1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Chances good that Carmelo finishes the season in Denver

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Marteen, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

As cold water continues to get thrown on reports that the Denver Nuggets and Los Angeles Lakers are discussing a Carmelo Anthony-for-Andrew Bynum trade, sources tell The Denver Post that there’s a “better-than-average chance” Denver won’t trade Anthony until after the season.

If the Nuggets believe the assets they’ll get in return for Anthony after the season will be similar to what they can get before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, they’ll be inclined to keep Anthony and try to make a run deep into the playoffs, according to the report.

Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, left rear, works against Portland Trail Blazers forward Dante Cunningham (33) while calling for a pass from Al Harrington (7) during the second quarter of an NBA basketball game in Denver, Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011. The Nuggets won 109-90(AP Photo)
    Following practice on Wednesday, Anthony said he would "take a hard look" at signing a three-year extension with Denver if he was not dealt by the deadline, according to multiple reports.

But the Knicks may be interested in acquiring Anthony of their own playoff run. One indication of that is a report in Tuesday’s New York Daily News that said owner James Dolan has become personally involved in negotiations with the Nuggets.

Also, while the Nets publicly declared that they have ended their pursuit of Anthony, there’s a possibility that they’ll make another bid for the star, and the expiring contract of Troy Murphy may figure into the package New Jersey offers to Denver.

Houston and Dallas have also been mentioned as potential suitors for Anthony in a rent-a-player situation (meaning the Rockets or Mavericks may be willing to trade for Anthony even if he’s not willing to sign a contract extension with them). The Rockets, according to The Denver Post, remain interested in acquiring Anthony for the rest of the season and trying to convince him to stay in Houston long term.

Link to article

2. The Situation

The Situation Member

Denver management: Dumbasses

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

There are reports out there that he will resign with the Nuggets.....

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Report: I don't care

2 people like this.
  6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

In that case Denver loses.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hope he finishes the season in Denver and re-signs with the Nuggets.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Could be Anthony would rather the Nuggets not trade him at all and allow him to sign with NY this summer with a better roster around him.

This whole thing has been a ridiculous 4-way bluff fest, with no one really having a sharp hold on things.

The Nuggets probably are right if they are thinking it's better to ride the full season and playoffs with Anthony keeping the box office humming and the Nuggets up in the standings and then blow it all up in the summer. Blowing it up now for a crummy return and watch their revenue plummet isn't all that worthwhile.

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Link?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Based on what's come out of Melo's mouth, I think he's most concerned about getting the $65 million. But he doesn't want it to be in Denver. He said about a week ago he was concerned about how the new CBA would affect him. So I doubt very much he wants to finish in Denver just so the Knicks don't have to give anything up.

IMO, his priorities are:

1. Getting the full $65 million
    2. Going to the Knicks
    3. How competitive the Knicks are after he goes there.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think the Nuggets' reasoning for keeping Melo--moreso than revenue generation--would be their expected return on either (a) a Melo extend-and-trade at the 2011 NBA Draft (highly improbable) or (b) a Melo sign-and-trade after the lockout. The rumored package(s) the Knicks are offering are not much better than what Denver could get from New York in a sign-and-trade deal later. That said, why trade him now?

From a money standpoint, it is quite likely that the Nuggets could pull off a Melo trade that would SAVE the team more in salary and tax than it would cost them at the box office, especially given Nuggets fans' newfound disdain for their lame duck superstar.

Remember, though, it's $65 million AFTER 2012. When you factor in Melo's current slated salary for 2011-12, should he not elect to opt out of his current deal and become a free agent, we're talking about a total of $83 million here.

Sure, there could be salary rollbacks under the new CBA. But that risk isn't great enough to walk away from $83 million to take your chances with whatever the new maximum starting salary, number of years and annual raises will be under the new CBA.

Completely agree with your order of priorities, though.

1 person likes this.
  12. scola4

scola4 Member

LOL! :grin:

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17341282?source=rss

Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony would take "real hard look" at re-signing, if no trade
    By Chris Dempsey
    The Denver Post

OAKLAND, CALIF. — Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said today he would "take a real hard look" at signing a three-year, $65 million contract extension with the Nuggets if he is not dealt by the Feb. 24 trading deadline.

The Nuggets have had the contract extension on the table since June. This is the first time since he was offered the contract that Anthony said publicly he might sign it.

Talking this morning after the team's shootaround, Anthony brushed off recent reports that he might be traded to the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I've never heard of that. That was a new one," Anthony said. "It is what it is. Everyday is something different. I guess now is the Lakers. Until I hear something from the people that I'm

Anthony said he hasn't heard any update from management about a potential trade, and if he isn't moved, he might sign. "I was thinking it was something that I would take a real hard look at ... and make my decision."

Though Anthony has always said he was keeping his options open, he hadn't talked publicly about possibly signing until today.

"As the days go on, that's something that I think about, that nothing might happen, that I'll be here, whether I have to deal with the free-agency market or re-sign the extension here with the Nuggets," he said.

Asked specifically to clarify if he might sign the extension if not traded, Anthony said, "Yeah."

A key regarding that decision, Anthony said, would be understanding what the Nuggets' plan is going forward after this season.

"I'd have to really know and understand what the future holds," Anthony said. "I'm hearing things about what direction they want to go in; they want to get younger and things like that. Though I'm 26, this is my eighth season. I'm not getting younger as far as the years go. Before you know it, I'll be in my 10th, 11th season already. That's something that I really got to take a look at."

The Nuggets are fielding offers from around the league for Anthony. The New York Knicks have long been considered the team Anthony most wants to play for, should he leave Denver. Trade talks with the Knicks are ongoing, as they are with other teams.

Anthony said it wouldn't be an easy decision on whether to sign the extension, nor a quick one. But, he admits to giving it more thought than at any other time since the start of the season because of the impending trade deadline.

Anthony is one of a number of Nuggets whose contracts either expire at the end of the season, or have an opt-out clause that would make them a free agent. Anthony has an opt-out clause, as does center Nene. The Nuggets are also working on a contract extension with coach George Karl.

As each day goes by, other Nuggets have said that it gets easier, that things appear more stable around the team. Anthony said all the trade talk isn't wearing him down and that the team needs to keep fighting to improve its playoff position.

"I think they feed off of me, and my energy," said Anthony, who is averaging 24.6 points and a career-high 7.8 rebounds. "If I come in here and my head is down and moping around and not practicing and not playing hard in games, then they are going to do the same thing. As long as I keep coming in and do what I gotta do and being the guy that I am and the person I am, then they have no worries about it."

Still, he said he is upset that there is a perception that he wants to leave Denver.

"I think a lot of people just look at the moment right now and don't realize all of the other years that I've put in and all of the stuff that I've done, not just for the organization, but for the city of Denver," he said. "And not just basketball, but off the court, too. I think a lot of people just look past that."

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Totally BS. I think after that stupid twitter incident. Someone is telling him to say all the right thing and not go down the same stupid path like Lebron.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I doubt that now!

Did you guys see the last 8 seconds of the game against GS?

His teammates didn't even get him the ball for the potential game winner. They lost and he threw his headband.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Melo should have hustled his behind up the court. I don't blame JR Smith for running the ball across the line because there were only 8 seconds left. Melo should have put himself in the middle of what was going on instead of standing way outside the play like he halfway wanted the ball. If there were more time left, he would have a legit reason to be ticked off. When time is running out like that, a player doesn't think the throw the ball backwards.

A major part of the blame falls squarely on Melo.

18. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

If he had sympathizers on the team before, I think he lost them by throwing his headband.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounds like Melo is putting the pressure on the Knicks to deal for him now, instead of hoping they can get him for free this summer as a free agent.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Denver was really smart, they wouldn't trade him to NY. Even if Denver decides to trade Melo on draft night to the Knicks, what do the Knicks have that can really help Denver? Nothing.

If I were the GM of the Nuggets, I would be looking at making a trade with the Clippers. Melo would have a better chance at winning a title in three years with them then going to NY. Also, the Clippers have draft picks, young talent, and can give them a trade exception.