1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rep Al Green: Extend Free Housing for Evacuees til 2008

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by F.D. Khan, Mar 22, 2007.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/4648380.html

House set to extend housing subsidies for Katrina victims
    Rep. Green adds provision to move evacuees to HUD program for 2008

By MICHAEL HEDGES
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — Nearly 20,000 Hurricane Katrina evacuees living in Houston would have their federal housing subsidies extended through the end of the year under an amendment passed by the House on Tuesday.

The provision, introduced by U.S. Rep. Al Green, D-Houston, was part of a bill aimed at continuing the efforts to restore housing wiped out by a series of storms in the late summer of 2005, including Hurricane Rita that ravaged Southeast Texas. The bill was expected to be approved by the House today.

"The vast majority of all families receiving FEMA rental assistance are those who could least afford to endure the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina," Green said. "These survivors have lived day to day, week to week, and month to month hoping and praying that FEMA would extend its deadlines."

After the end of 2007, Katrina evacuees eligible for Housing and Urban Development grants would automatically be transitioned to those so-called Section 8 vouchers.

"HUD, not FEMA, is best suited to meet the mid- and long-term needs of Katrina victims," Green said.

Republicans said the Green amendment was unnecessary, citing President Bush's willingness to extend the FEMA housing vouchers repeatedly. Some GOP House members also feared that extending the deadline encouraged dependency.

"Sometimes the toughest love is to actually force them to move on and take the next step," said Rep. Randy Neugebauer, R-Lubbock. "It is time to make some permanent decisions."

The cost of the deadline extensions and moving people from FEMA assistance to HUD vouchers would be about $400 million, Green said. Since late 2005, Congress has authorized a total of $110 billion in hurricane relief.

The amendment passed late Tuesday by a vote of 246-184, with all Democrats who voted, and 14 Republicans, in favor.

Green had also sought to get reimbursement for landlords who took in Katrina evacuees. But that provision was not adopted by the bill sponsors.

The Katrina relief bill scheduled for a final House vote is aimed at extending various forms of housing assistance for Gulf Coast hurricane victims.

Among its provisions is prevention of the demolition of damaged public housing.

Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank,

D-Mass., and other Democrats said Tuesday that many public housing units remain habitable and should be reopened to former residents.

But Republicans argued that preventing the demolition of some public housing would simply perpetuate some conditions for crime that existed before Katrina.

2. F.D. Khan

Ok I'll Start:

Only 2 years is not enough of free rent?

After the fema card debacle and the fact that many people have been living off of our taxpayer money for free for over a year and a half, they wish to extend it to over two years?

Where is the accountibility?

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Time to cut the cord yo. It's a terrible tragedy but it's also time to move on.

4. Major

Major Member

Depends. Mississippi just finished up a lawsuit against State Farm, other insurance companies are dragging their feet, FEMA has been slow to provide basic necessity payments, the federal government has dispersed only a fraction of the promised aid, etc, etc. I don't know how all that comes together, but a lot of these people are likely in limbo waiting for aid that was promised to them.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

its not like their living in luxurious apartments

where would you rather have your tax money go? to the iraq war? yeah lots of accountability there..

6. F.D. Khan

What the hell does the Iraq War have to do with it?
    I don't care what they are living in, it is our tax dollars
    paying for it?

And speaking of luxury, many people that are recieving free living
    already abused the system as Louis Vuitton Purses, TopLess Bars
    and Best Buy were some reported places in which the FEMA Cards
    were used.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/charity/debitcard.asp

7. vlaurelio

speaking of your tax money, where do you think majority of it goes to?

so you don't care if they live on the street as long as they don't touch a small fraction your tax dollars?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

let's stay together....
    whether times are good or bad
    happy or sad.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yes, we need more welfare. that would solve everything.

:rolleyes:

10. vlaurelio

yeah.. giving shelter to people who lost their homes and now have nothing is too much..

domestic welfare is not as important as foreign welfare :rolleyes:

i'm not saying extend housing for everyone, only those who most deserve it..

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Your attempts to bring in the Iraq war here are unfounded and absurd.

Two years is plenty of time to find housing and work. If you haven't found a job by now, it's your fault. Period. It's not the job of the government.

12. halfbreed

You are being purposely dense here. We're not talking about foreign welfare. It IS too much to expect taxpayers to foot the bill for others for 2 years. We've already given them a year and a half. Should they just live off the government forever?

13. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

On the one hand, I'm not sure if we are obligated to pay their shelter and that our tax money could be better spent elsewhere. I would also prefer they are sheltered and not roam around my neighborhood and make it unsafe. Crime has gone up in my apartment complex since Katrina, and cutting them off will make it really bad I fear.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm in favor of getting them out and on their feet again. Kick 'em out of the nest and let them fly. This action just provides the incentive to sit on their butts and accomplish nothing. Time to disconnect the suction cup to the government's teet.

15. vlaurelio

can someone tell me what % of the budget goes to this extension?

16. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Are there currently job assistance programs to help Katrina people get jobs? If so, I'd like to know how successful they are. If not, they better get on the ball and get these people employed.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Another Faisal D. Khan poor people suck post.

Must be Thursday again.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the usual suspects

19. halfbreed

Another SamFisher "I'm going to assume that everyone who disagrees with me hates other people" post.

It's not poor people that suck. It's people that expect the government to keep paying for them after 2 years. There is no reason that these people should still be expecting this type of aid after 2 years. Period.

20. vlaurelio

are you saying its not possible that they lost everything two years ago, moved to a new city, spent upto 6 months getting used to here, spent upto another 1 yr trying to find a job or learning a new skill, then for the past 6 months to 1 year worked hard and earn just enough to live day to day, and just need some sort extension to save some money?

or you think that all poor people are just plain lazy and they don't deserve this..

btw, how many years and money have iraqis been given to take care of their own security?