1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replace current Howard by 08-09 Yao to pair with Harden, do you think the Rockets will be better or

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yl89123, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Is it just my imagination, or did Yao perform very well against Dwight.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yao outplayed Dwight on most occasions.

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I'm glad you inserted the laugh because I can't even imagine how effective D-Mo and a healthy Yao would be. Both could play close to the basket or away from the basket, obviously taking "turns." Yao was a superb free throw shooter, which Howard isn't. With Yao, D-Mo, Brewer and Harden, would we even need a play-making PG?

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Apples to oranges. Who is better on this team? 08 09 Yao or 08 09 howard

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yao was a better offensive player by far. His back to the basket, turn around jump shots and hook shots were a thing of beauty. D-Mo's post moves and hook shots have been impressive this year, but they are nothing compared to what Yao was able to do. He was a fantastic free throw shooter as well.

Defensively, Yao was good just because he was so big. But Howard has clearly been a better defender overall for his career. Yao would get into trouble because he wasn't mobile enough and get into foul trouble. He wasn't quick enough if he had to chase down rebounds. Yao was a good defender, but Dwight Howard has been an elite defender for his career.

Overall, I really think it would be a pretty lateral move.....if they were both healthy. I would take Yao- if healthy. But I just have so many bad memories of every offseason saying "we will be championship contenders! if Yao can stay healthy!" only to have him not stay healthy.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

Back then, the Orlando Magic's offense was "Throw the ball to Dwight. Let him be bigger and stronger and more athletic than the guy guarding him. When the defense collapses on him, pass it out to 1 of 4 open three point shooters."

Whenever the Magic played the Rockets, Dwight wasn't bigger or stronger than Yao and wasn't able to back him down or push him around. It allowed the rest of our defenders to stay on their shooters so they weren't able to get open 3 point shots. It might just be my memory, but I remember us usually beating them fairly easily whenever they played.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

08 09 Howard. One of the best players in the league and wasn't dealing with stress fractures in his feet.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yao was unstoppable pretty much...and had a mid range shot and shot incredibly high at the line. Shame that the NBA Schedule and China used him up before his time came.

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yao better offense, Dwight better defense and rebounding.

Pretty close overall