

8. knucklehead3321

Your right they wont fire him before the finals, no way any franchise makes a move like that, thats why I said depending on how many days. If a couple means two or three days then no way he fits the mold. If it turns out a couple means a couple weeks and im just speculating, but if lebron wants him gone I think all 30 franchises would take lebron over blatt. I just think not alot of his guys respect him. Not just lebron, but most of that team. Don't know if you watched any of the chicago cleveland series, if not youtube it and player post games, but after game four it seems like lebron just took over and the whole team followed. Blatt almost blew that game at least 2 times and if chicago goes up 3-1 we could be watching a different east team in the finals. I have doubts they can him, but if its a coach noone sees coming he fits that mold even more so if warriors dominate them, which I think is very likely. I kinda think doc rivers should/would be canned more I just think alot of people might see that coming, the rockets are my #1 team and have been for 20 yrs but I've been a secondary clippers fan for close to 15, and I want him canned not so much for him losing the series, but the way he did as a fan its unacceptable.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

wittman gets canned and Washington hires someone to try and attract KD.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

who's talking about one game? :confused:

throughout the entire season and in almost every game during the postseason, this team went thru harsh coldspells where they could not buy a basket. how many countless times did we build a nice lead against the opponent, and then went thru a stretch in the same game missing 7 of 8 field goals?

the problem is that we don't have enough ISO or one-on-one players to fit mchale's offensive system…..and he refuses or is unable to develop secondary plays that fit his personnel. brewer didn't drop 51 on us going 1on1 and he didn't have an all-star setting him up when he did that either. coaching is more than just rolling the ball out and saying play harder 70 times. when harden's tough shots are not dropping or when he can't create and get his teammate an open look out of thin air, mchale can't just sit there and say "oh well, i don't have the right players, not enough shooters" over multiple plays in multiple games deep in the playoffs. i honestly wonder wtf these guys do in practice (besides not shooting freethrows).

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

You can't lose to a predictable team that isn't very good...:eek:

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that was funny :grin:

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Fisher I believe will get fired.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Look, just because people on clutchfans want to pretend that all McHale does is say "try hard guyz!" doesn't make it true. The Rockets do run set plays, and oh, they also practice free throws.

Regardless of all that, I again go back to my initial point. Please answer me a question:

What player is it on this team that you want running off screens and shooting jumpshots?

This team goes into funks where it can't buy a basket because without Harden creating no one else on the team can score efficiently, regardless of whether a play was run for them. In the playoffs we ran tons of plays that got TJones easy looks at the basket. What did he do? Miss them. We ran post ups with Dwight. What did he do? Missed them or turned it over. We got Brewer lots of open shots. What did he do? Missed them. We got Terry lots of open shots. What did he do? Missed more than he usually does. We got Prigs lots of open shots. What did he do? Refused to take them.

I'm just not sure what play people want this team to run, other than the PnR with Dwight, that they are convinced would be better.

The Rockets shot horrifically bad for long stretches of the playoffs. Missing wide open threes, easy bunnies at the rim, turnovers on just stupid passes, etc. There wasn't a play that was going to get EASIER shots. The players just weren't making them. Because they aren't good at it.

15. basketballholic

Who cares what Sheridan is or isn't. Buy the rumor, sell the news.

What coaches out there could help us recruit Marc Gasol to come to H-Town?

16. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

From BSOTS:
    Jeff Hornacek responded to the rumors he may become the next head coach at Iowa State if the position becomes available.
    Sheridan strikes again! (not)

17. malakas

malakas Member

Hornacek had lost control of his team last year. Maybealong with the troublemakers the Suns want to get rid of him as well?

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think it's pretty clear that when your 3's aren't falling while the opponent is packing the paint, you need to make some midrange shots to open things up.
    harden, terry, brewer (and even ariza) can all make those shots with regularity. brewer was 0-7 from 3pt range thru the 1st 4 games of the last series -- and he's historically a below average 3pt shooter to begin with -- so why not just get him closer shots to get him going?

instead we kept trying to push square pegs into round holes by putting the players in bad positions for their skillsets. i'll take brewer in motion curling off a screen as opposed to standing in the corner for a catch&shoot three 10 times out of 10. another example i mentioned in post #77 of this thread, having josh try to break down the defense off the dribble from the arc time and time again was just painful to watch. at some point, his passing skills should have been better utilized out of the elbow post with multiple cutters instead.

and again i agree that harden ISO up top is our #1 and probably even our #'s 2 and 3 options given the roster makeup. but not mixing up the play calls just makes it that much easier on the defense, allowing them to dictate exactly the shots they want you to take and/or force you into countless turnovers.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Goodbye Fisher, HELLO PHILJAX!

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Dragic was pouting for playing mostly SF and SG, and Thomas wanted that starting spot. They both created a toxic atmosphere in the locker room. Hornacek didn't have anything to do with it.