1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Attempted Coup occuring in Turkey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 15, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was thinking the govt pulled the plug on the internet, not the coup -- for the very same reason that it would be much easier for the govt to do it than a coup. Also, was thinking that a coup would use it to rally support.

But I don't know.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can't say I'm shocked at the apparent coup attempt, given Erdogan's Islamic proclivities and the military's long tradition of supporting secularism, but the possibility of internal strife is a real worry. As was mentioned earlier, it is damn near impossible to prevent the free flow of information these days, unless you're the PRC. We'll have to wait for events to unfold and hope that violence is kept to a minimum.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hearing on the news that Erdogan is on the air on private television stations.
    If this is a coup it doesn't appear very organized likely doesn't include all of the military.

My own opinion is while I'm no fan of Erdogan this coup seems like a bad idea. I was very impressed with Turkey's economic progress and this will hurt it at a time when there are a lot of other issues. Even though the people behind the coup are likely secular and opposed to further Islamicization of Turkey I doubt Europe is comfortable with a potential member where the government came to power by coup.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

According to the military tonight's action will 'reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated'.
    The military statement went on to say that 'all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue'.

Let's hope Erdogan steps aside for the good of his country and countrymen. Calling for citizens to fight is so irresponsible.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

News fatigue...

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I actually agree with you (are you shocked?), but would prefer that it was by an election. Erdogan was/is a danger to his country, in my opinion.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Go military.

Erdogan would NEVER leave due to an election.

This is the right way, and only way to get rid of him.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Its not irresponsible to ask the public..if it was a real democracy that was in jeopardy.
    If it was
    An explosion now in the national tv station in ankara.
    Now a general of the first batallion says that its not done by them.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Would you be happy/satisfied if the judicial courts ruled the military's action to be legal?

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree with Deck. It's sad to see that a country like Turkey that was close to being a first world country is resorting to coups rather than change through the ballot box.

11. malakas

malakas Member

The people that are in taksim are actually the gray Wolves. What a surprise.

12. malakas

malakas Member

The army has left the airport and the public has retaken it. Things dont look good for the junta.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just heard that the military is saying that all international treaties and agreements will be honored. I'm guessing they are going to go out of their way to calm international concerns. Also this coup might not have any thing do with Turkey reestablishing relations with Israel.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not a big fan or Erdogan. But, even less of a fan of military coups. Win or lose, just having the coup is bad news.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Oh wonderful... Nothing can go wrong with this.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Explosion heard in Turkish capital Ankara and military helicopter opens fire: witnesses

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I would be happy to see Erdogan gone, but any action taken, or not taken, by the judicial system will have to await events. This is not over.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wonder if this go round will more likely provoke insurgencies with Kurds or whatever other sects or groups in or near Turkey.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Analyst here says that till one hour ago everything seemed like th e the military coup lwould prevail easilly but after erdogan appeared and then giul things changed a lot. They retook the airport and they try to retake the bosphorus b ridges. But the army started shooting.
    Now there is some wounded in the bridges.
    I wouldnt be surprised if erdogan wins.