1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[REPORT CARD] Grade Tilman/Morey's Roster Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Feb 7, 2019.

?

Tilman/Morey Report Card

1. A

22 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. B

76 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. C

75 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. D

43 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. E

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. F

52 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, because they are going to win easily, we don't need our 2019 FRP, Melton, 2020 SRP, 2022 SRP, a player to spend the 2019 MLE on, and Cash to buy a 2019 SRP?

Please consider what we burned.

thekad and luckyman76 like this.
  2. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm giving a B-. But it's only a B because of the hole we put ourselves in w/ Ryno's contract years back, and handing CP something so large that he can't pass that up.

Ryno is truly the one to blame, and Morey suffered quite a bit from his mistake of handing this contract to him. It was ridiculous then, it is still ridiculous today. Even if the cap had gone up the way we projected it would, Ryno would still be on an albatross contract, he is not worth that much.

If we exclude this signing of Ryno, and just talk about moving him and translating him to loss of picks and addition of Shump, I can't be mad, even with the fact that Morey took a long time to get this done.

But he clearly did not replace or upgrade from the loss of Ariza and Mbah a Moute on the wing. We need even more wing players today considering that all these other teams picked up on Morey's strategy. Long wing players who can hit 3s and guard multiple positions are getting picked up like crazy, and we're not equipped cap-wise to make any moves on that end. So we signed gambles on minimum contracts hoping that they pan out, and they failed miserably at playing this role.

I think it's clear we mismanaged the cap table, and doing damage control after several gambles while you claim that we're in contention is stupid.

bmelo likes this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Lol at morons really trying to justify a terrible front office season by saying "oh we arent winning anyways"

bmelo likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You don’t have to keep typing out the list. I have seen it. I get it.

I believe we have no chance this year. If we had to sacrifice all that **** so we have a better chance in the future I’m fine with it. It does appear next year will still be tough to add, But not impossible. And the next season it opens up a lot more.

And again I realize everyone is that much older by then, but not so old that they aren’t worthy of competing anymore.

Now, I’m assuming all of this was done under that rationale. If it turns out the next few years are a continuation of this penny pinching then I willl look back at this and be just as mad as some already are.

Right now I’m not.

s3ts likes this.
  5. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

So far only 1/3 give a A or a B.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But, that's a false correlation. I can just as easily say (with facts) it doesn't give us any extra chance in the future at all.

I'm a huge fan of Morey's ability to maintain CBA flexibility and salary flexibility, and draft 2nd rounders. I'm depressed that this gave him no value moving foward...except Shump
    • He is strapped by the CBA on buying, resigning role players,
    • and the starters are locked into contracts.

What is it that you see as his spending opportunities, now?

J Sizzle and luckyman76 like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ok? Like what does it prove if I now pull out an article saying something different? lol

Truth is, teams top 10 in offense and defense always have a chance to win, just like we did last season. The Bucks are ranked better than we were AND they just got better. Raptors are top 10 in both (while casually resting Kawhi for easy games) and just added Gasol for Val.

Warriors should win AND there are teams with better shot than we had. Warriors are not better with DeMarcus, he is a weakness they didn't have, and he won't score more efficiently than Durant/Curry - who he's taking shots from.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

Rivers, Faried, and Shumpert are strong additions. They are exactly the sort of capable depth that a team around a transcendent star needs. Getting out from under Anderson's contract is a significant move as well. That all is A grade material. However, you asked to included the summer in review. The summer was a disaster. Ennis, Melo, Knight, Chriss, and MCW? If Morey actually thought any of that was going to work, that's an embarrassment. I don't think he actually thought they would work, I suspect he viewed all as lottery tickets. Which is fine. So the main problem is he did nothing in the summer as a reliable improvement. So I think where they are at is A worthy, but I deduct to a B for the summer of lotto love.

An eight of Harden, Paul, Capela, Gordon, Tucker, Faried, Rivers, and Shumpert is extremely strong. Championship contender caliber if all are healthy and Harden can avoid choking.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The only way we improve moving forward is to make a trade or look st the g-league for players. I know people love P.J. but he’s one of the few players with real value. EG is the other. Given that Morey gave up next years draft, and we don’t have the cap space to sign a significant player, the options for improving this team are limited.

Honestly, all this talk about “win now” mode is BS. We had our chance last year and that window is almost closed since we have an injury-prone player with an all-star salary. Next year is EG’s final year of his contract so my guess is he’s traded. Regardless, we don’t have any young up-n-coming players outside of Capela. Just look at Philly, Milwaukee, Boston, and tell me if our future looos brighter. Yes, they sacrificed a few years being bad but stashed draft picks to create a brighter future.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

honestly have no idea how anyone is giving out an A...17 of them so far is astonishing

HP3, Ming The King and s3ts like this.
  11. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree.
    If that is an A, what is the grade for getting AD

HP3 likes this.
  12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If you got one I’d love to see it.

And the numbers pretty clearly show they are better with DC. Curry and KD aren’t losing shots either.

The Warriors had a slow start for them and for a while now have been dominating more than they usually dominate. The numbers are right there.

Year long net rating is 7.4
    January 13.3
    Last 15 games 14.9
    Last 8 with DC 14.4

Also the Warriors are stronger title favorites in Vegas right now then they were at the start of last years playoffs.

#92 jordnnnn, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    HP3 likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Do you really think I can't find an article saying a team other than the Warriors might win the title? Come on dude. That's a pointless exercise. Offer me something for pulling it up.

The reason the Warriors are better favorites now is because at the start of the playoffs, we had just secured #1 seed. Right now they are trending up and they are in contention for 1st seed.

Look, we don't have to agree that other team's have a chance. That's a highly subjective question. It's disingenuous for you to act like there is no other viable opinion just because you believe otherwise.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

C. They did exactly what they had to, nothing more, nothing less.

Getting Shump was an improvement over Ennis.
    Losing a first was a strong negative.
    Dumping Knight and Chriss and finishing the Anderson fallout was positive.
    Opening two roster spots was positive.
    Jury is out on how those spots get filled.

No stars, not really needle moving, but we got rid of every guy that had no value, gained some cap/MLE flexibility, and built depth.

A very unsexy but OK transaction.

#94 napalm06, Feb 8, 2019
  15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Yes, 65 wins and we defeated the Warriors in reality. I'll take the arrows. It's an F. This all goes back to Ryno. Morey's fatal flaw killed us. Yes, we are better and there is hope for THIS season but the opportunity of two years has been thrown in the trash as we let that anchor sit on our bench for two years and sink this team. This goes back to before the PG13 trade. We were prepared to sacrifice 4 1sts for General Soreness earlier this year. Morey showed you his desperation but all the while he has shown his ego and TF played it like a fiddle. Morey was compromised. With his limited mission after his tremendous failure, yes he did well. However, the price for Ryno when he still had some positive perception before last season was two 1sts. Guess what we paid the other day. Slightly more than that in the end.

Morey famously got Harden because he was the ultimate penny pincher. He scoured the roster for every single morsel of an asset and flipped a penny into a dime OVER AND OVER. He continued to do this everywhere EXCEPT Ryno. If he would have paid for his mistake before PG13 when there were offers (remember he wanted to do only 1 1st or multiple 2nds) he could have done a 3-way to use positive assets with 1sts and maybe PG13 is on this team right now and we are staring at two championships in a row. Let's say the PG13 deal likely never happened but he still swallowed his pride and did the smart thing. He would have had two years of positive assets to both use on the floor and in trades to again work his asset flipping magic. Perhaps he regains some of the assets he lost all while we win last year's championship. This time, during the General Soreness trade we actually aren't flipping 1sts attached to negative assets but actually getting the job done. We PERMANENTLY squandered the opportunity to fix the Ryno debacle and threw away two years when we KNEW what the cost was and KNEW we had to get rid of him. We didn't do it until this week and we are dumber for it. This isn't hindsight. This was exhaustively, consistently, universally KNOWN here for TWO YEARS.

As Vivi mentioned in another post, our only hope now to get someone like General Soreness is to have them agree to a SNT with our 3 1st and EGo. Not to mention our tax situation with SNT would put us at the untenable apron. That has worked out so well for us in the past... We KNEW this was the era of super teams. We discussed it ad nauseum last year and in the offseason. Look at what we have now, Harden killing himself (becoming greater than we could have ever hoped) against several teams that are getting better while we are sabotaged at the top. This feels like TMac and Yao all over again for the coming years with a TF reward for our stupidity.

pippendagimp and Hustle Town like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

C-

He’s done a good job dealing with the Ryan Anderson disaster but still that contract has been an absolute disaster for the Rockets. He has done well countering the strikeout of an off-season with the buyout moves with Faried and Rivers. I like the Shumpert addition as well. He pulled the trigger too quick with Gary Clark and couldn’t lock down a deal with House. Obviously that’s more on House, but still it has to be noted.

The only thing saving Morey this year is Harden unlocking god mode. The Capela injury sucks because he has been healthy for the most part but we don’t have a serviceable big behind him. He gave Nene that 3 year deal and he was actually saved by the league because he wanted to give him a 4 year deal. Nene will be a nice filler next year but he is almost effectively retired at this point.

We knew CP3 would get hurt at some point and that mega deal was an all in risk. So far it’s not looking very promising since we effectively punted this trade deadline and elected to get under the luxury tax instead of trying to add more assets.

Overall Morey has been nimble with his moves but this has been a pretty rough year in my eyes.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol my opinion is rooted in statistical fact.

Their offense and team as a whole has taken off. Their net rating is starting to leave everyone else’s in the dust. Boogie has made them better and it’s not debatable. The hope that he would come in and still be unhealthy and throw a wrench into theor system has been squashed.

Teams have a chance yeah but it’s not good. None will do better than what we did last year.

What you offered was an article claiming the Warriors aren’t as heavy favorites as they were last year. That these new “contenders” stand a real chance.

I read more stupid NBA material than I like to admit. I haven’t seen anything convincing me that anyone but GS is holding that trophy.

Hell Simmons and Russilo on their deadline podcast talked about how what we did to the Durant Warriors squad is likely the best anyone will ever do. Something along the lines of Daryl put together a championship team, it just didn’t win the title and it’s a shame.

#97 jordnnnn, Feb 8, 2019
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Rooted in statistics is not facts. In statistical fact, the Cavs shouldn't have win a championship and the Rockets should not have taken the Warriors to 7. The best statistical or the most talented team doesn't always win the NBA.

"None will do better than we did last year" is an opinion. We were a top 2 offense and roughly a top 10 defense. Bucks are a top 4 offense and #1 defense. The Warriors have never played a team of that calibre, and Cousins has not been put in playoff hell-fire yet. Ryan Anderson - who is worth the minimum today, if that - helped us win more than half our games in the regular season as a starter. We couldn't put him on the floor against the Warriors.

Let's just agree to disagree and see what happens.

HP3 likes this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If you were to post this poll in other Rockets groups, it'd be like 80% F. Surprisingly on CF, most people don't give our deadline moves an F.

20. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

A+

We dumped some bad contracts in Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss.
    Picked up a veteran swingman G/SF in Iman Shumpert who is a plus defender and shoots the ball well from 3pt line.
    Dumped James Ennis' bad contract for a draft pick.
    Then dumped the trash we had to take on in the Shumpert trade for a draft pick.
    AND we are below the luxury tax now and could still pick up a guy off the waiver wire who can contribute.

I don't understand all the pessimism... :confused: