1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) pushes back on Trump criticism of 'Saturday Night Live'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

In before someone comes in and says oh it always made political jokes. SNL can do politics all it wants, but it really needs to fix its key issue: the show has no talent hacks. Jimmy Falon lowered the bar and it never went back up.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Agreed mostly. Kate McKinnon is genuinely talented though.

Most of their skits are horribly acted and are just awakard with awful punchline delivery. Many times I don't know when to laugh.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I thought Fallon was sooo bad but on The Tonight Show he is good. That being said when be got the Tonight Show gig i couldn't believe it

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, my wife has only known the more recent seasons of SNL (having arrived in the States 8 years ago) and comments that the show isn't very funny (occasional skits notwithstanding). I'm sorry she missed out on the occasional golden years: The Pepsi Syndrome, C-I-L-L my landlord, etcetera. Some of the cultural references would have gone over her head but fuuuuuuuuuuunny.

Hilarious that some Trump voters are so bent out of shape about the show that they refer to it as the "media". Um, yeah, it's satire. But I'm not surprised. To vote for the guy you had to be slightly removed from reality in the first place.

Amiga, mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There is no such thing as conservative humor. Look at Dennis Miller or Huckabee's weak attempts. Humor is a coping mechanism for perceived pains and sleights. The very notion of conservatism is things are great for us, let's preserve them the way they are.... see no pain to cope with. The big guys, rich and powerful guys cannot belittle people less fortunate. It's not funny, it's just dickish.

And SN is still the gold standard for funny. People have been saying the same old "it's not funny anymore" for 30 years. The past couple of seasons have been as funny as ever and their ratings have increased. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifi...-the-best-ratings-in-44-seasons/#9f4e08f67acf

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

She’s in your head

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

guilty

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

yeah being a finger wagging, lecturing talk show host is way more up his alley...

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

the fact that you think that is what conservatism is, is why you are partisan . . .

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Tim Pool is a true champion.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Feel free to expound on the basis of American Conservatism,

My partisanship supports: expansion of human rights, protection of the natural environment, expanded educational opportunities, income equity, truthfulness in all things, campaign finance reform (legislative reform of Citizens United), Single payer Healthcare with negotiated prescription prices using economies of scale, opposition to governments that don't allow free elections, breaking up Big Banks and other monopolies etc.