1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Unexpected NBA team will fire coach within next couple days

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KelvinCato13, May 28, 2015.

1. basketballholic

The more I think about this the more I think it's McHale. Just did some research on McHale's first contract. You can't find any numbers anywhere on what he got paid for these first 4 years. I suspect it was low in terms of NBA head coaches. Maybe 4 yrs/$8 million or maybe even less.

He just signed this extension which is an extra $13 million spread out over the next 3 years. If McHale is indeed removed as head coach, you could say that Les paid him off for underpaying him over the first 4 years. That's basically an extra $3.25 million per year over 4 years just deferred laster. $3.25 million + $2 million would mean we actually paid Kevin around $5.25 million per season to coach this team for 4 years and to reach certain objectives. That combined salary would put him in the upper third of coaches.

But the thing is...the Rockets probably still control him for the next 3 seasons so they can get scouting/front office assistance out of him for 3 years. In other words, they can still get his basketball acumen for basically free.

The more I think about this the more it makes sense. They'll remove him and kick him upstairs, give him a different job assignment. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if his extension and perhaps his original contract was written up with this kind of language that when they decided to transition to a new coach that McHale would be employed in a different capacity within the organization.

The more I think about this....the more it makes sense from so many different perspectives. We're trying to bring in probably Durant in 2016. May be trying to get Marc Gasol this off season. Perhaps Morey is going to bring in \r some coach that will help him recruit Gasol. Keep McHale in the front office to recruit Love. Perhaps even bring in Nate McMillan to recruit LaMarcus????

I think McHale will be replaced.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

^

Why do you think McHale would agree to stay with the team in a lesser role? I don't think the Rockets could force him to perform under the contract in a lesser role; he'd likely be able to walk along with the remainder of the money owed. How many times in history has a head coach taken a demotion like that? There's no way Les would agree to fire McHale after taking us to the WCF.

Also, I believe the tweet was made before Game 5. It wouldn't make as much sense to release the rumor if you weren't sure of when the team's season would be over (although everyone expected us to lose).

3. basketballholic

I'm just speculating that his contract is written that way. When he was originally hired he accepted as part of his hiring, the Rockets hiring Chris Finch as his lead assistant and head coach in training.

Here's an old article that I think has merit. Yes, I know it's BR. But this writer, Patel Love, I've written a lot of his stuff. And he's been right more than he's been wrong.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-a-transitional-coach-for-the-houston-rockets

This article makes sense to me. Especially in light of what most of us see in McHale. McHale's a great guy, a great person, but many of us can see that he doesn't adjust until it's too late. And we can see things like him continuing to go to Terrence over and over and over again with the same results, not making the adjustments soon enough and not moving on from Terrence soon enough and developing DMo instead for instance. Morey got him shooters in the roster (Daniels/Canaan) and McHale won't play them. We go into the post season and we ain't got no shooters because McHale wouldn't play them and Morey moved them for something Morey would use.

I personally know McHale is a great guy. He's super friendly, keeps everything real, is humble, etc. But so many times I just want to shake him because of his nonsensical matchup rotations and his insistence on not developing his roster of talent so that he has a full deck of cards to play with come playoff time and his insistence on continuing to run out the same tired rotation that won't win in the playoffs.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Does Mchales' contract has a no contend clause? Like Doc's did? Because otherwise if he's fired he can go collect his money and sit at home. It has happened in the past, i think with the Magic that they didn't fire a coach but just demoted him, but it's VERY BAD PR. Esp nowadays the Rockets will be eaten alive if they force that on McHale.

Also with what Thibs had to go through good luck getting him to aggre with Morrey and his analytics department.

5. Asian Sensation

Ha. Wishful thinking.

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I'll say Bud, just because no COY has ever been fired right after winning the award.

I also think Kidd perfectly fits the bill. Most people would expect him to stay since Bucks did much better than expectations. In the same time, Bucks are still going nowhere, so could see it happening.

7. bobloblaw

I guess you weren't paying attention when the Nuggets fired George Karl in 2013.

8. knucklehead3321

Depending on how many days we are talking about, I could see david blatt getting canned. I really dislike lebron, but I cant deny his talent he has really coached the cavs and he just doesn't seem to respect blatt like a player should respect his coach...especially during the chicago series. No matter what dan gilbert says everyone knows if lebron wants him gone he will be gone.

Honerable mentions
    Doc rivers blowing a 3-1 lead is unacceptable even if it was against my rockets.
    Rick carlise never know with cuban he always wants/thinks something else is better.
    Eric spoelstra missing the playoffs with a pretty talented team in the east is pretty bad.
    Could be budenholzer but cant see it IMO he only overacheived all year with a roster with no superstar and I think he will only get better COY or not I think he's safe.
    Could be mchale but I think hes got untill the end of next season, what he did this year with all the injuries was amazing if he doesnt replicate or better this season next year we might see his head on a pike.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't see how firing Vogel makes sense. For that matter, most of the suggestions in this thread make no sense.

Like a poster said earlier, Sheridan is a hack, and that's it. He's throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Kidd is the shadow GM of the team and the owner's best buddy. The only way to get fired is to **** the owner's daughter.

11. bobloblaw

It might be worth it.

[​IMG]

12. malakas

malakas Member

Her sister is better.:p

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Give me a coach that players want to play for. We were down 2 starters, one of them was our defensive point guard and we played against the MVP of the league who plays point guard.

McHale doesn't have control over that situation, Morey does. Gotta keep McHale regardless of his weakness of in-game adjustments. His game-to-game adjustments are pretty good, actually.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

My guess, Toronto Raptors or Miami Heat. Most likely Erik Spoelstra - didn't make play-offs and that's just shows you how bad he is without LeBron on his team.

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

McHale is basically doing what Morey wants him to do, shoot 3s and paint shots, and he has good rapport with the players. Why would Morey fire him and why would Les fire him over Morey?

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not get Thibs.

Thibs was fired because of his refusal to work with or communicate with the Bulls front office. There is zero chance Morey hires someone with that track record. Also Thibs wants more control than Houston would afford him.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sheridan doing all he can to stay relevant.

18. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only an idiot would think McHale would get fired after the job he did with the team this year.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If you think about it, thibs was expected to be traded not fired. In a way it fits the bill.

20. PeppermintCandy

In a shocking move, SVG will fire himself, and then hire his brother.