1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Stoudamire Seeking Exit From Memphis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by istream, Jan 3, 2008.

1. istream

istream Member

Agent says Stoudamire will seek release or trade
    By Ronald Tillery (Contact)
    Originally published 04:06 p.m., January 3, 2008
    Updated 04:06 p.m., January 3, 2008

BOSTON — Grizzlies veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire will seek a trade or contract buyout, his agent said Thursday.

Stoudamire was removed from the starting lineup in favor of first-round draft pick Mike Conley. Stoudamire was on the inactive list for the Grizzlies' victory Wednesday over Indiana. Aaron Goodwin, an experienced NBA agent with a star-studded client list, called the decision to relegate Stoudamire to an insurance player at the point unacceptable and disrespectful.

A 13-year veteran, Stoudamire started in 29 games for the 9-22 Grizzlies. He averaged 7.3 points on 39-percent shooting and 3.9 assists in 20.5 minutes.

Head coach Marc Iavaroni, however, prefers to commit to a youth movement at the point with Conley starting and second-year player, Kyle Lowry, coming off the bench.

Conley will make his second NBA start Friday when the Griz play the Boston Celtics.

“For the Grizzlies to demote Damon because of his age and because of the team’s record is unacceptable,” Goodwin said. “They’re going to have to do right by Damon — move to get him out of there or restructure his contract so he can be bought out. Mr. Heisley is a good, compassionate man. But we’re not going to sit back and watch Damon’s career rot.”

Goodwin referred to Griz owner Michael Heisley, who said the team will try within reason to accommodate Stoudamire. Heisley, though, cautioned that the team will consider a lot more than Stoudamire’s personal desire if something is done.

“I have deep affection for Damon Stoudamire,” Heisley said. “I was invited to and went to his wedding in Hawaii. He’s been a stand-up guy. We’re not going to treat Damon in a cavalier manner.

“If the opportunity presents itself, I’d love to see Damon play for a championship team. But that means we have to make a trade and somebody has to want him. We all think the world of Damon. We want to do what’s in his best interest as long as it’s in the best interest of the Grizzlies.”

Stoudamire is under contract through the 2008-09 season. He is scheduled to earn $4.65 million in the final season of a four-year deal he signed in 2005. Stoudamire’s contract is also laden with language that determines his salary for 2008-09 based on the minutes he averages this season

Link

Rockets should look into this. Stevie + Kirk is a good deal in my opinion. Maybe even MJ

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Stoudamire sucks now, he'd be a marginal upgrade at best

3. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I love to see the Rockets get Stoudamire. He's a leader on the floor and his contract is managable.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

He's washed up and not much of an upgrade to our PG. Plus we have Brooks.

I think if we're gonna get a PG then we better find one that is above average since we already have too many.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

About the last player we need.

6. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

yeah, a great shooting veteran point guard that can lead the team and give us the energy that we're missing is definitely not needed.. :rolleyes:

7. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

trade Head's sorry a$$ straight up for Damon, if they want, give 'em Alston too, we need a change really bad and this trade is just begging up to do it..

8. Pocket Rockets

its obvious you have no idea what youre talking about

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't blame him for wanting to finish out the last few years of his career actually competing for a title. Good luck to him in that quest. His contract is small and manageable so if he doesn't get bought out somebody will take a chance on him.

I just hope it wont be the Rockets. Our goal at this point should be to get as young, quick and athletic as we can get. Stoudamire doesn't exactly fit that criteria.

10. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Hes really not that good anymore... however, if we could move mike james for him... :D

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I would trade James and Francis for him to have as an insurance policy in case something happened to Brooks or Rafer.

If someone would have predicted that I would ever type that sentence 3 months ago, I would have called them crazy :D

12. chonox

chonox Member

the only thing that excites me about this trade is the prospect of opening up a free roster spot ... MIKE HARRIS@!!@#@!$#%#$%#$ :D

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

Just what we need another washed up veteran point guard

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Damon had the chance of coming here instead of Memphis. Looks like the decision to take more money back fired on him.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He isn't an upgrade over Alston. At best, he would steal minutes from Brooks and I don't think anyone wants that to happen after seeing what AB has done in his limited minutes.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, at this point in the season all I have sustaining me is the prospect of watching Luis Scola and Aaron Brooks develop into formidable NBA starters. The Rockets don't give me much else in the way of reasons to watch them. In order for me to be behind a trade that knocks Brooks out of the rotation, we'd have to be gaining a point guard that is obviously a substantial upgrade over Alston.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How old are you? You are one of the worst posters on this board. High volume, low quality.

18. Christopher

Christopher Member

I'm shocked he is still even playing!

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I could see the Celtics wanting him. Maybe Phoenix.

20. dunkinlos

dunkinlos Contributing Member