1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Report: Carlos Correa not interested in signing contract extension

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by trickywhiteguy, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's seriously mind-boggling that he's only 22! I mean, thinking about how dangerous he already is as a 5 tool player, and considering that he's most likely not even going to hit his physical peak for another 3-4 years, that's freaking INSANE. If we can somehow continue to supplement the big league roster with well-timed FA acquisitions, and great top-end draft picks, he could be the anchor of an amazing perennial contender for the next 10 YEARS.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Looks like another case of a player's agent talking entirely too damn much.

On that note.... lol, Heyman

Straight from Carlos Correa's mouth:

"I've still got five more years of being here, so if the Astros come to me and they want to negotiate and the price is right, we'll consider it," Correa said. "Right now, I'm in the stage of my career where I'm just going to play baseball and try to put up numbers. They try to do something, it's got to be early. ... I've got to focus on playing good baseball so I can have good arbitration years."

"They haven't talked to me about anything," he said. "That's why I'm not worried about it. They haven't talked to me about money, they haven't talked to me about an extension, they haven't talked to me about being here for a longer time. I'm just playing baseball here with the Houston Astros.

"I love the team, I love the guys in this clubhouse, I love the fans, I love our stadium, so hopefully I can stay in Houston for the rest of my career."

"I've had a lot of offers for endorsements and stuff like that, and I want to focus on baseball this year," he said. "I feel like with the endorsements I have right now, it's enough."

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Of course, Correa's most likely just trying to walk his agent back, but man alive, what on earth possessed the man who's representing him to spill all that to Jon freaking Heyman.

craigharmann likes this.
  5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Correa basically just hinted......

Yankees will pay me 400 mill.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

From what he has shown he is not worth 400 million to me. I would offer him mike trout money 6/144. I don't think he will ever be as good as trout, but that contract was signed a few years ago so factoring in inflation that seems like a decent deal.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

They are talking about when he's a free agent. Trout simply bought out most of his arbitration years - completely different contexts.

8. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Why are they even talking about this at all to anyone publicly?

P.S....**** Jon Heyman right in the goat ass.

9. Buck Turgidson

...and making more money than Bud Norris

10. Buck Turgidson

He's a .275 hitter who doesn't steal bases...can we not crown him as a 5-tool god just yet. ARod he ain't.

Show me otherwise.

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Just hide and watch.

12. Buck Turgidson

No reason to hide, I just want him to live up to the hype people are slathering all over him.

mick fry and Bob Barker 007 like this.
  13. Bob Barker 007

I have the same questions and would like to see some evidence as well. Correa has had elite moments, but he is not a consistently elite player

mick fry likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he was, at this point, he'd be largely considered to be the greatest baseball player ever NOW (and going forward)... considering age and future growth potential.

But yes, he's not A-rod... and nobody ever was before A-rod.

If the bar is that Correa needs to be the MVP of the league by game 263 of his career at age 22, that's a magnificent bar. As it is, he's still the phenom of all phenoms that has ever put on a Houston uniform.... which you'd think would get a tad bit of respect/leeway from a fan-base that has had as fledgling a 50 year run as any.

There's the "prove it" crowd, and the crowd that's already crowned him. Both are off-base in regards to undermining his future potential and not recognizing that he still has a lot of room for improvement, respectively.

15. Air Langhi

I am pretty sure they are talking about buying out his arbitration years. We buy out his club control and arbitration years and in return we get a few years of free agent years.

16. Air Langhi

Even if he was to have an elite year there are have been a lot of guy with monster rookie years so I don't think you can say that.

17. Major

Major Member

Again, last year, he was considered the 5th best offensive player in baseball relative to his position, behind Trout, Altuve, Donaldson, and Kris Bryant, despite all the others being 3+ years older and in their primes. What exactly are your expectations for Correa right now?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course it wouldn't have been a given. Nothing is a given.

I'm just saying, that's where the hype would have undoubtedly have gone, had Correa just had an MVP year in his first full season... as it justifiably did with A-Rod.

But just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean he hasn't been impressive... and doesn't mean he can't reach that full potential.

20. Buck Turgidson

ARod, Mantle, Griffey, Williams, Trout, etc...I'm just saying temper the expectations until he does it.

I want, really want, to watch him do it.