1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: JVG finalist for Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 16, 2016.

1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

If I were a defensive minded coach I think I'd rather look to Whiteside at this point of their careers.

Whiteside has the fresher knees and back and might still be improving as a player. Howard on the other hand is in decline to some degree and may decline even faster next year.

I think if JVG takes the job he is telling Morey he wants to have Whiteside. I could be wrong but it seems to be the logical move.

One thing for sure JVG knows defense, see Chuckwagon.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I have no idea who Gary Woelfel is, but personally there really are very few "insiders" that I put any weight in.

"My sources are telling me that the Rockets are strongly considering bringing JVG back as coach. The Rockets are familiar with Van Gundy and JVG is familiar with the Rockets organization making it an easy fit. He might be the leading candidate so far. But he might not. The Rockets have been looking at coaches everywhere, even some coaches in college. But they want to keep their options open. Don't be surprised if they hire a college coach. Or Sam Cassell. Or maybe the coach from the high school team down the street. They have also looked into some other NBA coaches and assistant coaches. Maybe JB Bickerstaff or Chris Finch or Kelvin Sampson or Ralph Sampson. They are looking at everyone. But don't forget, no matter who they end up hiring, you heard it hear first."

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Does JVG want Whiteside? I don't know. I sure don't. That guy looks primed to be the next player that gets a big contract and then promptly gives up trying. Could be wrong about that.

But who does JVG want? I don't know. He is the guy that played Ryan Bowen major minutes during the playoffs.

4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I wonder who JVG would bring on as assistants. I wonder if Kobe would be interested. We need some assistants to hold these guys accountable. Obviously that would never happen if DH is back.

5. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Is it strange that we have yet to hear a PEEP about JVG being interested? It seems like every report I've seen is the Rockets coveting JVG but nothing about his interest in getting back into coaching.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, the main reason Dwight is "obsolete" is because of the Rox's horrible defensive and offensive schemes, I mean if numbnuts like De Andre Jordan can end up scoring effectively despite having 0 offensive skills and bad hands why can't Dwight? Its all a question of buy in and effort, after seeing so many times when Dwight gets ignored on offense, Brewer or whoever clanks the shot and then bad defense leads to a score by the opponent I can see why Dwight won't put in effort to preserve his health.

To me the real questions with Dwight are regarding his salary and his health. I don't want to pay him money if he's gonna sit out games again and I don't think he's worth the 25M-30M he likely wants. We'll see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Great find thanks. JVG comment that started at 3:50 was and is so dead on. This is the reason I have no problem with JVG returning. He'll give every player a defined role that they can contribute in and if the cry about that they'll be on the outs.

JVG + Conley and Whiteside would be a good start.

8. rocketsmetalspd

Harden will have the last word. IF JVG is hired, Harden must have given the Ok sign on the hiring:grin:

9. DreamEarlNolan

My guess is they've wanted JVG all along. I'm sure JVG wants to honor his duties with ABC/ESPN through the playoffs, and once the season ends he will be named head coach. If the Rockets wanted any of the other candidates, they would have already hired someone.

10. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

According to Gery, I think he will be hired this week.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All Hail Gundy !

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

You guys don't get it. The superstar players have far more power than the coaches. You think a coach telling Harden he's a slacker is going to magically make him play defense. I'm pretty sure McHale called him a slacker, and we know how that ended.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Jeff isn't likely to speak about a job he is interested in, especially when he currently has an obligation to a television network.

Jeff and Daryl Morey are members of the same health club, they see each other socially several times a week. There isn't going to be much discussion. The Rockets don't leak information and that means any information would come from Jeff; and he isn't like his brother, he isn't going to say much about it. Further, he is well liked by the media, so if he does confide in someone, they are unlikely to report it.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Guess who's back

Back again

Van Gundy's back

Tell a friend

Guess who's back guess who's back guess who's back guess who's back

Na Na na na hey hey hey na na na na hey hey hey

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

DeAndre has Chris Paul elevating his performance though:(

Harden can create, but he is nowhere near the passer CP3 is and Howard has been reluctant to PnR:mad:

Whiteside on the otherhand has figured out his FT's, can hit the elbow jumper occasionally, and has ample athleticism to connect with Harden on the little lobs that he and Dwight run occasionally.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

One has to wonder if Morey is doing what is right for the org, or for keeping his job?

IE, what if JVG is right but it would require Morey reporting to him, and therefore Morey is looking for candidates that allow him to remain at the top?

Just spit balling here, ultimately I think Les decides, but Morey is in charge of putting the guys in front of Les.

DD

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Van Gundy has evolved his offense to fit the modern ones based on his commentating the past 9 years so I'm not worried about that.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting.

Well..... let's just say that when Les says "jump", Daryl asks "how high?".

Les Alexander has a very good idea of who he wants to interview and there is no way in hell Morey is going to say "no".

19. illwil29

illwil29 Member

Jeff van gunny is a great hire he holds players accountable. If you don't get with the program you'll be gone ahla Steve Francis.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They have not met with Van Gundy, but they are interested, source said. Hold-up is just to get to know others first. <a href="https://t.co/PRsCsHY13P">https://t.co/PRsCsHY13P</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/732274018573635586">May 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>