1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Cheap Chinese NBA Players Falling Apart After A Couple Seasons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LewLLOYD, Mar 28, 2008.

1. oldnews2

oldnews2 Member

Sorry, I meant
    'the Chinese pencil like this isn't sold in China since ten years ago.
    Why is it still sold in US?'

Fixed

2. linzhihao

linzhihao Member

Seems like you can't tell my little Chinese onion either :(

3. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

From wikipedia's definition of satire:
    ...the purpose of satire is not primarily humor in itself so much as an attack on something of which the author strongly disapproves, using the weapon of wit.

Q: What is it the writer of the Onion article disapproves of?

A) Chinese products in general b/c they are cheaply made
    B) Chinese basketball players b/c they are cheaply made
    C) American basketball players b/c they "occasionally malfunction"
    D) Both A and C
    E) None of the above

...The essential point, is that "in satire, irony is militant". This "militant irony" (or sarcasm) often professes to approve the very things the satirist actually wishes to attack.

So, Pryuen, your comments are more aligned with the that of the author of the offensive Onion article than you may have first realized.

And your comments, Pryuen, are definitely closer to the authors sentiment than a good number of the posters in this thread.

4. alecoool

alecoool Member

NO, this is Not a thread relates to basketball at all.

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

^huh?

what a load of mumbo jumbo! English is my first language and i'm lost in that maze of confusion!

"The essential point, is that "in satire, irony is militant". This "militant irony" (or sarcasm) often professes to approve the very things the satirist actually wishes to attack."

uh-huh. huh?

6. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Oh, no, I got your metaphor. I actually though it was a nice pun (unless I missed something). But I figured I'd post a couple of other Onion headlines that were satirical but could be taken offensively just to show, hey, no hard feelings, right?

It's really more of a parody. We kind of have a bad habit of using the words "parody" and "satire" interchangeably. Sorry!

From the Wikipedia entry on parody:
    A parody ( pronounced pa-ruh-de), in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or poke fun at an original work, its subject, or author, by means of humorous or satirical imitation.

#146 blathersby, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  7. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

The problem with Borat is it works on both levels. Sasha Baron Cohen pokes fun at Kazakhstan just as much as he uses his character to show American prejudices and ignorance. Sometimes I think Sasha Baron Cohen is more concerned with getting a laugh than being upbuilding, which is the true nature of satire.

Perhaps this Onion article is similarly guilty.

The Onion article definitely includes a shot at Chinese made products, (which by the way, is not the main point of the satire, but an unfortunate byproduct) to which Pryuen, I believe, makes the proper counter point, that the cheaply made Chinese products are made to satisfy the demand of a very lowbrow and 'throw away' aspect of American culture which is more to blame for the phenomenon than any inability on the part of China to produce quality goods.

In sum, blathersby, I get the gist of your post, of which I don't entirely disapprove of, but I'd like to add to it that I am not a fan of the "its just satire" line.

We should be aware of anything in the satire that isn't burned off in irony. For anything that isn't so burned off tars and scars. Satire is, by its very nature, a trap.

8. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

So, who hazards a guess? Anyone? ... anyone? Beuller?
    C'mon, its multiple choice.

9. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Yeah, I understand the other viewpoint as well. I know how The Onion guys write -- they have a big table with whiteboards all around where they come up with stuff. It's actually very similar to writing a TV show. This is a very likely scenario to how the idea for this story came about:
    Just to be sure that everyone's on the same page with how The Onion works, you know it's fake... Right? It's all fake news. They take real things and approach them from ridiculous angles. Or they just make stuff up.

#149 blathersby, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  10. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

LOL! Sounds like a car sale review.

11. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

LOL this one's more insulted by his thread getting a lower rating than anything in the article itself.

[​IMG]

12. Cjballa14

Cjballa14 Member

Uncle Mutumbo and Big Yao think:

the onion > pryeun...

13. roberta11

roberta11 Member

Talking about Tibet, I suppose something like this video will help you to learn more:
    http://v.blog.sohu.com/u/vw/865951

you can also find it on youtube.

14. gao

gao New Member

in china,the cheapest eraser can erase.i konw this because i am chinese.i think the reason for yours is you even don't konw how to use it.i forgive you because using pencil and eraser is very difficult for you.

15. ClearSky

ClearSky Member

i'd like to say u dont know any economic, DD

16. ClearSky

ClearSky Member

Yao is from Mars actually :D

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I would guess A). But like bathersby said, I don't think they have any real agenda. They just try to look at things from ridiculous angles.

Anyways, I think pryuen needs to take life a little more lightly. Not everything sounds negative about Yao or Chinese needs to be retorted. Look at the article this way: Yao's greatness just proves that the stereotype "Chinese products are crappy" is wrong.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm Chinese (Well Canadian/Hong Kongnese to be specific). And to be honest, even though I'm not too fond of some of the things that China do, like cheap stuff, the stereotypes really do annoy me. The article was stereotypical.

Sure sometimes China produces the cheapest stuff, but all pencils and are the same. In the end they still do the same things. Like a Car is a Car, a lexas and a crappy car both serve the same purpose.

So theres my 2 cent, I don't like that article, its racist, even though its suppose to be some joke, its basically calling chinese people unreliable, cheap and crappy. So no, I do not find anything funny about this article.

That article should be erased soon, its embaressing for that website to post something like that.

19. modelmomo

modelmomo Member

操!有种到中国来我用双节棍捅你们这些跟不上时代的美国佬的屁眼儿!

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

So how many times is this now that Pryuen has threatened to "take his ball and go home"?