1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Cheap Chinese NBA Players Falling Apart After A Couple Seasons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LewLLOYD, Mar 28, 2008.

1. girlnextdoor

girlnextdoor Member

not true... am i the only one with enough balls to say it? :p

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i like your threads. we all do. but this thread is not crappy. i know you're too serious a guy to appreciate it. and no amount of argument is going to change you. but please don't insult people, which is the majority judging by the rating, who like it and think this is a quality thread...this is not cool. :p

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Courtesy of "Conan hates my homeland"

Afghanistan
    The bad news is, there's a new article about everyone farming opium.
    The good news is, you can't read.

Albania
    The perfect getaway for people who love Kosovo, but hate the working phone service.

Algeria
    It took you eight years to beat France.
    Andorra
    How does it feel, being Luxembourg's b****?

Angola
    Hey, call me when your life expectancy catches up with your inflation rate.

Azerbaijan
    Believe it or not, you can use oil for more than just killing seals.

The Bahamas
    It takes a lot of rum to forget your major export is crawfish.

Bahrain
    A thriving centre of trade and culture... until 2000 BC!

Bangladesh
    If you can hear this, your television isn't underwater. Congratulations!

Barbados
    There simply isn't a more beautiful island... to sail by on your way to Jamaica.

Belarus
    Clay, sand, and chalk: Your richest natural resources are what a toddler throws up after a big day at preschool.

Belgium
    The only European country to never successfully invade Belgium.

Belize
    Get your camera; they're paving a road!

Benin
    Keep practicing those voodoo spells and maybe someday you'll be as rich as Rwanda.

Bhutan
    So they took away your freedom of the press? Who needs it when your only headline is "Bhutan Continues to Suck?"

Bolivia
    Remember kids, you must be at least nine years old to overthrow the goverment.

Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Nothing spells a bright future like signing your peace accord in Dayton, Ohio.

Botswana
    Diamonds are forever; too bad your people check out at 35.

Brazil
    Home to more than 800 species of unregulated breast implants.

Brunei
    If there was ever an argument for the death penalty, it's chicken smuggling.

Bulgaria
    So what if you misplaced a little weapons-grade uranium? The important thing is keeping track of all those hand-made doileys and goat hair rugs.

Burkina Faso
    In the traditional tribal language, that's Burkina for "land of" and Faso for "people who want to get the hell out of Burkina Faso."

Burma
    The bad news is, you've got rampant malaria.
    The good news is, it doesn't stop the kids from making those shirts.

Burundi
    All that coffee in a country with no reason to wake up.

Cambodia
    How many temples does it take before you guys realize God isn't listening?

Cameroon
    Not to be mistaken with the macaroon, a small, chewy cookie... with a longer life expectancy!

Canada
    With massive overpopulation threatening the globe, Canadians maintain a population of less than 35 million. How do they do it? Zero sex appeal!

Cape Verde
    Millions visit your island nation... to refuel their planes!

Central African Republic
    So bad, the gorillas learn sign language for "Poach me."

Chad
    Good news: Ustad Ali Khan is headlining the Locust Plague Festival.

Chile
    The good news is, it's finally legal to get a divorce.
    The bad news is, who gets the active volcano and who gets the 55,000 square miles of lifeless desert?

China
    If you're gonna be in prison, it might as well be for no reason.

Colombia
    You'll come for the enticing beauty of the Caribbean Sea. You'll stay because you've been kidnapped and locked in the trunk of a Dodge Dart.

Comoros
    On a list of the world's purchasing power, you're ranked 222. Did I mention there are only 190 countries?

Democratic Republic of Congo
    Where even a poor boy with no prospects can grow up to be run over by a presidential motorcade.

Republic of Congo
    Without you, who would the elephants trample?

Costa Rica
    Thanks for giving us a place to dump our potheads.

Cote D'Ivoire
    Cocoa, sugar, and mass killings. Are you a country or a Willy Wonka nightmare?

Croatia
    Congratulations on your candidacy for the European Union. Imagine, if that comes through, it could employ two, maybe three people.

Cuba
    Where "high-tech" means you've got a radio on your homemade raft.

Cyprus
    Where the Mediterranean climate makes it a joy to spend each day mining asbestos.

Czech Republic
    The country that explains why Kafka never wrote a happy story.

Denmark
    Too bad you can't build a warm, sunny day out of Legos.

Djibouti
    Imagine how great life would be if you had the rich natural resources of Ethiopia.

Dominica
    Where the national catchphrase is "I'm sorry, officer, I didn't mean to interrupt your armed robbery."

Dominican Republic
    The perfect place for anyone who's ever asked themself "Where'd my car go?"

East Timor
    It takes a lot to admit you live on the bad side of Timor.

Ecuador
    Street crime is on the rise, so keep your ransom note in an inside pocket.

Egypt
    Where priceless ancient statues and mummies are so close, you can fly to London and see them at the British Museum.

El Salvador
    Where no resumé is complete without the phrase "Supervised six-person death squad."

Equatorial Guinea
    Congratulations, you just discovered vast oil reserves... I mean, we just discovered vast oil reserves. *evil laugh*

Eritrea
    You only have one TV station, but cheer up - it's got locust reports on the eights!

Estonia
    Home of the European flying squirrel, the only Estonian mammal that's not an alcoholic.

Ethiopia
    I can't do this one, let's move on.

Fiji
    If you're visiting Fiji, you have to go snorkeling, 'cause it's the best way to flee cannibals.

Finland
    We're so dumb, we can't wait to be insulted to send a meaningless postcard with a tire on the front.

You've had over 5,000 years of culture, and the world's most famous Finn is still Huckleberry.

France
    You gave us the term "deja vu," as in "Wow, I have this weird feeling you've been obnoxious and arrogant before. Deja vu!"
    (Wait a miniute, this is France, so I think I can't do just one.)
    France
    Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Gauguin, Manet: You're number one when it comes to great minds that died of syphillis.

Gabon
    You have to question a country that grants five terms to a man called "President Bongo."

The Gambia
    The only nation brave enough to say "Let those offshore oil reserves wait. We've got a good thing going with these peanuts and palm kernels."

Georgia
    Where Europe meets Asia and says "Hey, why don't we both dump our crap here?"

Germany
    The great 20th-century power that said, "Ditch Einstein, get Hasselhoff."

Ghana
    The 'h' is silent, like a room full of people after you ask "What's worthwhile about Ghana?"

Greece
    Big news: Historians now think the first marathon took place in August 490 BC, not September. That means nothing good has come out of Greece for a month longer than previously believed.

Grenada
    When you're at the end of a grueling fifteen-hour day peeling the husks off nutmeg, remember this: without you, the world would have to sprinkle its eggnog with cinnamon.

Guatemala
    Where the Mayans invented the zero, as in "What are the chances this shirt was made by someone over the age of eight? Zero!"

Guinea
    Even guinea pigs have the good sense to claim they're actually from Peru.

Guinea-Bissau
    The only book that mentions it is The Audubon Guide to Locusts.

Guyana
    The Eskimos have sixty words for "snow." The Guyanans have eighty words for "dysentery."

Haiti
    You just celebrated two hundred years of independence. Congratulations. Now make a wish and blow out your burning pile of tires.

Hungary
    Sure, your next-door neighbour Austria was home to Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, Schubert, and Freud, but don't forget, you make pretty good stuffed cabbage.

Iceland
    I'm amazed you don't have a military. How do you protect your 85,000 square miles of uninhabitable land?

India
    A nation so richly diverse, you can walk into a single neighborhood and find cholera, dengue fever, malaria, typhoid, and plague.

Indonesia
    This year marks the fiftieth anniversary of your first democratic election, in which apparently, everyone voted to never have another democratic election.

Iran
    Just two more years 'til you have a nuclear warhead, and two years and a day 'til you use it on a woman holding a beer.

Ireland
    You know, there's a wonderful old Irish legend that goes something like this: Once upon a time, many years ago, there was an Irishman who could hold down a job.

Israel
    Hey, remember when life in Israel was vibrant and carefree? Man, that was the day.

Italy
    The newspapers are reporting a miracle. Apparently, a statue of Mary moved her hand and said, "I just worked harder than 80% of your workforce."

Jamaica
    Of course you've got an astronomical murder rate. You've had "No Woman No Cry" on repeat for 25 years.

Japan
    Last century, you brutally defeated China and Russia. This century, you make Hello Kitty toasters.

Jordan
    Thanks to your country's progress in human rights, now your citizens can choose which hand you cut off.

Kenya
    It's a beautiful place to grow old, assuming you're one of the 2.3% of Kenyans who live to 65.

South Korea
    Your biggest natural resource is coal, which gives dog a nice, smokey flavour.

Kuwait
    We saved your ass from Saddam. Now make with the oil, b****.

Kyrgystan
    If your country could afford vowels, you could spell "this place sucks."

Laos
    You'll come for the early Asian ruins. You'll stay 'cause you've been stricken with avian bird flu.

Latvia
    Your leading industries are textiles, heavy machinery production, and trading your daughters for second-hand American blue jeans.

Liberia
    Are you bummed out 'cause your country has only 120 miles of paved road? Well, cheer up! Your 41-year life expectancy should give you plenty of time to see all of it.

Luxembourg
    Come visit our country, but make sure you also have an afternoon activity.

Malawi
    Just like Florida, except without the electricity, phones, drinkable water, or protection from roaming death squads.

Malaysia
    Where the police cane you first, then ask for a bribe.

Maldives
    You'll come for the tropical climate. You'll stay 'cause you've been eaten by tiger sharks.

Mali
    What's that noise? People arguing in tribal languages over the last pile of ground nuts!

Malta
    Brimming with culture, history, and mustachioed Sicilian hookers.

Marshall Islands
    To write a joke about your country, we Googled it. No results were found.

Mexico
    Look, there's an honest policeman! No, wait, they got him.

Monaco
    Where Eurotrash goes to gamble away their facelift money.

Mongolia
    Where Chinese freedom meets Siberian comfort.

Mozambique
    The good news is, you only have the fourteenth highest death rate in the world.
    The bad news is, you border numbers one, three, four, and seven.

Myanmar
    Remember when your government was almost toppled by a pair of cigarette-smoking twelve-year-old twins who you thought were immortal? Man, you sure have come a long way since 2001.

Nepal
    Home to eight of the world's highest peaks; nine if you count your unemployment rate.

The Netherlands
    Congratulations, you've turned 500 years of culture into a pot joke.

New Caledonia
    Still a world leader in beach erosion.

Nicaragua
    Come learn about the heritage of your nanny.

Nigeria
    Where children come first... in the draft.

Norway
    Sweden has Ikea, Finland has Nokia... Hey Norway, what do you have? Nothing-kia!

Oman
    As in "Oh man, I can't believe you cut my hand off for stealing an orange!"

Pakistan
    Guess what? You're not worth jack-istan!

Palau
    How do you enter Palau? Arrive in a national airport.
    How do you leave Palau? Through a shark's colon.

Panama
    Congratulations, you have the second-busiest canal after Paris Hilton.

Philippines
    Mi casa es su landfill.

Poland
    We'd write an insult about Poland, but they'd just send themselves the hate mail.

Romania
    Come see our museum of the Middle Ages. We call it "Romania."

Russia
    The perfect marriage of rampant corruption and tacky track suits.

St. Kitts & Nevis
    You know, after you get through the shrinking population and the low birth rate, there's almost no one left to die during hurricane season.

Samoa
    Kind of like Fiji, but without all the reasons to go there.

Saudi Arabia
    You'll come for the history, you'll stay because they arrested your wife for accidentally showing her ankles.

Serbia
    You tried ethnic cleansing; how about cleaning your armpits?

Sierra Leone
    You fought for the British in World War I, now you're fighting for your first working toilet.

Slovakia
    In 1993, Czechoslovakia was split into two seperate parts: Slovakia, and the good part.

Somalia
    Plagued by decades of civil war. Come on, guys, there's plenty of rubble for everyone!

Spain
    Five hundred years ago, you were a global superpower, and now you're not. Hmm, that's strange. Oh well, time for another four-hour nap!

Sweden
    Your contributions to the world: crappy furniture and Stockholm Syndrome.

Syria
    We haven't bombed you yet. Still, I'd hold off on any major contruction projects.

Taiwan
    Oh wait, you're not a real country. You're China's b****!

Tajikistan
    Congratulations, you're where Uzbekistanis go to feel better about themselves.

Thailand
    Where you can have sex with a 14-year-old prostitute, if they're willing to come out of retirement.

Togo
    You've got it all... and by "it all," I mean risk of both bacterial and protozoal diarrhea.

Trinidad & Tobago
    The Siegfried & Roy of the Lesser Antilles.

Tunisia
    Remember that scene in Star Wars when they're on that desert planet and they go into that bar with all those weird creatures? Guess what, that was filmed in Tunisia, and those weren't actors!

Turkey
    Formerly the Ottoman Empire, whose greatest achievement was inventing a piece of furniture to rest your feet on.

Turkmenistan
    Why don't more people give their children Turkmen names? I don't know, let's ask President Gurbanguly Berdymuhammedov.

Turks & Caicos
    Where the national library is housed under the reception desk of a Sandals Resort.

Uganda
    Situated right between Rwanda and the Sudan. Jealous?

United Arab Emirates
    You're remarkably tolerant on women's rights: you let them drive a car to their stoning.

United Kingdom
    The sun never sets on the United Kingdom, and it never rose on British dentistry.

Uzbekistan
    You've got a novel way to fight corruption: you don't have anything worth stealing!

Vanuatu
    You have more than a hundred local languages; in other words, over a hundred ways to say "Hey, remember when Survivor was here?"

Vietnam
    Come and reunite your sneakers with the eight-year-olds who made them.

Virgin Islands
    Well you wouldn't be, if you weren't so damn ugly.

Wallis & Fortuna
    The reason for your people's long lifespan? Not even Death knows where the hell you are!

Yemen
    If you think Yemen is too tough on shoplifters, raise your right stump.

Zambia
    Don't let anyone tell you that you're dirt-poor. You've got plenty of dirt!

Zimbabwe
    You'll come for the country's pristine natural beauty. You'll stay because rogue soldiers have chained you to a burned-out jeep.

#163 Bandwagoner, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"2001" or "Planet of the Apes" ?

5. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

you're welcome. i always look out for you :)

6. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Nope.

The most glaring issue with this video has nothing to do with Tibet at all.
    WHY would the United States release the Republic of Texas? We joined the US WILLINGLY. This was an intentional, willing thing. In fact, the Republic of Texas SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE EXISTED. As soon as Texas captured Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Texas was supposed to be annex into the US. But there were problems, and it took 9 years.

Now that that's out of the way, Tibet wants AUTONOMY, not INDEPENDENCE. The Native Americans here largely DO have autonomy. What the Tibetans have is a fascist dictatorship (due to the emerging Chinese market, China can no longer be considered truly communist) restricting their rights. But that makes them no different than the rest of China. Remember that I didn't say I supported either.
    And as far as Tibetan sovereignty? That's a big debate. The 13th Dalai Llama said that for those thousands of years, China had a "benefactor and priest" relationship. Tibet was not a subservient, dominant state.
    The US has billions and billions of dollars invested in China. And China has so much invested in the US that whatever one country does has an immediate impact on the other. The US WANTS China to flourish. The US only wants China to stop the horrible human rights abuses and the extreme restriction of liberties. The US isn't perfect. But wow.
    And multicultural? China is about 92 percent Han Chinese. Compare that to the United States, about 74 percent "white". Canada is about 83 percent "white". And "white" refers to anyone of light skin color. So Irish, German, Norwegian, Czech, and Polish people can all claim "white"; China is NOT as ethnically diverse as that video implies. That doesn't mean it isn't ethnically diverse, but the video is certainly misleading.
    You know, I'd really thought China had made a huge leap towards liberty. I thought things had changed since the Tiananmen Square Massacre. But firing into crowds of protesters in Tibet and the tight controls on what can and can't be shown during Olympics coverage have changed that. Can't show live shots of Tianamen Square? That's heinous.
    The government of the People's Republic of China persecutes the religious, deletes history, and controls the press. China has improved. I applaud PRC for its improvements, but they're just baby steps. They're not there yet.
    And before you start with talking points about the US, do you think a film similar to Loose Change could be released in PRC? It may be completely wrong, but it's still out there.
    We haven't forgotten about slavery, the Tuskegee Experiments, and segregation. We haven't forgotten about the boatloads of Jews fleeing Nazi Europe. We haven't forgotten about the injustices done to Irish and Chinese immigrants in the 1800s and early 1900s. But it seems PRC keeps losing track of major historical events. The CIA's practices in Latin America have been abysmal. But I'm free to criticize my government as much as I can. As a member of the MEDIA, as a JOURNALIST (though I'm not reporting here), just because I don't support the government of PRC doesn't mean I'm going to write libelous stories about it. It just means I'm going to report facts. I'm not in the business of putting my personal opinions into what I write. I don't and will never pick and choose stories that make China look bad.
    Journalists have four rules.
    1.) Seek the truth and report it
    2.) Minimize harm
    3.) Act independently
    4.) Be accountable
    My opinions on the government have nothing to do with people, culture, or products. And you're free to decide whether or not you want to agree with them. This is my opinion, not reporting. If you want me to report facts, I'll do it, and I'll do it well. But I have to take off my "argumentative Rockets fan" hat and put on my "ethical journalist" hat.

7. bloop

bloop Member

No the main problem with borat is that it blatantly rips off this guy:

http://www.ikissyou.org/

I dont know what happy turnip truck you fell off of, but where do you get the idea that satire is at all about "upbuilding?" satire is entirely about the ridicule and derision of other people's folly and shortcomings. It's about making yourself feel better and smarter at the expense of other people

Borat is funny as hell but like all satire it expouses a political point of view, Cohen being a Jew and British there's no question that the movie takes great joy in taking shots at Americans, particularly at supposed hypocrisy of middle america when it comes to professed American ideals like tolerance.

Do you think a Borat movie would be made going to Israel talking about the West Bank or Gaza? Satire is political and reflects the views of the satirists. But it's better than straight ranting and allows people to get their point across. and if you're laughing at least you're not fighting

The original piece, mileage may vary there's really nothing wrong with Chinese people for whatever reason thinking it's not funny... personally I think it's pretty clever but w/e depending on your POV you might not. Every culture has hot buttons you're not allowed to touch. In the US even a picture of Hitler or the KKK will lock down a thread, I'm sure Chinese people find that queer

8. bloop

bloop Member

blathersby and others, I dont know why you all are posting about tibet in this thread but china will pull out of tibet around the time Israel pulls its settlements out of the West Bank. I really dont think you're gonna convince any of our chinese friends about tibets via long posts... and most americans probably already agree with you.

the part about journalistic integrity I thought a bit odd. from jayson blair at the NY Times to falsified Diddy documents at the LA Times, public confidence in the media is at an all time nadir in recent years. I would freakin LOVE to pick up a paper/turn on the TV and get "just the facts maam" but these days it's about "context" and politicized talking heads spinning everything from no child left behind to global warming

9. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I'm not trying to convince anyone; I just like to argue. =D
    That said, I just moved in the direction the thread did. I said my piece and am done. I don't expect anyone's mind to change.

And journalistic integrity? The problem isn't with journalists. The problem is that journalism and talking heads have become synonymous with each other. The NY Times sucks. The LA Times sucks. The problem is that newspapers are so desperate to get readers that they'll post whatever crap they think will get them readers.
    And same with the news networks. They're all under crazy pressure from the internet. And, not coincidentally, that's where most decent news comes from!

The ultimate goal, if you're looking for Dragnet journalism, is the internet. Look for all of the following:
    1.) Use multiple sources from multiple angles. Get pro-Chinese and pro-Tibetan sources.
    2.) Get sources free from government intervention, advertising, and corporate ownership.
    3.) Stay away from people or associations clearly trying to force an agenda

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i rated this thread five stars.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no doubt

someone is a *little* full of themself.

If I threatened to quit doing my threads everytime someone in here pissed me off, I would have quit 3 years ago.:rolleyes:

and I dont give a damn what the star rating of my threads are...if you always make quality threads, the people will know and they will come...not because of the stars, but because you make it worth their time.

so basically, pryuen needs to step back and see how stupid it looks to always whine about "my threads" constantly in other threads.

oh, and btw...some of you guys may not realize it, but the D&D forum is where there is already a nice rowdy Tibet vs China thread...take this crap there where it belongs.

12. foo82

foo82 Member

Please don't be stupid. I'm sure the taiwanese army is there to help the China's militairy to subdue any form of government protest :rolleyes:

13. Bandwagoner

I appreciate both of you guys but frankly you are kinda similar.
    Pryuen just takes stuff a bit to personal.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yeah

three times in 4 years

nice.

let me know as soon as I do it in every thread that isnt going the way I like.:rolleyes:

k thx

15. Bandwagoner

Those are all from this year.

You already have the :rolleyes: down pat!

16. jli

jli Member

Cheap products are made for cheap customers.

17. liberty

liberty Member

Ok, you started it, let's see the truth.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/acHkXqik_Bo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/acHkXqik_Bo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Being upbuilding isn't always "happy". Often its far from it. But satire need not be humorous, and even when it is funny, the humor isn't the main point. The main point is, as I said to be upbuilding. Appears that was lost on you, and many others.

It saddens me that people read satirical articles at face value, reading them as something that supports their own ignorance and prejudice. Archie Bunker comes to mind, and Stephen Colbert. But, I suppose thats the point of well written satire, to draw the ignorant and prejudiced out into the open, giving them a false sense that they are among other like minded narrow minded folk. And in that sense this thread is a great success.

Bottom line is Yao takes an enormous beating down low, is an incredibly hard worker, and in no way resembles a cheap or poorly made chinese product. Thats the point of the article.

20. BarkleyHater84

This is a racist thread, and it should be shut down completely and the one who created this thread should be banned. By the way, I'm Black (Afro-American) and it's racism like this that brings this great country down everyday. Black players get injured, White players get injured, and people period get injured. It's not Yao's fault that he plays year round and is getting ran into the ground by his communist country, let off the guy. None of you losers are even 1/10th as good as him, and you should be ashamed of yourselves. There is a difference between criticizing a player and attacking a person's skin color. I think we reached that point.