1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: JVG finalist for Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 16, 2016.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Maybe, or he just wants to do the best job possible and feels that in order to do that he needs access to the players to get the inside scoop on the series.

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I like the idea of Battier as an assistant. I also like the idea of bringing in Kobe as an assistant as I've said before, but neither of those guys should be ASSOCIATE HC. I'm not sure who's out there that JVG would bring in as his top assistant., but I hope it's someone who runs a Kerr type motion offense.

Next step, find a way to land Buddy Hield in the draft! :)

3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Mark Jackson interviewed for Timberwolves and Kings job:confused:

Can't be a ESPN=/=TNT thing:confused:

4. aelliott

It would have nothing to do with the announcer's contract with the network. The issue is with NBA anti-tampering rules.

It would only be an issue if they were named as the new coach. Interviewing for a job isn't a problem. If Mark Jackson were named head coach of the Kings today then I'm assuming that he'd immediately be under the same anti-tampering rules as any other head coach and not allowed contact with other teams players. Jackson hasn't been named as a head coach so the anti-tampering rules don't apply to him.

That would be a reason to wait for an announcement - so that the announcer/coach can continue to have access to players.

BTW this was a completely hypothetical example of why a team/coach may not announce anything even though a decision has been made. I'm in no way saying that I believe that Houston has already decided on JVG. I'm simply saying that just because we don't know that doesn't mean things aren't happening behind the scenes.

#84 aelliott, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. marky :)

marky :) Member

Mark Jackson <> JVG :confused:

6. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

The now-former Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy spoke on local radio 790 on Friday, and it was evident that Van Gundy was hoping to remain on as the coach in Houston.
    "It really wasn't my decision," said Van Gundy. "I let them know I absolutely wanted to coach. They have the right to decide that they want to go in a different direction, and they did. Obviously it's a disappointing decision from my vantage point, but I don't want it to overshadow what I thought was a great 4 years. I really enjoyed it. I'm thankful for the opportunities that were given to me."

Van Gundy had high praise for the players and coaches he worked with here in Houston, saying "they played their hearts out", but he was aware that the Game 7 loss in the playoffs was the nail in the coffin.

"You have to win that 7th game at home, certainly," added Van Gundy. "That was a disappointing loss for everybody. It is a results-oriented business. So, if you win, then you have a chance to continue on and obviously the results weren't to management's liking and they made a choice."

As for what went wrong for Houston in the first-round series, Van Gundy spoke more about what went right for Utah.

"I think really what happened in that series is Andrei Kirilenko in the first two games really wasn't a factor [but] he became a larger and larger factor as the series wore on," said Van Gundy. "Carlos Boozer was great. Deron Williams was great. They have a very fine team. I think it's shown through the second round. I think they just outplayed us."

While Van Gundy said he loved his four years with the Rockets, he expressed remorse about how it all worked out.

"I feel bad that I wasn't able to help McGrady and Yao and the rest of the guys get over the hump, but I choose not to look at what we didn't have as much as being very appreciative to the players for all they gave to the season and to me," said Van Gundy. "I'll never forget it yet I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to help them get over the hump in that 7th game and also that I won't be with them as I go on because I know they have a lot of success ahead of them."

"I feel badly for the players and for the fans that I wasn't able to help them win that 7th game and I apologize for that."

As for his replacement, rumors swirl that the Rockets are negotiating a deal with former Kings coach Rick Adelman. Van Gundy thought that would be a good move.

"I will say this -- if Rick Adelman does become the coach, he is an outstanding coach and an even better person. If that's true, then they have a great guy coming in and he will do a very, very fine job."

As for Van Gundy and his family's future in Houston, he had high praise for the city.

"I want to reiterate that I really did like the 4 years that I had there. I love the city of Houston and am looking forward to making it our home even though I obviously won't be working with the Rockets. I couldn't find a better place to live so I'll always be thankful to Les and Carroll for bringing me to Houston."

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is more fun to consider JVG's sneaky recruiting tactics. :)

8. basketballholic

It's great to have connections. This and more was given to me yesterday with one of the sources being a great poster here who is an insider on the down low. Thanks bro for the tipoff.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

I hope you never change as you are one of the gems of clutchfans.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

battier is the next steve kerr....the man's bball IQ is through the roof and he commands respect from players around the league.

The rockets need to do what they can to lock him up.

He's a guy that can hold James accountable as well.

11. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Would love to have JVG back. Out of all the coaches left, my top pick. I think all his years as an analyst will tremendously improve his coaching ability.

12. aelliott

No problem but I asked you not to mention it on the bbs.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

JVG: head coach
    Battier: head assistant coach
    Mario Elie: defensive coordinator
    Sam Cassell: offensive coordinator

I'd like that.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. onreego

onreego Member

Did he report this?

I know he tweeted "Can't say if interviewed" which doesn't necessarily mean they haven't.

16. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I think he referred to Vogel and Messina, not JVG

JVG and Rockets have not met yet, but yet he is the front runner.

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Makes sense:)

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JVG wouldn't be my first choice, although I wouldn't mind having him either. The thing is, we would not hear his rants about the NBA anymore.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Steve Kerr was still broadcasting when he accepted the job at GSW. I remember the commentator (I forget his name) congratulating him at the end of a playoff game

20. MONON

MONON Member

You can interview players as an announcer. Interviewing Isn't the problem. Being named HC is the problem, because you can't interview players as a HC.