1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets eyeing FAs Durant, Horford, Whiteside, Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jun 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Throw in a can of Pringles and call it a day :cool:

2. FeaR

FeaR Member

I hear from a lot of people around here the same. I think we should make a few value for money signings and call it a day but this place is toxic and people really believe Rockets must sign a tier A max player but i can't really find players who will leave their current teams, Who are these players this offseason ? Anderson,Whiteside, ????

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

We need shooters BAD and in this offense. We really could use a shooter at the 4. But at $18mil no way I'd pay a career 13 PPG 5.6 RPB that can't pass or play good defense and isn't ELITE at hitting the 3 pointer (career .377) that is Beverley career range (.373) Those 5th best player numbers on a championship team.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wouldn't you rather have Barnes for a few mil more?

5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

So which free agents would you give a max too if you were Les/DM?

Durant is a given.

I'd fork it over for Horford. His passing would shine in this offense. He started hitting the 3 last year and he doesn't suck at anything. He'd be a good fit with the roster.

Whiteside is tough call but if his head is in the right place he's a max player for me. Elite rim protector and top notch rebounder. His shot improved as the season went along, he finished as a 65% free throw shooter after a rough start. Put the dude in the gym with Dream and see what sticks.

Anderson No Thanks.

One guy not on this thread I'd max that has realistic chance of leaving his team... Conley, he might be the only 2 way guard that wouldn't suffer along side Harden.

6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

No, I don't want Barnes at 18 mil either. 15mil maybe but he'll get way more than 15 from some other team. Max is for someone that can do something elite or is the PERFECT fit with no holes in there game no "seen" risk.

If they can't get a big fish they should find bargains or at least respectable deals. If we over pay 2 guys and the team falters Harden well be gone 1st chance and we will finally be looking at top lottery billing. I know CF don't wanna hear it but patience might end up being the key come July.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll take Luol Deng or Marvin Williams or Jared Dudley over Ryan Anderson at the salary rate Anderson is likely asking.

I think Luol Deng is a guy the Rockets should target. Miami has FA decisions to make and might not have room for him. Deng is a 2 way player and is a good fit at stretch 4.

8. basketballholic

What is Anderson going to give you for an extra $19,500,000.00 that Wiltjer can't give you?

Agreed. Gimme Wiltjer at the minimum over Anderson.

Gimme Uthoff for $1.5 million over any free agent small forward on the market besides Durant.

Let's use our cap space to make imbalanced trades for players that fit that come with an asset. Forget Parsons, Anderson, etc. Preserve flexibility for 2017 while picking up assets in salary dumps. Then merge assets to trade for a preferred player on a value contract.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's moronic at this point to tie those two guys together.

We have no clue what Wiltjer, in actuality, will give anybody.

I think you're point is that $19.5 million is too much for Anderson. Agreed!!
    But no way am I banking on Wiltjer being able to give you that production, or any production.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

No way am I banking on Wiltjer on giving us any production either.

But if the choice is take a chance to see if maybe some of his 3 point shooting will translate to the pros (on a rookie salary) vs give a max salary to a guy that can't defend, can't pass, isn't good at rebounding and is just better than average at 3 point shooting, I would much rather take the flyer on the rookie.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wiltjer wasn't even drafted for several reasons and he may not even make our roster. He obviously has some weaknesses in his game. But still, even if he ends up sucking, we wouldn't have much of our salary cap invested in him so it wouldn't turn into a mistake that limited us in the future.

11. J Hard

J Hard Member

And will strikeout on them all.

Morey is a joke

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Give me Deng over Anderson any day. Would take Raphiael Putney over Anderson too.

13. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

He's a head case...don't want anything to do with him!

14. hakeemthagreat

Why is it we're always chasing centers? Neither Cleveland or GS have allstar centers yet they were the 2 best teams. If I'm the Rockets I'd get me a stretch 4 and athletic 3&D SF (Batum). We also need energy guys like the dude in Toronto, Biyomo?

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I hope this report is false . I don't want any of these guys . KD because I think it's a wild goose chase and can effect us negatively with our pursuit of other free agents .

Whiteside is like an attempt at Dwight again . I don't think it will work , even if he plays the role perfectly I don't know if he is as talented as Dwight was . Definitely not like he was in ORL .

Horford , the dude will need a Max and I don't wanna pay al freaking horford 30 mil . He's just not that good . He's a solid player , but he's not a top 2 player on your team if you wanna win anything . I don't even know if he can be a top 3 . He's very technically solid on both ends but is undersized for C and probably too slow for 4 .

Anderson . Sure he can shoot , sure he can hit a turn around . But he's like a lesser LA without the defense . NOP was awful defensively and they paired him with Anthony Davis . Also he needs someone to give him the ball . He's not worth it . And again this guy can't be a top 2-3 player on a championship team.

What we need to do , what I hope we do .... Is find solid players . Guys that are versatile, guys who by playing with harden can elevate their games . I want guys that we can offer solid contracts to . We don't need to go bargain shopping , but if we aren't adding a guy who you think can be a top 2-3 player on a championship squad , we cannot commit too much money to him .

I like taking a chance on Dmo , taking chances on some younger players who still have some upside . If you wanna go for the maxes get guys like Batum or Conley who are versatile and are clear upgrades at the 1 and 3 . As much as out 4 and 5 spot needs work , we have some in house options with decent potential . I'd take Capela over a free agent 5 , harrel and Dmo over a high priced 4 .

We need to work with what we have . Dantoni needs to build a system , build a team and we need to gain an identity before we start reaching for the stars . KJ , GP2 , Dekker these guys need to step up this season and try to fill some of their promise.

16. basketballholic

All Anderson does is catch and shoot with a quick release and grab a few boards. I'd rather pay Wiltjer $600,000 to shoot those 3's and save my money for something better.